Navicular Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Equine Health Forum » Navicular « Previous Next »

MrPerfections (mrperfections)
Username: mrperfections

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, I am babysitting a horse with Navicular. He isn't being ridden but he is out 24/7/365 which is good for movement. But, I feel badly that he is out on such hard ground, and when it's icy and rock hard, it really puts stress on horses legs even if they don't have navicular. What are you all's opinion on him being out 24/7? Does anyone have experience with this? He comes into his straight stall for feeding, but then goes right back out. He is in his 20's, and me taking him is going to be expensive I've already been thru taking care of my senior guy for the past 7 years. The owner can hardly afford him, he is such a sweet horse. What I'm wondering if you think he should be stalled overnight, or is being out better for navicular horses, even in New England in the winter. He is wearing winter shoes on all 4 feet. I've talked to the vet and she suggested we can pull his rear shoes in the spring, since he isn't being worked.
delilah (delilah)
Username: delilah

Post Number: 3986
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does he have a run in? If so mats and good bedding will give him a soft place to rest.

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He doesn't have his own run in.. He shares a huge outdoor shed with 7 other horses. No mat. :-(
delilah (delilah)
Username: delilah

Post Number: 3987
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does he look uncomfortable?
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13470
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He's better off being able to move around as much as possible. Having a nice dry warm place to lay down would be nice for him though but hard to do when you're part of a herd. If he looks like he is moving around okay then there is your answer.
Everything is a choice.
tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3695
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 04:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mare has had navicular for the past six or seven years in at least one front foot that I know of. She's been fine in all day and twenty four hour turnout with access to a she'd or stall. She prefers to lie down at night on a stall especially in winter.

She has winter front shoes with pads but since she developed Cushing's she's very prone to abscesses which are much more of a problem for her. I rode her for years with the navicular with no problems. The only time she was lame is if she ran and leaped around a lot on frozen ground then I just gave her a previcoxx or some banamine. But only at night because I wanted her a bit more for turnout so she wouldn't race around and buck like a rodeo bronc and hurt herself daily.
susieq8163 (susieq8163)
Username: susieq8163

Post Number: 710
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2019 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My daughter horse use to show in WP in QH circuit and no matter what we did to keep her sound she would get off just before a show. So we retired her and brought her home and put her out with my 2 trail horses after 2 years of fighting the fight I decided if being bare foot would keep more comfortable and donít get ridden. She has been bare foot for 5 years now and never seen her take a sore feet
tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3696
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 04:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everyone's different. My mare had been sound in light work barefoot after I stopped competing her for a few years. Then suddenly went lame on the navicular foot.
Mild corrective front shoes are the only way that she stayed sound even after I completely stopped riding her about three years ago.
Barefoot doesn't work for her, even doing nothing. I've tried several times.
Gigi Bee (gigi)
Username: gigi

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 05:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I only wish barefoot would work for my horse. it would be so much cheaper!!

Post Number: 182
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 05:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gigi I hear you. But, if you look on Cavallo-inc.com website they tell you that horses can live with just these boots on their fronts. I would love to try it .. in the spring for him. Recently, I purchased an Easyboot Cloud Theraputic Hoof boot for when he looses a shoe.. but I was thinking of going back to Smart Pak and buying another one.. And maybe see how he does. He is not dead lame, but you can tell his right front is sore at times. The vet just injected him with that Osphos shot for Navaciluar. Cha Ching.. very expensive.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13476
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boots can certainly help as a short term solution. Remember that it took time for the "navicular" to develop and it will take time for it to heal. Just pulling shoes isn't the answer. Learn what a balanced foot looks like and make sure your toes are short and heels are growing straight down. Under slung heels and long toes are a major contributor to pain in the back part of the hoof. There are many trimmers/farriers out there who are able to get a navicular horse sound with proper trimming and healthy lifestyles but it's a process so one must be patient.
Everything is a choice.
Gigi Bee (gigi)
Username: gigi

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 03:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used the Cavallo boots many years ago with my senior mare. She had suffered a mild case of laminitis at one point in her life, had side bone and some arthritic changes as well. In her old age we were mainly just walking out on the trails so we pulled her shoes and she did well for many years. I liked the boots but they were a struggle to get on and off. I typically used them all winter when the ground was hard or if I knew we would be in areas where it was rocky. If I were to buy them again I would definitely have company representative or my farrier come and measure for the boots. I felt like mine might have been a bit on the tight side but she did well in them! My current mare has terrible feet, grows no heal and has a club foot. Shoes seem to do the trick. If I had something else to ride I would love to pull her shoes and give her a year barefoot to see if she could adjust with proper trimming.
bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 6445
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 05:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This looks about right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XzoHVAaT2U

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration