Saddle fitter suggestions Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Massachusetts Discussion » Saddle fitter suggestions « Previous Next »

Emily (emmym)
Username: emmym

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 08:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am in need of a saddle fitter, not a saddle rep. I am located on the South Shore. Any suggestions would be helpful
Jeff Livingstone (hippotekhni)
Username: hippotekhni

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Colin Kimball-Davis
The English Saddler
508-397-3800
ckimballdavis@earthlink.net

Others at this site:

www.saddlemattress.com/pages/find-a-saddle-fitter
Home of "Enlightened Horsemanship"
www.hippotekhni.com
phfeventer (phfeventer)
Username: phfeventer

Post Number: 638
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 08:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I 2nd Colin Kimball-Davis :-)
Emily (emmym)

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 09:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had a very bad experience with Colin Kimball-Davis. I would never use him again
Jen S (jen)
Username: jen

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 06:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've used Steve Katz in the past but when I was sold a saddle that was too wide and too long for my horse's back, Steve told me to call Colin. Colin does a great job.
memom (memom)
Username: memom

Post Number: 5195
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 08:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dr Katz is my go to fitter.
"Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."(author?)MA
delilah (delilah)
Username: delilah

Post Number: 3981
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2018 - 08:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Dr Katz as well,.
Sam Taylor (fuzzy1)
Username: fuzzy1

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 04:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve Katz is not a saddle fitter, he is an equine chiropractor. I had him out to help me with saddle fit and was HIGHLY disappointed. At the time I didn't know any better; lesson learned. He did not have me get on the horse to check the fit, told me the saddle was fine and it was not. I then had an actual professional saddle fitter come out and do the job that was intended. I used The Refined Equine and could not be happier.
aramisamiss (aramisamiss)
Username: aramisamiss

Post Number: 367
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 02:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really like Karen Withstandley at the Refined Equine as well. I've used Dr. Katz and Colin Kimball-Davis and she was by far the most thorough with the saddle fitting process.
zygsnow (zygsnow)
Username: zygsnow

Post Number: 336
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 09:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Third recommendation for Karen at The Refined Equine. Not a brand dealer, so she'll work with you to find whatever saddle works for you both (Western and English!).
delilah (delilah)

Post Number: 3983
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 04:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where is Karen out of?
yankeeclipper (yankeeclipper)
Username: yankeeclipper

Post Number: 590
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 08:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CT per her website
Emily (emmym)

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 09:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, I'll look into Karen but worried she may not come out since shes in CT
Jeff Livingstone (hippotekhni)
Username: hippotekhni

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used Karen once before, years ago. I found her to be quite excellent. However last year when I contacted her, she relayed she had had some sort of injury and could not work, so was relaying requests to another person in the Hartford area. I did contact and use this person but was unhappy with the outcome, so I later called Colin and he did a great job. As a side note, Colin is now carrying this British brand largely unknown in the USA - "Wow" saddles. Instead of a wooden or fiberglass tree, the saddles use airbags as panels. The theory is that by using air, the underside of the saddle will conform better to any horses back - bumps and all ... sort of like a flipped over water bed (remember those, kids?) but using air. I took one of these on trial. My trainer and myself both found that the Wow pushed the bottom leg out too much, leading to a "chair" seat, which was impossible to ride to. Colin was very decent about taking the saddle back without charge. I would happily use either Karen or Colin again. To complete the story: I eventually went with Devoucoux and the local Boston-based Devoucoux rep, who was very knowledgeable and helpful. I heard from several people that in past Devoucoux had a somewhat dubious customer reputation (unresponsive, mainly), but it seems this was due to a previous rep, who had been replaced. I would also happily buy from Devoucoux and the Boston Devoucoux rep again.
Home of "Enlightened Horsemanship"
www.hippotekhni.com
ruth0552 (ruth0552)
Username: ruth0552

Post Number: 295
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 01:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm... I've heard of both positive and not so great experiences with both Karen and Colin.

I've been using Steve Katz and have been very pleased. Frankly the idea that he is also an equine chiropractor is a plus since he actually knows what is going on in the horse's back. I also like that he does not rep a particular brand. Colin used to rep Duett saddles.
memom (memom)

Post Number: 5198
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 02:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Dr Katz and his wife bought into Steuben but he does not push or even mention it. I bought a gently used Specialized Saddle from someone and he came to adjust the panels for my new trail mount. My only issue was that he no longer does human chiropractic, he was the best!
Jen S (jen)

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 08:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve Katz bought Duette Saddles.

Audra McGough (570) 709-1212, I don't know who/where I heard it from but she is Gary Severson's pick for saddle fitter. I don't know how good/bad she is as I've never used her.
delilah (delilah)

Post Number: 3984
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2018 - 06:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Colin fitted my Duett, I was specifically looking for a Duett so it worked out great.
one1horse (one1horse)
Username: one1horse

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2018 - 03:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wanted to chime in that Stubben is not a public company and one cannot "buy" into it. They have sales reps and custom saddle fitters that rep and sell the brand, and Dr. Katz is not one of them. He may sell retail (much like Dover sells Stubben), but he does not sell or fit custom for Stubben directly.
memom (memom)

Post Number: 5199
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2018 - 07:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My error
beach_rider (beach_rider)
Username: beach_rider

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2018 - 08:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris Crowley. He's also a massage therapist (for people and horses). He's super thorough- watches you ride, adjusts your saddle, watches you ride again, makes more adjustments as necessary. Terrific to work with. My trainer recommended him to me with a glowing review and I've since recommended him to a friend and she also had a terrific experience with him.
Jen S (jen)

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 09:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used Chris when I was boarding in Concord, MA. When I moved Rustle to Westborough, I had to switch back to Steve Katz. Loved Chris. He was the only one that watched me ride in the saddle he was evaluating.
pezk (pezk)
Username: pezk

Post Number: 733
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 06:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I bought my mare ten yrs ago I had 2 different saddle fitters who came highly recommended to look at the saddle fit. The horse was not a happy camper. Both fitters told me there was nothing wrong with the saddle and it was the horse behaving badly. Friend recommended Dr. Katz who came out, examined the horse and the saddle and said the horses back hurts! He recommended a duette. And it was like night and day. He is the only one that I allow to touch my horse. I have a very bad opinion toward saddle fitters.
ls27 (ls27)
Username: ls27

Post Number: 748
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 06:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Patti merle- yes she sells black country but I think she will fit anything. she is awesome.
ls27 (ls27)
Username: ls27

Post Number: 749
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 06:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

pattymerlisaddlefitting.com just looked it up - she makes trips up east coast every 8 weeks or so I think. email her.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration