Horse rushing threw gate Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Connecticut Discussion » Horse rushing threw gate « Previous Next »

susieq8163 (susieq8163)
Username: susieq8163

Post Number: 643
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 08:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 3 aged horses and my youngest is 19 yrs old his problem is when I open the gate he wants to run through the gate and then turns around and face me. He just started this stuff in the winter and tonight he ran threw the doorway almost took my nose off. Any suggestions?
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 12415
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 07:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Control the feet. Make him back up, then one step forward at a time, he needs to stop at whoa. Giving a treat may help as well if he won't turn into a monster. Stop him half way and make him stand and give him a treat then proceed after he's standing quietly. Many, many repetitions!!!
I used to work for someone who had a horse who developed that issue. It took me about an hour to teach her not to do that.
Does anyone else handle him? Sometimes if they got wacked by the gate they will start to rush through it.
Everything is a choice.
bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 5778
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm curious if you give the horse treats after he goes through the gate?
dee (dee)
Username: dee

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 06:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good advice jcl...every spring my mare tries this and I do excatly what you suggested to susie...
maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 5299
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 07:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have an electric fence? I only put mine on once in a while and noticed if it was on my mare tends to rush the gate at night coming in. She also wears shoes and I keep wondering if that somehow makes her more nervous. I normally don't use the fence and she is fine.
Also, if you have grain waiting for them in their stall, that will make it worse. Always just have hay in the stall and give them grain after they're in. Which is much better for them anyway. But if they know there is grain up there, they will rush through.
susieq8163 (susieq8163)

Post Number: 650
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is no grain waiting for him inhis stall, but when he knows he is coming in he gets so excited. Not a mean horse he gets over excited .

Post Number: 5819
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You do feed him grain though in his stall. Maybe that's his comfort area and just wants to get there and you're the one that's going to lead him there? I've also seen horses rush through a gate after being shocked and it took awhile to get them over it.

Post Number: 5820
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 02:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, does he do it in both directions?
susieq8163 (susieq8163)

Post Number: 653
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 09:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I put them in there is only hay waiting for them. They don't get grain until after all are in their stalls

Post Number: 5852
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 06:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I guess why is a mystery. Does he do the same going back out? Are there other horses near the gate when you're bringing him through? A dominate horse may be intimidating him?
This is basically the same thing that JC said in her post. I would make sure no other horses and close to the gate. If you normally have control of him outside of the gate I would practice at the gate step by step and not allow him to barge through. This is also how I teach horses not to jump across water. Step by step into the water, jumping across a small stream can also be dangerous. Proceed with caution, you could get run over, water or gate.
susieq8163 (susieq8163)

Post Number: 654
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 02:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He is the dominant horse of the 3 horses, he is fine bringing out but a real pill bring him in
maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 5364
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 03:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you take him in and out and in and out until he's so sick of it he will behave? Sometimes stopping right in the middle, making him back etc.. Make it a schooling session. Or will he tromple you? Sounds like he needs a lot of gate work. Will take a lot of time and schooling.

Sometimes I think they just want to get into their stall out of the bugs and into their hay. When they're ready to come in they're ready. Also, sometimes helps to bring them in BEFORE the bugs get bad. My tb is so much better then. If she's out and it's buggy, she hates it and she makes me pay for it. Even though she's covered from head to toe in fly sheets. Funny the pony and morgan are find, my tb is ultra sensitive to midge flies though.

Post Number: 5854
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 05:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've noticed in the pasture, as soon as I put out a bale of hay, even though I just put out a similar bale a minute before, the top horses will kick the lower horses out, take a few sample bites and then more than likely end up at the first bale. Maybe your horse, being dominant is thinking the same thing. First in the barn or last, in his brain it wouldn't matter, kicking the others out even if he can't, if that makes any sense?
susieq8163 (susieq8163)

Post Number: 664
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He has approved A lot since my last post.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration