Boarders! Let's talk holidays.. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Massachusetts Discussion » Archive through February 07, 2018 » Boarders! Let's talk holidays.. « Previous Next »

darkstarpony (darkstarpony)
Username: darkstarpony

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 06:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What do you do for the owner of the barn you board at and the staff that take care of your horse around the holidays?
I am always looking for fun ways to say thank you. I don't have a ton of extra money at the holidays but I'd like to do something for the people who take care of my horse like their own.
yankeeclipper (yankeeclipper)
Username: yankeeclipper

Post Number: 579
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 09:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made a horse head wreath one year. Another year did a monogrammed saddle pad with a funny logo and nick name for her horse that eats a lot of hay. Restaurant gift certificate.
flyhawk (flyhawk)
Username: flyhawk

Post Number: 2406
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 01:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those bracelets with the horse heads on them.
BonBon (bonbon)
Username: bonbon

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 02:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cash. Gift cards. Movie or concert tickets, if they're into that sort of thing. Pre-pay your vet for their personal horse's spring shots , or the farrier for a trim. Pitch in with other boarders to have their car or truck professionally detailed. Warm socks and gloves. ( that's pretty much my personal wish list- we barn managers tend be very practical)

Homemade yummy things are always nice, and we do appreciate the time and effort people put into them, but we do get a bit overwhelmed with treats, sometimes.
festive (festiveone)
Username: festiveone

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 03:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got the other trainer/boarder, that feeds the horses every morning, a bottle of the liniment he uses regularly. And he'll also get the annual fudge/cookie assortment. BO and other boarders will get fudge and cookies.
I don't expect anything. But usually get a DD gift card from the BO. When his wife was alive they used to have a pot luck Christmas party. But it's too much for him.
slammie (slammie)
Username: slammie

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 03:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have a barn party in Jan.
I give bo/trainer a gift card to take the staff out for a nice dinner.

Farrier is on staff but she gets a bit extra because she is so awesome on all levels.
Performance Standardbreds, what a ride. ****RI***
Jackie Silverman (morskip)
Username: morskip

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 04:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The boarders at my barn get me gift cards to restaurants. They know I love to eat. Lol
trevor'smom (trevorsmom)
Username: trevorsmom

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 05:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At one barn, I used to show up early on holidays and muck out all of the stalls that had no special instructions. Years later, when I ran into the owner, that is what she happily remembered about me.
kkwildhorse (kkwildhorse)
Username: kkwildhorse

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 07:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your barn owner/barn manager has a horse, you could by them a special browband for their bridle. Or, if you ARE the barn owner, you could buy browbands for your boarders. A local barn owner did just that -- for all 20 of her boarders!

Browbands With Style is offering individually designed, handsewn black and havanna brown browbands at 50% off until the end of December. So, they're $27.50 each. Same day shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/browbandswithstyle/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
delilah (delilah)
Username: delilah

Post Number: 3843
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 05:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

3 of mine are at home, but I have a young man who takes care of them if I go away, which is usually Thanksgiving and Christmas, I give him cash. My other horse is boarded at a small private facility, I have a gift in mind for him. In case he is on I'm not saying!!
one1horse (one1horse)
Username: one1horse

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it depends on the caretaker and what their interests are. In previous years all the boarders got together and did a big group gift for the manager. We got her different things over the years, not always to do with horses. Then I tried to do something small to recognize her on a personal level. One year I had an ornament made in her horse's likeness (https://www.etsy.com/listing/169277137/handmade-custom-horse-ornament?show_sold_out_detail=1). And then another year I had her new horse breed DNA tested since she didn't know his origins.

This year at a new barn the main employee is keeping Dunks in business, so I just got him a gift card and a nice travel mug. It's all about being thoughtful and remembering someone. It doesn't have to be a big gesture!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration