Defusing a buck on a narrow trail. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Training Forum » Defusing a buck on a narrow trail. « Previous Next »

bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 6076
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 08:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A crow hop could be the start of a buck and not good on a narrow trail with rocks and trees. I normally don't raise my voice to a horse but if I do they pay attention.
There's plenty of room to disengage, If they get their head down it might be too late.
When a buck starts, I don't analyze why, I can do that later. I can usually tell if the problem is short lived. He continued on no problem. Colleen said a small branch got caught up in the girth of the saddle and was dragging on the ground. No excuse, no bucking allowed no matter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hZqm_SN4wg.
I love this horse, he's fun to ride.
maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 5596
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He swerved a little left then right, right before the buck so he did seem like something wasn't right. He is such a nice horse. I can def see why you love him. He is turning into a nicely trained, fun to ride horse. :-)

Post Number: 6077
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 03:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the same ride from my camera. I turned it on after the incident. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhRmABQ1OJY

Post Number: 5600
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 07:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So how do you defuse a tarp from a 4 year old that thinks there has to be a wolf under it? Bringing my boy in tonight, he thought the tarp covering my EZ Groomer in the rain was a dangerous animal. It was dark so I didn't push it but I know I'm going to have to find a way to have him make friends with Mr. Tarp so I don't accidentally get killed someday when I am riding him. Any past videos of tarp training? Somehow you always make it look so easy. The good part is my new boy is a very, very good boy and will trust me training and to go anywhere, so far. I never want that trust to be ruined, but I also need to find a way to make him understand he doesn't need to be afraid of tarps. I'm sure this kind of fear has potential to cause a serious accident if not trained to be used to them.
memom (memom)
Username: memom

Post Number: 5019
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 08:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mare was terrified of tarps when I got her years ago. I started weighting the corners of a good sized tarp and putting her hay on it. Her stomach convinced her.
"Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."(author?)MA
memom (memom)
Username: memom

Post Number: 5020
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 08:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like how you made him move right on after correcting the attempted buck. Another thing I noticed on the 1st video was that Coleens horse had her ears back at the canter. I always thought my Arabian mare was just being competitive when she does that. Maybe itís just natural for the following horse. Keep those videos coming!
"Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."(author?)MA

Post Number: 6078
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 07:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ23iDtG9PI
I do these things on a regular basis, it's all part of living here, no big deal. Everything done in this video was started from a distance. Tarps for instance. The tarps in the tree next to the hay works great. Hang it when there is no wind blowing. Let the tarp flutter around in a light breeze. It's a gradual stimulus, hay is the motivator. After awhile, even gale force winds blowing the tarp doesn't won't them, but a crinkle of a fresh tarp or bag might, so mix it up gradually. Same with everything else. Expose them to whatever, but don't scare them suddenly. Always have a reassuring voice. They can pick up the calmness in your voice (If you stay calm) when things go south. They will also understand the firmness in your voice, if used appropriately.
As for ears, it depends. Don't misunderstand intently listening to you with bad behavior. A horse that is intently listening to you is evident by his ears. A horse that's interested in everything around it will also be evident by it's ears.
Ears can be an indicator of lots of things, from pain too pleasure. Lilly, the paint, is bulletproof on the trails, go through anything type of horse. She walks along at a steady (too slow for me) pace, ground ties under all circumstances but can fly when asked. She loves galloping and shows it with her ears back focusing on Colleen who is always talking to her. Put her in the arena and her ears are back. She's at home on the trails.

The pecking order in a herd sometimes is carried along with other horses on the trail. Shifting positions or keeping a little more distance helps.
I've been to a couple of Julie Goodnight clinics. In this article you might pickup a few tips. http://signin.juliegoodnight.com/articles/free-articles/julies-blog/resistance-to-canter/

Post Number: 5603
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 06:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Bill! That video is incredible! I am already getting some new ideas from it. Simple concept, just takes some work and time. Now I know why all your horses are bombproof. My favorite part is when you say, now lets up the ante!! lol and your horses don't even care. I can tell you mine certainly would! But I don't have a gun to use to try that part. The rest I can do though.

Ahh, also I may need to work on bombproofing myself first so they can read into a calmness from me first Incredible but yet not. You put the work into it so all of us sitting here wondering how you do it, it's because you do it, and prob almost every day! Can't be an armchair quarterback (or horse trainer) and get your horse trained from the couch. Got to get out there and do it.

So I do have one question though. So they are all so good about the blowing tarps. But do you have even one horse that might actually let you yourself put a tarp near his nose, or onto his back? I wouldn't want to walk them on one because I think they could be slippery and could have potential for an accident. But it would be nice if they would let you touch them with one so that if they have to pass one while riding they will hopefully know what it is and not be freaked out. So have you gone that far with tarp training???
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 12861
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mares, you can start with a small one to have them walk over it, even just start with a corner at a time. Start feeding them their hay on it and they get used to it fast. The small ones are much easier to maneuver especially if you want to start laying it on them. You can work up to a larger one. Drape them on the fencing, over their stall doors etc. just having it around them helps them acclimate to it. Step by step...of course each horse is different as to how long it takes them to get used to them. My boy is not very reactive and I was able to go from having him walk on it to placing it on his back in one day. The next day he allowed me to ride him and drag the tarp along with us....but that is because he is so trusting and doesn't get flustered easily. You will know when to increase the challenge by how your horse reacts. It's fun!
Everything is a choice.

Post Number: 5604
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks jc. Will start a little at a time. My boy is very trusting also, so hopefully I will be able to get him used to it. So far he has followed me everywhere on the ground, and refused nothing. A really good boy. I would love it if I could make the progress you did riding him and dragging the tarp next to us, well a little at a time I guess. Thanks fo the tips. :-)

Post Number: 6079
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 02:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I may have posted this once before. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IZA9YTNXks
Start with old worn out tarps. A tarp laying flat on the ground wet looks different to a horse than a dry tarp. New crinkly tarps need more caution. If you start too fast you could really scare a horse. The name of the game is to get the horse to trust you and not be afraid of your next move. Slow and easy on everything.
Just so there's no miss understanding, don't do the crinkly bag or crinkly tarp stuff to start, most horses would freak out. This is for later after you've done your home work.

Post Number: 6080
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 03:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder who's under there? https://photos.app.goo.gl/CZ4stcco1ptjlwkH3

Post Number: 5607
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THAT is unbelievable! On a horse that when you got her, had been so abused you could hardly go near her. Wow, I am speechless! Talk about progress!!! Talk about trust! That picture shows total trust. Such a nice pony.

Good point on the old worn out tarp which I do have. I like the crinkly bag you did with Jodi. We'll see how it goes. Will start very, very slow. Thanks for the tips. Hoping I can do as well as you did. My boy is so good, I think as long as I go very slow I should be able to get somewhere with this.

Post Number: 6081
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes mares, no rush. SLOW. If you scare a horse enough to bolt away, now you have to regain the trust you already had. Sometimes it's not easy.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration