Trailer /Termites Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Massachusetts Discussion » Trailer /Termites « Previous Next »

maura gaffey (mgaffey)
Username: mgaffey

Post Number: 287
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 08:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I let a trailer sit for a few years and I'm planning on taking it in for service and replacing the tires. Before, I can drive it to the service shop, I need to bring it home to clean,replace tires and break lights. Termites have infested the particle board in the escape door. Does anyone know if it is ok to bring home after and park near my house after using a termite spray purchased at a hardware store? Or calling my exterminator and asking him to handle. (trailer will be fully serviced by trailer repair shop/floor boards check ... before use)
andy (shawnee)
Username: shawnee

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 09:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you can pry enough of the board loose to spray
inside again you should be OK. Particle Board rots if wet and who ever took the cheap way out left you to fix it right with pressure treated.
maura gaffey (mgaffey)

Post Number: 288
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 05:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Andy
Its actually the original door and I assumed it was particle board inside. The dealer is a good distance from my house. I was going to take it to a closer trailer service shop.
Hey, I think you gave me advice on my older guys thrush. Your suggestions worked great and he was sound for a few months.. Unfortunately, he started to calic a couple of weeks back and I decided to put him down. But your advice made him comfy for the rest of the summer.
andy (shawnee)
Username: shawnee

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 07:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad it helped and I'm sorry for your loss.
I had to do the same with my guy last year at age 34.
crazyhorse (crazyhorse)
Username: crazyhorse

Post Number: 233
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

be careful that they did not eat your floor boards as well. I had this happen to mine.
memom (memom)
Username: memom

Post Number: 5148
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So sorry, Maura. What did you use for thrush?
"Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."(author?)MA
maura gaffey (mgaffey)

Post Number: 289
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, the floor board are pressure treated and to my eye look good, but I will have them checked - replaced if needed when I bring in for service.

My guy developed a very bad infection and his frog actually came off (no bashing please, I had major surgery and was away from barn for 3 mo)
Andy suggested sugardine/mixture and my vet confirmed this was best as it wouldn't sting like the commerical products. Suger is antibacterial and combined with iodine - draws out infection. It's half - bentadine/generic works too (not the scrub) and sugar. Mix in to the consistancy of honey. Clean hoof, I used surgical scrub, dry, pack into hoof, wrap with diaper or rolled cotton, vet wrap and duck tap.
I did this daily until laseration closed and frog renewed. Once he was less ouchie, I had the farrier out to clean up the frog. I preferred, rolled cotton to diapers as the dypers were absorbing moister and his foot would stay damp. He was turned out 24/7 so I made a very thick basket weave pad w/the ducktape (bottom of hoof ony) and it lasted 24 hours and he was a big boy that dragged his feet. I brought him in and stalled him in deep bedding when it rained. The cleff of his frog was last to heal, so vet did give me a topical anitbiotic.
Sugardine can also be used to draw out infections in wounds too. Works great.

In the past, I've used athletetes foot cream (clotrimozole) and triple antibiotic on trush and it worked great too. But this was very severe case. Dollar Tree has generic Clotrimazole and it was just as effective vs 10 a tube.
memom (memom)
Username: memom

Post Number: 5149
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 08:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, hes a lucky guy to have you.
"Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."(author?)MA

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration