water hydrant repair Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Massachusetts Discussion » Archive through August 22, 2017 » water hydrant repair « Previous Next »

sabrina (sabrinatmc)
Username: sabrinatmc

Post Number: 3608
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does anyone know who can repair them. I've gotta this this fix before winter. if you push the handle fully down it leaks badly. by the next morning it looks like niagra falls. last winter the goat some how knocked over my wheel barrow and push the handle down making the isleway very icey. I have tried a few things but nothings working.
Reg B (regb)
Username: regb

Post Number: 6557
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 02:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I understand it the BIGGEST part is digging down to even start the repair.
Not just that it is over 4 ft down, but that whoever does the repair needs to get in the hole and have enough room to work while bent over.

That is a LOT of dirt to move out of the way, maybe a couple of tons.
0024 - Guess my license class.
Leo (grendelsmoder)
Username: grendelsmoder

Post Number: 243
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 06:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes but she wants to know who can repair it. I worry about the same thing although mine is still ok. How about people who put in wells?
Reg B (regb)
Username: regb

Post Number: 6558
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 06:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would be a local person, a local hardware store that sells same/similar hydrants would probably be a good place to start asking who (locally) installs and repairs them.
I think it is a bit outside the scope of most plumbers.

A family member worked for a well digger for a number of years.
Certainly THEY didn't repair hydrants, they just drilled and installed casing, pump, pipe, etc.

Yes, they call themselves well DIGGERS, but in fact they DRILL.
0024 - Guess my license class.
blucollarguy (blucollarguy)
Username: blucollarguy

Post Number: 280
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 06:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where are you located?
Wish my life was as good as my horses.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 12645
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 08:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you try adjusting the nut on the top that the rod goes down through? That sometimes does the trick.

We put in our own new hydrant 2 years ago. First shut off the water supply. My husband then dug down, about 3-4' until he got to the bottom where the water hose connects to the hydrant. Disconnected the hydrant, pulled it out, put the new one in, connected it to the feeder line and then filled in the hole with gravel around the connecting parts and then dirt over that. They sell them at local farm supply stores.
Everything is a choice.
bythebay (bythebay)
Username: bythebay

Post Number: 2289
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 09:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine were both installed by plumbers. They can replace the parts but yes, if it needs to be dug 3-4', you'd have to get someone else
sabrina (sabrinatmc)

Post Number: 3609
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blue I'm in Northboro.

JC I've tried tighting that and it does nothing. IMO I think that the gasket is gone on the handle. so no digging will be required. there is one more nut that i haven't tried to tighten but I still think that I may need a gasket. plus a new handle would be nice too.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 12648
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 08:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A handy plumber may be able to help you!
Everything is a choice.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 12649
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 08:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sabrina...I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR59ppnWJaM
Everything is a choice.
bythebay (bythebay)
Username: bythebay

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 09:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a company with all the parts
https://watersourceusa.com/product-category/frost-proof-yard-hydrants-and-accessories/red/
You will see O rings if that's what you meant by gaskets?
flyhawk (flyhawk)
Username: flyhawk

Post Number: 2347
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 09:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Call David Wright from Advance Pumps in Uxbridge MA. He did my install and repairs.
sabrina (sabrinatmc)

Post Number: 3610
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 09:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jc I saw that video too. that's a very old handle in that video. mines is the more newer handle. I'll have to go to tractor supply and see what they have for parts. and see if I can do it myself. or get someone stronger.
mustangmare (mustangmare)
Username: mustangmare

Post Number: 529
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should be able to find replacement parts for the guts and DIY... but a plumber would be able to do it for you if you aren't handy with that sort of thing.
bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 5900
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 01:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I replaced my hydrant last winter. The hydrant is in my barn about 10' from the sliding door into the isle. I unfolded my backhoe so it was as low to the ground as I could get it and then backed it in.
I dug it out and discovered the bottom part had rusted out after 30+ years. I replaced it with one from tractor supply, about 150.00.
If it's leaking, the adjustment where the handle attaches to the control rod may just need adjustment. it's pretty finicky to get the exact adjustment but that may be the problem.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 12652
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 02:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it might be more the style Sabrina. Ours that we recently replaced looked pretty much the same as his did.
Everything is a choice.

Post Number: 5901
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 02:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's how to adjust them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lejAsc9XRvg if it's a simple adjustment at the faucet. If not, it gets a little more complicated.
sabrina (sabrinatmc)

Post Number: 3611
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 03:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill I was wondering if that nut was the problem. I'll try that and keep my fingers cross that does the trick.

Post Number: 5902
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 04:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The bolt on the hydrant I got from TS likes to slip. When you finally get the adjustment right, tighten it down real tight. Hope that's the problem.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 12656
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 08:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good video Bill!!!
Everything is a choice.
NH_Dressage (nh_dressage)
Username: nh_dressage

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 01:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes the rubber plunger at the bottom needs replacing. That is also a non-dig fix. We have 10 hydrants and have only had to dig out 2 for full repairs in 12 years.

We do the work ourselves. Well, my husband does the work. I supervise. :-)
Natural Horsemanship & Dressage : It's all about Happy Horses

Post Number: 5903
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 05:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1343774465634059&set=a.401569443187904.101421.100000045553413&type=3&theater

it was in August and down 5' No problems for 30+ years. I got lucky and could use my backhoe.

Post Number: 5904
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 05:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you do have to replace it make sure the drain hole has a good porous place to drain to, otherwise the water will freeze in the pipe in real cold weather.
sabrina (sabrinatmc)

Post Number: 3612
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 09:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok guys I think I may have found the problem. the top of the hydrant has a nut and bolt to help control the water. I found out that the nut was missing. so I fix that. and so far no mo more leak. but I'll see if that was the big problem. if I find no water leaking then the problem been solved. and my landlords has left it like this for years?
sabrina (sabrinatmc)

Post Number: 3613
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 08:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok guys so far no leaks. and all it took was a nut to fix it.
Jackie Silverman (morskip)
Username: morskip

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Its funny we couldn't get one plumber to replace our frost free faucet at our barn. No one wanted to touch it. Guess who ended up replacing it. Our hay guy.

Post Number: 5906
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 06:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not surprising, it's quite a job. Mine was down 5' in gravel. Gravel is hard to dig in ,gravel likes to cave in. Even with my backhoe it was a pain, big hole. Hope it last another 30 years. Sabrina, was it the nut/boltt that holds the rod?
sabrina (sabrinatmc)

Post Number: 3614
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 07:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah of all place's.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 12664
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 08:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that's the one I was referring to when I asked if you had tried to tighten it???
Everything is a choice.
masthill (masthill)
Username: masthill

Post Number: 297
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 05:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a very easy thing to replace. Digging it out is brutal. We have another leaker here. Sure hope we can repair from top. Ace hardware has all parts.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration