My 25 year old gelding is getting ski... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Connecticut Discussion » My 25 year old gelding is getting skinny « Previous Next »

susieq8163 (susieq8163)
Username: susieq8163

Post Number: 706
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 05:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I feed Timothy hay and soaked Timothy pellets and I add triple crown natural and he has been losing weight I wormed him and he looks awful still . I was thinking of feeding him ahiflower itís in the spring time supplements it says itís superior to flaxseed oil
memom (memom)
Username: memom

Post Number: 5130
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 07:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ultimate Finish, itís a top dressing.
"Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."(author?)MA
rider (rider)
Username: rider

Post Number: 3618
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 08:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm feeding a 28 yr old: I swear by RATION PLUS, beet pulp, Triple Crown Senior, (hay - timothy/grass mix always available), 18 hr turn-out on grass and, in the winter, Dengie Alfalfa. Teeth checked twice a year.
CT <> <> <> <> CT <> <> <> <> CT <> <> <> <> CT
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13399
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 07:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You also might want to consider feeding a second cut hay that is softer? Also the extruded feeds made for Seniors can be helpful as well. You have to feed more of it because it's larger and lighter but they can absorb it more easily. The Dengie alfalfa as rider mentioned is also a good option. Good luck!!!
Everything is a choice.
maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 5982
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have your vet check his bloodwork for Vit E and Vit A. If those are low they won't gain weight until you add this to their diet and their levels come out normal. This and second cut mixed in with the first cut did it for my mare, when she had her skinny phase at 21. My mare now gets smartpak vit E and a multi that has vit A in it. I knew about the Vit E but my vet told me the importance of Vit A. It is an essential Vit and like E gets low if they are not on grass.
calysgal24 (calysgal24)
Username: calysgal24

Post Number: 5837
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 07:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And if you don't do it already, be sure to blanket him in cold weather so those calories are not burned up just staying warm. Try him on some Cool Calories and ditto on the Ration Plus.
Gone WILD....In Virginia....Join me!
susieq8163 (susieq8163)

Post Number: 707
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 01:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband lbought me compressed hay and I told him I would rather have soft hay and he think compressed hay is better and I think it not as good as soft clean hay
memom (memom)
Username: memom

Post Number: 5147
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool Calories worked for a few years for my mare then not so much. Thatís why I add Ultimate Finish. Our horses are so lucky!
"Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."(author?)MA
cob lady (cobs_and_corgies)
Username: cobs_and_corgies

Post Number: 758
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you tried any of the chopped up hay products out their?
One of the old horses here gets Chaffee hay and he loves it. Bad teeth so can't eat a lot of hay anymore. He is a FATTY PATTY now
sabrina (sabrinatmc)
Username: sabrinatmc

Post Number: 3731
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you may have to increase his feed and get a blood test for cushions. my 33 year old stallion is on 20 quarts a day of grain. equine senior and active senior feeds.he also takes u-gard and 2 quarts of alf/orchard hay cubes.
susieq8163 (susieq8163)

Post Number: 708
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since I feed him now triple crown senior now and flax seed and cool calorie and Timothy hay. I do have five dollars off coupon for triple crown natural if so want it I can send it come get the coupon . I live in Canterbury CT
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13415
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2018 - 06:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow Sabrina! That's a lot of grain, 33 is pretty amazing.
Everything is a choice.
Rudy (rudy12)
Username: rudy12

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2018 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 32 yr old mare with no back teeth. She canít eat hay and barely is able to eat grass. She is fed Nutrena Pro force Senior, Beet pulp shreds with ground flax three times a day and soaked Hay Stretcher pellets. She is also blanketed fall thru spring because she needs to be body clipped. I would first consult with your vet to rule out any health issues.
dehda01 (dehda01)
Username: dehda01

Post Number: 567
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2018 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For senior grain -which are a complete diet so no hay needing to be given when they canít eat it- you BEGIN at 12lbs a day (at least with TC senior- which is my preference) given in multiple small meals under 5lbs... and go UP as needed. My 15.1h Arab stallion was easily eating 20-22lbs a day to maintain his weight in his last few years.
Tammy Kahn (tammykahn)
Username: tammykahn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 04:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Losing weight is sometimes good for health but if someone loses weight rapidly then it means they are having protein or nutrition deficiency.

The best way is to consult the doctor and try out these best healthy food at discounted price

Post Number: 6016
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 08:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you had his teeth done recently? Critical especially with a senior.

Post Number: 6017
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 03:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you had his teeth done recently? Critical especially with a senior.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration