Winter snow will not meet your horses... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Equine Health Forum » Winter snow will not meet your horses water needs « Previous Next »

maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 5544
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From Getty Nutrition site:

http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/Tipofthemonth/Tipofthemonth.htm

SNOW WILL NOT MEET YOUR HORSE'S WATER NEEDS!
Piles of fluffy snow in your pasture—and a horse that nibbles at them—making you think your horse is all set for water this winter? Sorry. Think again, please! The main cause of colic during the winter is from reduced water consumption. Snow will not provide enough water: A gallon (128 fluid ounces) of average-moisture snow only contains 10 ounces of water, far short of the 8-12 gallons of water your horse should consume each day. Also, eating snow will force your horse to burn precious calories to keep his body temperature steady.

Horses will not drink enough when the water is icy cold. Plan on heating your horse’s water to 50° F. And don’t forget the salt—it is necessary for electrolyte balance as well as to encourage your horse to drink. Either add table salt to each meal (one tablespoon, twice daily) or offer it free choice in a small bucket. A white salt block is helpful, though many horses avoid them. Mineralized or blue (from added iodine and cobalt) salt blocks are only appropriate if hay is the single feed source or if your horse is not receiving minerals from fortified feeds or supplements.
Abby Peterson (abbyp)
Username: abbyp

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 08:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ha ha, yeah, we moved from a (very expensive!) boarding facility once after being told (upon repeatedly finding the water trough frozen solid) that our horses could just "eat snow". We were out of there so fast it made a big popping sound.
bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 6046
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 05:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All my horses should be dead. The water hole is surrounded by ice in the winter. The horses grazing on grass covered with snow 20 hrs a day. They will take in way more water than you think, even if it's on the dry side. Watch them eat grass and a mouth full of snow at the same time. They are also getting plenty of exercise doing this, exercise that a stalled horse isn't getting.

Post Number: 5552
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 06:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your horses may survive, but this is certainly not ideal.

My horses munch snow with their hay in the winter but they also drink their 5-10 gallons or more a day. If not enough water, will show in their water weight loss and I'd be worried about potential colic.

Hoping you and your horses all have a good winter. Hoping we'll get lucky and it won't be a bad one.

My horses are out all day but in at night and in bad storms. Yours have access to a lean to. Different management but seems to work for both of us,fortunately so far. QTee might like a little softer winter though.

Post Number: 6047
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 07:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Your horses may survive, but this is certainly not ideal". Seriously mares. What's ideal? You've seen most of my horses, show me one thats not happy and healthy.
Your horses munch snow with their hay. My horses move to eat snow to get to the grass/hay, big difference.
.. My horses are doing more than surviving, you've seen most of my them. None of my horses have had the ailments that I read about on this board. I did have one colic 15 years ago, an old horse with a twisted gut. Had lyme a couple of times, a few abscesses but that's about it.
My almost 30 year old has never been sick or lame a day in her life. Yes she could be dead tomorrow but today she's alive and well. My horse Cody had a broken leg but that had northing to do with not being healthy.
I treat horses like horses, not humans. Yes they have shelter if they want and plenty to eat. Also no blankets, no grain, except for my oldie. They're all happy horses.

Post Number: 5553
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 07:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All my horses should be dead. The water hole is surrounded by ice in the winter.

Not ideal meaning they can't get to the brook due to ice and rely mainly on snow. Getting water should not be a stressful experience that they have to risk walking on ice or falling in to get water and if not only have snow. I was thinking they had constant access to running water. Hopefully they do.

Yes, your horses look good and are very healthy. Willy looked really nice this summer, hope he keeps that weight, looks awesome!! Him and Freddie, my favorites.
tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3157
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 07:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For people, one weight loss tip is to drink icy cold water as it burns more calories to digest. Since horses drink so much more than people it makes sense that having to eat snow would make it hard for them to thrive and maintain weight in winter. Plus when it's freezing cold out drinking icy water and eating snow would be a lot less appealing. Not drinkimg enough leads to greater risk of impaction colics, that's well known. Common sense.

Post Number: 6048
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They always have access to water. What I'm saying is, as they are grazing 24/7, if they want, they are taking in more water than you may think. Never had an impaction. They are all in good weigh, summer and winter.
Did you ever see horses eat ice? They do this because they want to not because they have to. Of course I have videos showing this.

Post Number: 6049
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My horses have access to water in winter, whether they choose to drink it is their choice. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2202781/

Post Number: 6050
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfuswXwfvcA

Post Number: 6051
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZUQVX4AG24. I'm with my horses every day. I even measured how many gulps it takes to drink a full bucket of water, about 50-60, look at their throat. Pinch their skin for a rebound effect, check their gums for pinkness, look at their poop. I just don't throw them out in a field and forget them.
The halter is on Ruby because we were about to go for a ride. One horse drank the other didn't.
tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3158
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 02:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Every dog I've ever had loved to eat snow and ice lol. Sometimes over regular water. But I always have lots of fresh bowls out all the time. Current dog ignores fresh tap water, fresh spring water, both with and without ice cubes. But drinks disgusting puddles everywhere in public. Go figure.
Sorry back to horses. I don't remember ever seeing my horses eat snow or ice. Not saying they haven't just don't remember noticing it at the moment.

Post Number: 6052
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 06:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is from a couple of weeks ago, it's not snow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUVzoyfKFLI

Maybe horses would prefer natural water holes and snow over treated town water, don't know, we have well water without chemicals.

Post Number: 6053
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 06:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This video shows them eating ice, yes there was water 50' away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjmW_k_NNww. I was joking about sharpening their teeth, I think.
Abby Peterson (abbyp)
Username: abbyp

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 08:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, I think the big difference is that they have a source of liquid water - that they don't have to melt all the snow for their water, which is a LOT of snow every day. An icy water hole in a stream or pond is doubtless perfectly fine; if horses required a heated trough to survive they would have died out long ago! But to be in a dry paddock eating dry hay with NO water at all except whatever snow is on the ground - not OK (this was not a giant pasture where they were digging their forage out of a foot of snow, but a half acre paddock with 2-3" on the ground and little grass). Our horses would certainly eat snow and ice for entertainment purposes but they couldn't possibly get enough water that way in that situation.

Post Number: 6054
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 09:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I totally agree. I would never rely on snow/ice alone. My conscious wouldn't allow it.
festive (festiveone)
Username: festiveone

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 03:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was lugging buckets of hot water from the barn to the pasture last winter, to make sure my boy had water out there. The pond was frozen solid of what little water it had left. Every night he had SOAKED cubes, and two buckets of clean water in his stall. Same as he gets year round. He also gets electrolytes year round. The one time I didnt do all these things, he colicked. So now I make sure there is water for all of them available. Even if/when the pond is full. And the firs thing all 7 of them do is stick their heads in their water buckets when I bring them in at night. Water is essential, the horses tell me so.
masthill (masthill)
Username: masthill

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 06:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solar water tanks. Expensive but worth every penny.

Post Number: 5579
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

masthill, That sounds awesome. Is there a particular brand you would recommend?
masthill (masthill)
Username: masthill

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 06:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The water tanks are BT Suntanks manufactured by Pine Ranch Products. They are out west. I have had mine over ten years and they work great. I have the 25 gallon size in each paddock. VERY pricy. I accumulated mine over the course of a couple of years taking advantage of free shipping offers. They last forever.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration