Is a dog considered aggressive legall... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Dog Chat » Is a dog considered aggressive legally if « Previous Next »

tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3567
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 04:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It bites someone who steps on its paw or tail? The state law I found said not if the person is teasing or torturing or provoking it, but that would seem to leave a lot of grey areas.
No injuries or marks to any people and adult person not a child so definitely more of a warning/surprise reaction than an actual intentional dog attack since obviously a dog that wants to hurt someone or something can easily bite hard enough to draw blood.

If there's no injuries/damages there'd be nothing to sue for but what would/could the police do if the person was angry and called them?

The dog in question is normally calm and friendly with no bite/aggression history so it was an unusual reaction.

Which then leads to how do you train a dog not to bite if it gets stepped on? Seems kind of cruel to expose it to having paws/tail being stepped on til it doesn't react, plus I'd think that could backfire. But in busy households and busy places, it's hard to avoid accidents sometimes.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13362
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 04:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds to me like a normal reaction to the pain it was feeling. Snapping in defense is far different from aggression.
Everything is a choice.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3568
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 05:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's kind of my thinking but the "victim" flipped out and got very angry and threatening with lots of yelling and rude name calling. Threatened to call police, turned into quite a scene. The yelling and gesturing set the dog barking to protect owner. Which I also think is reasonable, many dogs would bark at a very large angry man who just hurt them that started screaming and waving their arms at their owner.
Honestly my last dog would probably have attacked and hurt him. But who knows what the police would have done if called. I don't know if stepping on a paw is enough to be considered provocation or how to train to prevent that in the future.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13363
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think they are over reacting. The dog obviously didnít bite them and while some dogs may have just yelped and moved away itís not unreasonable for a dog to react by snapping or biting. And what the hell do they think the police were going to do anyway?
Everything is a choice.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3569
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the furious man was hoping the police would impound or kill the dog or arrest the owner or both, who knows. He wasn't very logical or pleasant. Probably because he felt like he was the victim for getting bitten and couldn't understand that a human his size with shoes stepping on a paw would cause enough surprise and pain to a dog to provoke a bite/snap/whatever. He kept calling the dog an attack dog.
The yelling and gesturing triggered protective barking, which set off more yelling and threats, a crowd gathered, it took five or six other men to surround the guy and steer him away from dog and owner who were cornered at that point, it got a bit dramatic.
Apparently the dog happened to nip a vulnerable area of the guy which led the guy to conclude that it was a trained attack dog.
Jackie Silverman (morskip)
Username: morskip

Post Number: 1907
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like someone setting up the dog owner for a lawsuit. May have stepped on dog on purpose.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3571
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 01:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's interesting, never thought of that but I should have.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration