Grade 4 bleeding ulcers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Equine Health Forum » Grade 4 bleeding ulcers « Previous Next »

sonnie (sonnie)
Username: sonnie

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 04:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi-my friends horse recently was diagnosed with a
gastric impaction. With the vets help - that passed. The scope showed bleeding grade 4 ulcers.
He just doesn't want to eat. Anyone have experience
with this? Any tips?
Thanks!
Carrots (carrots)
Username: carrots

Post Number: 702
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 01:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. Put on ulcergard or gastrogard immediately to begin healing those ulcers.
My horse was also on sucralfate and other meds to heal the ulcers.
Didn't the vet mention the importance and need for ulcer or gastrogard?
I would feed a mash of hay pellets and ration balancer. Lots of small meals.
You would not be hungry if your stomach had grade 4 bleeding ulcers.
They can perforate... A very unpleasant way to die.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13188
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 08:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What Carrots said. Also she can add alfalfa to help with the issue as well. Free choice hay will also help keep those stomach acids buffered.
Everything is a choice.
sonnie (sonnie)

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 09:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks - yes, he is on gastrogard and just started
sucralfate. But still not eating...
Diarrhea. Vet doesn't want him to have hay right now.
She's tried lots of feeds - eats a little and then
stops...Drinking very little.
Carrots (carrots)

Post Number: 703
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 08:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has the vet considered IV Fluids?
My horses really like the Poulin min bites.
I agree about the alfalfa cubes soaked.
Eating just a little is ok.
Hay is a no so as not to injure the ulcers and stomach wall.
Jingles to getting horse to eat.
Try Poulin min bites, or any hay stretcher, etc
sonnie (sonnie)

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She will talk to the vet about IV fluids - thanks!
Also will see if she can get some Poulin min bites
into him - so that's a form of hay stretcher? Do
you soak them?
How empty does the stomach need to be before giving
them the Gastrogard and Sucralfate? He does have a little bit of grass in his run in that he nibbles on...
Carrots (carrots)

Post Number: 704
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 03:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes they need the IV fluids because they're not eating or drinking enough.
I would think probably before I fed for these meds but I don't know if it's really that important. Oneprazole, which is Gastrogard or Ulcergard is only administered once a day.
Other meds such as sucralfate or ranitidine are administered 3 times a day.
Poulin min bites are a hay stretcher.... Fed wet or dry... They breakdown easily and are tiny.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13190
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My suggestion for free choice hay was for going forward. Limiting a horses hay can cause ulcer's. I don't know what the horses situation is, so I just put it out there. But...I can understand not wanting to further irritate the gut, but a nice soft second cut soaked would probably be helpful and let the horse have the calories and fiber that they need?
Everything is a choice.
sonnie (sonnie)

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 01:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advise.
I did/will forward it on to my friend.
She did try the Poulin min bites and it worked
yesterday for lunch and dinner.
Not sure whats going on today - but fingers crossed!
Again - appreciate your input!
susieq8163 (susieq8163)
Username: susieq8163

Post Number: 689
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2018 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe in feeding hay all day in slow feeder nets , or mare was shown in the QH circuit and only getting feed twice a day and when we went over to see her I alway brought more hay to throw in her stall to help with boredom . I noticed she was getting real nasty when I would walk her out and she was nuts , she would rear and try to strike you. ( gut pain) when my daughter decided she didnít show no more we took her home and put her outside with my other 2 and she really loves my horse they are always together , they get 3 feedings and sometimes4 feeding a day and heavy on the hay and light on the grain, she no long has the belly ache since she gets lots of hay

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration