Hay Pillow Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Equine Health Forum » Hay Pillow « Previous Next »

sonnie (sonnie)
Username: sonnie

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2018 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone tried one of these?
https://www.thehaypillow.com/
I have used a slow feed net,but this
looks interesting.

I would just be using it for a small pone

in his stall. (Doesn't wear shoes)

Thanks!
Nancy
MrPerfections (mrperfections)
Username: mrperfections

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 03:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks excellent.. I wanted to board at a place that used them, but they told me I couldn't if my horse was wearing shoes. So I couldn't board with them. But, wanted to. It's such a great way for getting horses to graze all day long. Just be careful of shoes I guess.
melg27 (melg27)
Username: melg27

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 08:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use them for my mare. I prefer the hay chix hay nets but my barn owner finds the hay pillows easier to fill. I attach mine to the wall(very low to the ground so the pillow is flat on the floor) because if not, it ends up stepped on and in the manure/urine. The company does not advise doing this because the wear and tear is greater but I have to say that for the most part, they have held up well.
sonnie (sonnie)
Username: sonnie

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much for your input MrPerfections
and Melq27.
melq27 - I didn't even think of it
getting ruined that way. Something
to think about. I would have to attach
to the wall also.
memom (memom)
Username: memom

Post Number: 5139
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 03:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Id worry about getting hoof caught in it if attached to the wall.
"Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."(author?)MA
melg27 (melg27)
Username: melg27

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 07:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use an eye bolt tucked into the space made by one of the boards around the stall door .I have also used a plastic dome thingy you can get where you find door hardware/door stops. I just cut a slit in the plastic and slid it over the eyebolt so only enough protruded to get the double end snap in. Always a risk but in 5 years, no issues.
maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 6019
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for posting about the hay pillow. My girl has recently had a choke from being a piggy and trying to inhale her second cut hay that I mix with first cut. The hay pillow looks like it will really help me get her to slow down. I am going to try one. I have always been against hay nets since I read of a horse strangling in one. If a horse can find a way to get into trouble he will. The hay pillow looks safe and just what I need right now for my piggy girl. Thank you so much for posting!!
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13444
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 08:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mares, there are proper ways to tie a hay net and if done properly they can not get it around their neck. I thought about the hay pillow but then it would have to be attached to something or I just know it would wind up in a pile of poop! So I decided to stick with the small hole hay nets. I've used them for 13 years now and have never had an issue safety wise....but then I know how to tie them properly too.
Everything is a choice.

Post Number: 6020
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jc i was taught how to tie a hay net when i was a working student a million years ago. I never saw anything bad happen with them either. I did read a post here years ago of a horse that lost his life from one. I like the idea of a hay pillow since zero chance of that as well as natural ground grazing. Those 2 things convinced me to give it a try. It could very well end up in the poop but I like it enough to try it. Ill let u know how it works out. So yeah hay nets are ok and serve a purpose I just like the idea behind the hay pillow. A little pricey but hopefully its worth it!
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 13445
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 07:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes mares, repost how you like it please!! I am also worried my horse might flip it too close or under the electric fence.
Are you going to anchor it or just toss it out there?
Everything is a choice.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 13446
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 07:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just reading the info. on them and it only holds 8lbs. of hay which is not enough for me. They also don't recommend they be used with a horse that wears shoes and not to anchor them except by putting a rock inside them. My guys barefoot but I can see an issue with putting a rock inside there if they grab the bag and lift it up and flip it around. I think I'll just stick with my small hole hay nets. I could buy 10 hay nets for the price of one of those pillows.
Everything is a choice.

Post Number: 6022
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm... All very good points. Will have to think more on this one... My girl wears front shoes. She has been bolting and getting a choke every once in a while. I like that it looked like they could get hay without being frustrated. I was going to try it without a rock, just like it is. She is very good and "I think" would stand and eat it like the horses in the video. But can't be sure till I try it. I do need to slow her down right away though. That is my main objective here. I have electric tape fencing so not conducive to a hanging net. She usually just stands and eats and doesn't push her hay under, but again wouldn't know till I got it. I'd have to do refills with only 8 pounds but right now I've reduced her hay and she gets a lot of hay stretcher mashes along with frequent small hay feeds, until we sort this problem out, so I guess I am looking at it from a different perspective, until I get her stabilized again. She's been seen by vet and dentist recently, so hoping her problem gets resolved soon. Good points though for sure.
Rudy (rudy12)
Username: rudy12

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use the hay pillows and love them. I did hear that they are not recommended for horses with shoes because they can get caught in the pillow. I have a few on the ground and a few hanging on the fence (3 horses together) and so far they are great!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration