How does one start barrel racing? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Massachusetts Discussion » Archive through September 19, 2017 » How does one start barrel racing? « Previous Next »

jezabel65 (jezabel65)
Username: jezabel65

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 01:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My 4.5 year old granddaughter has just started riding lessons. This summer we went to the rodeo at Marshfield fairgrounds and she absolutely loved the barrel racing and keeps asking when she can do that. Obviously she is not ready yet for barrel racing but when she is, where can one go for barrel racing lessons? We are on the South Shore? How do we know when she is ready for those lessons? And to really go out on a limb--she also loved the trick riders. Does anyone know where one day she could learn that if it is still of interest to her down the road?
blucollarguy (blucollarguy)
Username: blucollarguy

Post Number: 284
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 08:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Raynham Rough Riders have gymkana shows every few weeks that include barrel racing. They have lead line and youth classes as well as adult serious competition. You and your daughter should attend one of these shows and talk to John Ford (show manager and announcer) and he can help you get headed in the right direction.
Wish my life was as good as my horses.
blucollarguy (blucollarguy)
Username: blucollarguy

Post Number: 285
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 09:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Correction, the name is Mass Rough Riders. Their next show is tomorrow. You can find them on Facebook.
Wish my life was as good as my horses.
Athenafeather (athenafeather)
Username: athenafeather

Post Number: 293
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 09:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i don't know where you are located but I believe Lantern Lane Farm in Raynham has some kids taking barrel racing lessons and showing at Mass Rough Riders. They even have a leadline division. Lantern Lane Farm does have a Facebook page. I don't ride there but know the owner from years ago.
bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 5968
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Little1 on this board, Rope 'N Turn Farm, East. Free Town , Ma. could help you out.
littie1 (littie1)
Username: littie1

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We absolutely can help, if the child already has a basic understanding our Molly pony has safely started more barrel racers than I can count! look us up on FB at Rope 'N Turn Farm, or my personal page, Carolyn Sansoucy
littie1 (littie1)
Username: littie1

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Bill!
mustangmare (mustangmare)
Username: mustangmare

Post Number: 532
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are near Orange Mass, Crimson Acres has a fun gymkhana series during the summer one Friday night each month, they have WT and leadline divisions as well as super fast crazy people divisions... super fun to watch and the kids have a blast. Next game night is Sept 15th

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration