Nervous rider looking for trainer rec... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » New Hampshire Discussion » Nervous rider looking for trainer recommendations « Previous Next »

backtobasics (backtobasics)
Username: backtobasics

Post Number: 230
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 02:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I am admittedly a nervous rider. I have a 13 year old Arabian. Shes a very sweet girl but needs a experienced rider rider. She had been a lesson horse but was too nervous and difficult with the younger riders so her trainer/owner gave her too me shortly after my horse died. I have been working with her on the ground and was doing some riding last fall. My experienced rider friend had also been riding her. She may always be too much horse for me on trails & Im fine with that. But Id love to work with a trainer who could work with me on my riding skills both with her and other quieter horses. Any suggestions on some good trainers would be appreciated. Also, Im a senior rider.......so I wonder if any of this is realistic at this age. Any suggestions are most welcome. My location is southwestern NH. On MA border.
Telca (telca)
Username: telca

Post Number: 324
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 08:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check out Penley Horsemanship in Temple, NH. Jared and Cara are excellent, and patient, and have helped me with my confidence.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13125
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 09:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes..it's realistic. Ultimately it does all depend on having the right horse...she may or may not be the right one for you.
2 places come to mind...Susan at Dreamspirit Farm and Sam Stanley at Barefoot Farm. They are both in Amesbury Mass and right next to each other.
Everything is a choice.
Sharon (sharona)
Username: sharona

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once my Arab mare and I learned to trust each other to know our roles and rules without getting upset about it, she was magic. It did take alittle work with a good trainer, but, it only took one session to get to the first "aha" moment, and it was mostly amazing from there. And when it wasn't amazing, I knew what to do, and she knew how to respond. Took all the tension out of riding, trailering, etc. Made my horsie dreams come true, and I was in my late 40s at the time, and this was my first horse. :-)

Trainer Cathie Hatrick Anderson did it for us.

You've checked that mare's back doesn't hurt, she doesn't have ulcers, etc.?

Enjoy her, and see if a good trainer can make you feel comfortable on her. An Arab mare can be worth her weight in stardust and diamonds, IF it is the right fit.
justthemom (justthemom)
Username: justthemom

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 07:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heidi Potter in Southern Vt is great. Does clinics all over the states and abroad. Down to earth, holistic type training, certified in many different areas.
S (bluesurfdog)
Username: bluesurfdog

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 08:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Patty Maguire at Ledgebrook Farm in Gilsum, NH. She turned my ottb into a wonderful trail horse she also worked with me on my fears with handling and riding her.
backtobasics (backtobasics)
Username: backtobasics

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 09:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback! Ill let you know how I do!

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration