Looking to split load of hay Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Massachusetts Discussion » Looking to split load of hay « Previous Next »

QHMor64 (qhmor64)
Username: qhmor64

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 - 06:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello! I wanted to order a load of hay from Bliss Farm in VT but can't fit a full order in my loft. Any Newbury, MA people want to split?
nice (nice)
Username: nice

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many bales are in the order, first or second cut and how much $$?
QHMor64 (qhmor64)
Username: qhmor64

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello...I was told the order is a minimum of 100 but he prefers to deliver 300. I can fit about 60 bales, so the remainder would need to go to someone else. It is second cut hay at $7.25 per bale
Three Fold Farm (weewitch)
Username: weewitch

Post Number: 432
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 09:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a load coming from Canada to Hamilton on 11/4 and have 160 extra bales of first cut for $7.75, second cut $8.75. Anyone interested?
Breeders of Canadian Horses
farmin14 (farmin14)
Username: farmin14

Post Number: 279
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 01:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FYI we are much cheaper than those prices. Call text or email for details. 2074009674
tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3194
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 03:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stupid question, if second cut is less rich than first cut and not as delicious and like pasture why would it cost more?
Is it scarcer because of weather or some seasonal reason?
I'm trying to learn more, really not trying to be obnoxious here.
flyhawk (flyhawk)
Username: flyhawk

Post Number: 2385
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 04:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

2nd cut is richer than first.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3196
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 04:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Than why can my Cushing horse only have second cut since she can't have pasture or carrots or apples or sugar or starches anymore?
Doesn't richer mean more sugar and close to real grass? I'd naively think that would cost more.
maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 5606
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 05:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tb, that is a good question. Here is an example. I recently had my first and second cut tested. Here are sugar results and relative feed value resutls.

first cut. sugar 44.2 RFV 72
second cut sugar 47.2 RFV 89

So a little higher in sugar but the RFV is much more digestable and more nutrition in the second which for me is why I do a mix with all my horses. For the easy keepers the 2nd alone would be too rich but a mix seems to work out well. Your girl may need it because she was so underweight but I think if it is possible I'd still throw in a little bit of first just to munch on and make the mix a bit less rich.

Get your hay tested and then you'll know exactly what you have there.
flyhawk (flyhawk)
Username: flyhawk

Post Number: 2387
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 06:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Exactly what maresgreat said so eloquently!
farmin14 (farmin14)

Post Number: 280
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 08:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To help your cost discussion... Here's the general math from our farm perspective. On first cut we average 100-120 bales an acre. On 2nd and 3rd we should be around 70 bales an acre. (The last 2 years due to the drought and no water we were just over 30 bales an acre).

But back to the 1st vs 2nd cost question.

I've have the same fertilizer costs per acre, the same amount of diesel fuel per acre, same amount of time per acre. Yet 2nd and 3rd basically produce 50-75 percent of what 1st crop does. Therefore higher cost per bale to produce higher retail price to the customer.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3199
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 09:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the thorough explanations! It almost doesn't really matter what hay she gets she barely eats it, just throws it around her stall and uses it as bedding. Top quality Canadian hay that's expensive and the vet said was nice hay.
She eats a little and wastes most of it.
That's still good to know.
Three Fold Farm (weewitch)
Username: weewitch

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 07:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

farmin14 what are you charging? Does it include delivery and putting it up? What size are the bales and how many in a truck?
Breeders of Canadian Horses
farmin14 (farmin14)

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 08:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Price always includes delivery. We have 1st 2nd or 3rd. In small squares 720 per load, rounds 44 per load, or 3x3x8 big squares 57 per load. Exact price depends on your location due to trucking and type of hay. Please call text or email for more info.
Melissa Hawthorne (princetontree)
Username: princetontree

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi we have 2nd cut available two string bales 45 plus lbs delivered and stacked in central MA 8.00 a bale 978-870-7145

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration