Separating 2 mares & feeling overwhel... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » New Hampshire Discussion » Separating 2 mares & feeling overwhelmed « Previous Next »

backtobasics (backtobasics)
Username: backtobasics

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 02:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm feeling overwhelmed & inadequate as a horse owner. Been working on separating my 2 horses so I can ride & work my Arab separate from her buddy. It's going ok and if her stable mate leaves property , with her owner for a trail ride, she's pretty good. A ton of calling for her but no crazy antics. However, if I round pen her, and the other horse leaves the area, she becomes impossible. No way to ride her so agitated. I usually work her 2-3 times a week. The recent heat has made the work time with her impossible. Work is some round penning and walk. Pretty slow, easy & relaxing. Any suggestions? I question if I should sell my place & board her at a larger facility? Get a 3rd pet, although I can't afford 2 horses. A goat, sheep? Any suggestions? Thanks all
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 12686
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 07:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A goat, donk or mini might solve the problem.
Everything is a choice.
Carrots (carrots)
Username: carrots

Post Number: 597
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 01:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, you could try a calming supplement. My go to is horse tech MX 5. it has magnesium in it but also tryptophan...the stuff that makes you sleepy. It does not make them sleepy but really knocks the edge off. Its a daily supplement. I used it on my mare rosie because she was afraid of everyone from being abused. She was noticeably a different horse, much calmer after being on it.
backtobasics (backtobasics)
Username: backtobasics

Post Number: 228
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 04:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice! I'll check out the MX 5
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 12689
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 06:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's great info. Carrots. I always wondered if those supplements worked.
Everything is a choice.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration