Ideas to warm up a shedrow barn for w... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Massachusetts Discussion » Ideas to warm up a shedrow barn for winter? « Previous Next »

flyhawk (flyhawk)
Username: flyhawk

Post Number: 2516
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 01:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since my winter boarding situation fell through, I need to find a warmer solution for my at home barn. Any ideas how to warm up a shed row barn? Especially at night?
sea of horsies (sea_of_horsies)
Username: sea_of_horsies

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 09:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What are they like now? Do you have doors? Windows? Etc? If you have just a free flowing open door plastic strips on the doors can help when itís not windy
flyhawk (flyhawk)

Post Number: 2517
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are doors and windows like a regular barn. It just gets really cold in the winter.
sabrina (sabrinatmc)
Username: sabrinatmc

Post Number: 3722
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 08:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a thick plastic cover that I put over any vents and windows. works great when you put cardboard over the plastic. and then screw it in. I have pictures I should find them and e-mail them to show you. I pick up the plastic at home depots.
flyhawk (flyhawk)

Post Number: 2519
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2018 - 08:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hadn't thought of that. I just need to warm it up 10-20 degrees I think...
sabrina (sabrinatmc)
Username: sabrinatmc

Post Number: 3723
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2018 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

let me get the pictures and I'll send you what I did.I'll admit putting the plastic up has help cut back on the amount of wind and cold.I'll be using that plastic on my sliding glass door this winter.
sunnypony15 (sunnypony15)
Username: sunnypony15

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2018 - 05:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look in to bedding with some straw. It helps insulate a bit even if you still use some shavings. Look in to blanketing for the temperature and constant haying to keep the horses core temps up which will help warm up the shed. The only other thing I have done for our shed boys was we used corragated plastic roof panels to create window covers since the one pony we have is a plastic shredder. Other then that we used a tank heater to keep their 50 gallon tub thawed and they have wintered fat and happy. To give you a bit of perspective the shed is completely open on the front side and it was originally just a in and out. The pony is 11.2 and the other horse is a fairly refined Arab who is about 15.2 and after the changes I was comfortable with them staying the winter. I hope that helps! I completely understand where your coming from worrying. I was so paranoid and my husband just kept reminding me to feel under their blankets and see that they were in fact plenty warm enough lol.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration