Pony pooping problem Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Massachusetts Discussion » Pony pooping problem « Previous Next »

Emerald Equine (ponycollector)
Username: ponycollector

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 05:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a pony who has been struggling with diarrhea for months! I have tried using probiotics with zero result. I have spoken to my vet on several occations who had suggested it's likely an allergy to something he is eating. Low and behold, I followed the vet's suggestion and removed hay from his diet (he is on alfalfa cubes) and the loose stools completely stopped within one day. Even a handful of hay will cause him to have the runs again. Has anyone dealt with this issue? I have increased his alfalfa cubes, but is it healthy for him to only be on cubed forage? (He gets a 1/4 cup of Poulin carb safe 2x a day as well.) My hay is consistent and good quality first cut. I have tried 3 other hay places with the same result. Doesn't seem to matter where the hay comes from, it all makes him poop! I appreciate any feedback or advice, thanks!
Melissa winsor (doggroomer)
Username: doggroomer

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a mare on cubed forage for many years due to breathing problems. She did great on them. I did put her on timothy or timothy/ alfalfa cubes and not straight alfalfa. She was on them for 6 years with no ill effects.
delilah (delilah)
Username: delilah

Post Number: 3973
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 08:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try Platinum Bio Sponge, it works very well.
flyhawk (flyhawk)
Username: flyhawk

Post Number: 2532
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 09:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I second the Bio Sponge. That being said, I had a Morgan pony with the same issue - only more seasonal. Winter was awful!!! He moved to Michigan and no more problems. We must have something in our hay. His allergies cleared up a great deal, also.
cashela (cashela)
Username: cashela

Post Number: 2428
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know a pony that lives on only soaked hay stretcher so I'm sure cubed forage won't hurt your pony.
Missouri Fox Trotters and Standardbreds...they do it all!!

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 09:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all. He seems to be doing fine on cubed hay. Maybe Ill add some timothy pellets as well and see how he does.
I have heard great things about biosponge. Are there other places that sell it other than the manufacturers website? I feel like when I looked it was a little pricey.
delilah (delilah)

Post Number: 3974
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 03:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought it at Allivet and it was the around. I only needed 2 tubes and she was fine the rest of the winter. Late summer I used 1 tube and then fine. She is 21.
cmorgan (cmorgan)
Username: cmorgan

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 03:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might want to try Ration plus (it's a PRE-biotic). The trouble with feeding all alfalfa is that it's high in calcium and will throw your major mineral ratios off. Ontario Dehy Timothy Balance cubes (also sold as TC Naturals, I believe) are a great option as they're guaranteed low sugar/starch and both major and trace minerals are balanced. Have you actually tested any of your hay? ADF (acid detergent fiber) that's too high is tough to digest and can cause the runs. You generally want ADF below 45 but if your guy is very sensitive, you may need it to be lower (alfalfa averages ~ 35 and last time I checked the Timothy Balance cubes, ADF was in the mid-30s as well). Best of luck!
Sue (mammie01524)
Username: mammie01524

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2018 - 04:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a mini that had this for a long time.. Nothing seemed to work until the vet suggested an old time antibiotic.. The name of it is Iodochlorhydroxyquin.
We started him and within 3 days it was gone and it never returned. I used this for the first time in 2015.. He just passed a month ago and the diarrhea never returned. My arab started with the same situation last year and we put him on it.. 3 days and it was gone also. Has not a problem again. I have also been told that soy can do this to horses. Remove the grains with soy and this may also help. Good luck.. I had many winters that I was overwhelmed because of the weather being too cold to clean him up...

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2018 - 05:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and for the suggestions! Started him on alfalfa Timothy today. Looking into biosponge and the other suggested long name one. (Hahahaha)
Happy Thanksgiving!
darkstarpony (darkstarpony)
Username: darkstarpony

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those recommending BioSponge, how on earth do you get your horse to eat it?! I have tried so many different things and she just knows it is there. She won't go near it. It is so much powder to feed each day.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13449
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2018 - 01:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try mixing in with some canned pumpkin and cinnamon. I use that for my mini's thyroid med's and he gobbles it right up.
Everything is a choice.
delilah (delilah)

Post Number: 3975
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2018 - 08:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine was in a syringe and I just did same as a wormer.

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2018 - 09:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update- Pony has been switched to a timothy alfalfa hay cube. (Thank you Cmorgan for the alfalfa education!) I have also added chopped forage at lunch and late night. He seems to be doing well and is keeping his weight. I haven't seen any loose stools, but he is still super gassy. I think a digestive supplement is next. I appreciate all the feedback, shared experiences, and suggestions!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration