In Your Stall.... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Photo & Video Sharing » In Your Stall.... « Previous Next »

NH_Dressage (nh_dressage)
Username: nh_dressage

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 08:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After watching so many of Bill's videos, I finally got myself a GoPro. And what fun!

This video shows how we put our horses into their stalls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StzXdrSbdGg

It is quite unconventional, but we like to BACK our horses into their stalls. At first, we did this as an extension of "Trailer Loading" training for one of our horses. But then it became a fun thing to teach each horse.

Backing into the stalls takes time to teach. It begins with teaching them to stop, wait, and step back while leading them in the aisle.

Next, we teach them to pause while leading them OUT of their stall.

Then, we ask for only one step out of the stall and backing back in again. Then two steps out and back in. Then all four, out and back in.

With this method of entering their stalls, we have found the horses have to think more and be more patient about getting to their reward: Dinner! :-)

Each horse in this video is at a different level of training. The 5th horse, our newest pony, is just learning.

Enjoy!
Natural Horsemanship & Dressage : It's all about Happy Horses
maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 5948
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is fantastic. Makes so much sense to coordinate that with trailer training. Amazing how quickly they picked up on what to do. You have inspired me to hook up my trailer in this nice weather and revisit that with all 3 of mine. Boy, I would love to send my boy to you for training. You do an awesome job!! :-)
Susan G (old_newbie)
Username: old_newbie

Post Number: 438
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 05:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was lovely! I've had back problems that have prevented me from being around horses for awhile, so just hearing the clip-clop of their hooves brought tears to my eyes, so thank you!

Also, I remember watching other videos of yours, years ago with a large gelding (I believe) that you had raised from a foal. I can't remember his name, but that horse was huge, at least 16 hands, if not larger. He was so calm and beautiful, and you did an amazing job training him. I especially remember the one where you were training him to walk on ice. I was very impressed!
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13368
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 07:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is brilliant! No more issue of horses rushing into their stalls and handlers stay safe. Very nice! The horses are all so calm and respectful.
Everything is a choice.
zygsnow (zygsnow)
Username: zygsnow

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 09:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amazing! What a cool idea. What size are those stalls?! I'm envious!
memom (memom)
Username: memom

Post Number: 5104
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great idea, and you are so patient waiting each one out!
"Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."(author?)MA

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to give some credit to Phil Shipman, head trainer at Lockehaven Farm in Enfield NH where they use natural horsemanship concepts to start horses and retrain horses (and owners) who need help in their lives. While Phil was training a friend's horse, I observed him using the stall as a training area and the threshold of the stall as a training tool.

Susan, the 2nd horse in the video, is our Dutch Warmblood "Big Ben". He was 11 hands at birth! He is a gentle giant.

Yes, JC, the horses do seem mich calmer as they think their way through the process. The 4th horse in the video, a former reining horse, would sometimes rush into his stall going forward. Reversing in, he is so much calmer.

Zygsnow, the big stalls are just two stalls with the partition removed. :-)

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are wondering, the 2nd horse came to our farm and immediately started chewing the top of the wood partitions. After no success in trying to break his habit with soaps and sprays and hot pepper sauces, we simply replaced the top board of his partitions with PVC fencing.

He can still do mutual grooming and have chats with his two neighbors, but he can't chew the partition.

It was a good indoor solution for us!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration