Fun training during the winter doldrums. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Training Forum » Fun training during the winter doldrums. « Previous Next »

bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 6204
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 06:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFrQHL8L9GE&t=12s
memom (memom)
Username: memom

Post Number: 5044
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 01:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice tips. The horse I trail ride in FL Jan-March doesn’t get ridden the rest of the year so each time I ride 4-5X week I start in the ring with similar work then at liberty. Good energy focus work.
"Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."(author?)MA
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13103
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 02:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like!!!
Everything is a choice.
maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 5757
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 05:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That did help my winter doldrums. We live on top of the hill and right now a lot of the level areas going down the hill, like my ring, have ice. I was so impressed that you were out there no matter what and found a way to continue training despite the weather. As always, you are an inspiration!! Great job and fun to watch. That must be Ruby, wow, you must have taken a lot of time to get her that good. Nice!! :-) Makes me want to get my butt out there and try a little harder despite this weather.

Post Number: 5758
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 05:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you ever had a horse that didn't want to load into a trailer? Any tips on that would be very helpful... My new boy is not bad, just not much experience and I want to build his confidence but don't want to make any mistakes and end up going backwards. :-)
flyhawk (flyhawk)
Username: flyhawk

Post Number: 2439
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 01:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm with you maresgreat. I had an awful experience bringing him to winter boarding. Never want to repeat that! I never had issues with him before but he was NOT getting on that trailer....
flyhawk (flyhawk)
Username: flyhawk

Post Number: 2440
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 01:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Memom - where do you go in FL for the winter? Finally retiring next June. Can't wait!
memom (memom)

Post Number: 5045
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 05:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are in Naples, just a few mi from Picyunne Strand. My mare stays home and has her vacation and I lease a horse down here! You’ll love retirement!
memom (memom)

Post Number: 5046
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 05:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cathie Hatrick Anderson is our trailer loading expert. Bobcat Farm Upton MA and she travels to you if needed.

Post Number: 6205
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 05:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I mentioned before mares, most of my horses came from auctions. Some never loaded before in the normal way, they were in stock yard alleys and driven on stock trailers, follow the leader type loading, some loaded great.
I had many different ways to load them after I bought them, sometimes at midnight.
Once I got them home I taught them. It's hard to sell a horse that doesn't load.
This video I made was from a couple of years ago. Ruby and Willy.
Ruby has only been on my stock trailer, Willy had only been on a 2 horse ramp with a divider, I think.
By the way, the front left door is unlocked but closed. Never leave the door open, they might try to fit through it. Never leave it locked ,always have a way to escape. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxx6_PCqZtw

Post Number: 5760
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 06:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Bill, good video! I can see you teach them to listen at every step, forward or backward. They were both very willing even with not much experience. You can see that both really trust you. Very encouraging. I have a 2 horse with a divider which can also open up. Making this a priority this year to work on. Thanks for the great video. Also, love I think it's Yogi in the background watching Ruby getting her lesson. So cute. :-)

Post Number: 6209
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 09:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yesterday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lWl0u6vf1k&t=15s
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 13114
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 06:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice ride Bill!!
Everything is a choice.

Post Number: 6210
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 05:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you JC. It's been awhile. This winter, unlike past winters, has been terrible for riding. It's probably just as well, I have a new right hip coming sometime this year. Years of abuse has taken a toll, as you know.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 13115
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 07:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You'll do great Bill! Are they going to do the anterior approach?
Everything is a choice.

Post Number: 6211
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dr. Steven Murphy. New England Baptist Hospital. Superior Capsulotomy. I go for a consultation in April. Procedure, not sure when?

Post Number: 6212
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I can't ride again, I'll be back in the horse selling business again.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 13116
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 01:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You'll be able to ride again. It's amazing what they do now Bill. You'll be weight bearing right away and up and walking to the bathroom as soon as you're awake. It's truly amazing. The one important thing I will pass to you that my surgeon told me was "If it hurts don't do it no matter what ANYONE tells you". That includes exercises that you may be given. He was very adamant that the one thing that can set you back is pushing too much. So just listen to your body above all else and you will be back in the saddle faster than you think. I probably could have tried to ride sooner...but the Dr. said to me after 6 months your body has filled in solidly around the implant and he didn't care what I did after that time frame so I let that be my guide. But at 3 months you will be living your life like nothing happened. Make sure you ask him to show you your xrays before and after. I found it really interesting to see them.

My other hip is acting up now so it's probably just a matter of time before I am having that one done too.
Keep us posted Bill!
Everything is a choice.

Post Number: 6213
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 04:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info JC. I was going to ask you earlier but I was still in denial.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 13118
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 07:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think we all do that!!! Mine was slow and insidious and I just kept thinking I could stretch it away...ha, ha!! Even my doctor felt my back was the bigger issue until I went to the orthopedic surgeon and he did his own xrays. Very clear when he pulled up both hips and pointed out the differences. I was essentially bone on bone which is why I had limited range of motion...no amount of stretching was going to fix that!!
I'm assuming your doc does just hips? I know there are some who do multiple joints but I preferred someone who just did hips and this doc specifically did the anterior approach. Very specialized and precise. I was very impressed with his style and manner and everything went without a hitch. If you haven't already googled and youtubed the process.....don't....until after the surgery. You may be different but I was glad I didn't know the blow by blow method until after the fact. Sometimes a certain amount of lack of knowledge can be a good thing, LOL!
You are the perfect candidate for a full and speedy recovery Bill as you are already in good shape.
Everything is a choice.

Post Number: 6214
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not too squemish, my wife is an operating RN and we even talk surgery at dinner time. I find it all very interesting. I've watched a few videos of various hip operations. This is the doctor and procedure I've chosen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHzuXQDx9Bk. I'm looking forward to the operation but the wait may be months (he's in demand).
I didn't have issues with my hip until Yogi landed on top of my leg / hip. I probably had arthritis in my hip before but the incident pushed it over the edge.
My left hip seems fine, knees are a little shaky but livable for now. From my waist up I feel like I'm in my 20's and just as strong, not so below the waist.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 13119
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I confess to being a bit squemish!!! ;} Yes, there is a wait for the good ones. Knees are a whole different ball game...but the technology has come a long way with those as well. I hope to not have to go there!!! My grandmother always used to say "Who's that old woman staring back at me in the mirror? I don't feel any different on the inside!" Now I know exactly what she meant.
Everything is a choice.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration