Advice on what to do when in bad fina... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Massachusetts Discussion » Advice on what to do when in bad financial position « Previous Next »

jezabel65 (jezabel65)
Username: jezabel65

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 07:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for advice on what to do when you find yourself barely hanging on by a thread financially and you have come to the conclusion that the most realistic decision is to let your horse go? The past year has been draining emotionally and financially. My mother became terminally ill and required around-the-clock care which I required alot of time off work and I eventually ended up having to take it unpaid. And then there were the funeral expenses. Additionally my husband had an extended period of uncontrolled diabetes which required several hospitalizations. He was laid off from his job and is having a very difficult time finding a new one. It seems to be that people are reluctant to hire someone who had their own business before. I am struggling to pay all my bills including my board. My barnowner has been very reasonable, it has been paid every month but not on time every month. However, it is extremely embarrassing and makes me very uncomfortable to go there. It is tough as I had always rough boarded before but had to go full board when my mother became sick. At least with rough board you could spread the expenses out. I have agreed to move my horse as she wants the full board on the first (as she should). I am facing the reality that I am best off trying to free lease or possibly sell her. Where is the safest place to advertise a free lease or a sale and get some viable responses. If anyone knows someone looking for a horse, please message me and I can tell you about her. Any advice would be appreciated.
tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3565
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 09:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother and your situation. I've definitely been there and still am not super comfortable financially. Just when I start to be everything gets more expensive.

There's an ad section on this site and some ad sections and horse groups on Facebook where you can advertise free leases or sales.
You can also look for rough board and/or cheap/retirement board where you might not have to pay very much and won't have many amenities. Either could be a way to keep her and hopefully get back to a better situation.
In different situations and times and being willing to travel further and see them less I was in the past able to cut my horses' board fees in over half. By some places having coop or working off board or rough board options it was far cheaper than I thought it could be.
It could be worth searching ads already posted for stalls or posting an ad for rough/co-op board, or retirement board, even if she's not retired.
Just some thoughts based on my experiences. When my mom had terminal cancer but lived for three years, my job at the time would only give me nonbenefitted hours so I never knew if I'd work eight hours one week or forty hours another week. Any time I took off was unpaid and they got very mad when I had a second job and was less available for last minute shifts. The widely varying income week to week and stress of a literally sociopathic boss plus caring for my mom and dealing with not knowing how much time she had negatively impacted my own health for years afterwards.
I hope your husband finds a good job and things improve quickly for you
missmagetta (missmagetta)
Username: missmagetta

Post Number: 3634
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 08:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey there. Iím so sorry for all you are going through. I have been searching for a new horse as my love passed away on November after 25 years together. I thought I found the perfect horse but his owner now has cold feet. Iím really sad all over again and at a loss. He was really awesome, my kids havenít stopped talking about him. Anyway, Iíd be interested in chatting about what you have and to see if my next forever horse is there. I have a post on the NH board where I more or less have my wish list. I offer a forever home. First right of refusal is no problem because I never intend to need it!
"I Don't Whisper, I Translate!"
Happy in NH
Abby Peterson (abbyp)
Username: abbyp

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 08:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In your position I would not hesitate to sell. It will take a huge load off you, you probably don't know how huge a load until it's gone. I sold my guy, reluctantly, 2 years after I had my daughter. I just didn't have time or money for a horse and it wasn't fair to him. For a long time I listed him as a free lease or giveaway and got a lot of lesson programs that he wasn't suitable for (not a beginner horse) and some people who wanted him for tiny children, or horse flippers. Finally I listed him on Dreamhorse for $1200 and a teenage girl who wanted a companion for her show horse and an easy project for her to work on fell in love with his photos and that was that. I disclosed all of his issues and quirks when they visited and he actually behaved like a total punk while they were there so they saw the worst and still loved him. I still hear from them a couple of times a year with photos and updates and I know he's being well cared for. So don't be afraid to ask some money even if your horse has some issues. At least from my experience, if you list a horse for free people will think they are worth nothing. Be honest about her pros and cons and you'll find someone to fit her. It is scary, and frustrating, having unsuitable people come and look but the right person is out there. This board is a good resource just to pass the word around, and of course tell everyone you know, if they know the horse, even better.

Google people - if they are real bad actors there will probably be something there about it. Ask around, ask for vet and farrier references, etc.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration