Need advice for clipper shy horse Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Training Forum » Need advice for clipper shy horse « Previous Next »

maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 5536
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 02:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My pony is really clipper shy. Anyone have any advice on how I can get her to not be so afraid? I just purchased a new pair and they are nice and quiet. I want to make sure I have the right approach because I don't want to strike out with these also, hoping these new quiet ones will help but have not tried them on her yet. In the past, as soon as they turn on, she jumps and I can't get anywhere near her. I can't even touch her muzzle, no way under her chin. I'd really like to be able to clean her up a little and get her bridlepath. Anyone have a horse like this? So what did you do? Bribe her with treats? I'm ready to try anything!!!
horsegeek (horsegeek)
Username: horsegeek

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 04:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK...this is going to sound really off the wall and crazy but I am telling you the gods honest truth....It works!!I have a mare who could be volatile at best when the clippers came any where near her. I asked a horse friend for advice and she told me to get a "battery operated boyfriend" AKA vibrator...and put it in the horses food tub while they are eating. At first do it with the vibrator off, once the horse gets used to eating around it, turn it on. Not lying, I looked at her like she had three heads, but I tried it and it does work!!!!! I was able to clip her nose, her throat latch and even her bridle path and ears. It sounds super crazy and very out there, but it does work.
missmagetta (missmagetta)
Username: missmagetta

Post Number: 3592
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 09:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clicker training works amazing for this. Alexandra Kurland has a ton of info in it.
"I Don't Whisper, I Translate!"
Happy in NH
Rudy (rudy12)
Username: rudy12

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love the vibrator ideal...lol... All my horses where afraid of clippers at first and I use the big, loud body clippers. What I did was after I spent time grooming them I took the clippers (not on) and let them sniff them and then rubbed them on their neck and sides, still off. After they showed no fear of that then I would turn the clippers on , in their view but not go near them and the whole time they are snorting or doing what ever it is they are going to do, keep the clippers on but pat and maybe feed some treats and keep reassuring the horse it's ok. You'll see that after a while they settle. Do that for a few days and work up to the clippers on and just rubbing up and down their neck and sides but not clipping and so on to eventually they will be fine. Good luck
Nic Fradette (nicfradette)
Username: nicfradette

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 09:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Find a big enough area to have your horse on a long lead and turn the clippers on away from her. Let them run where she is comfortable and inch your way closer. If she starts to leave, let her but don't turn off the clippers. When she stops, turn them off. This will teach her running away will not make the clippers go away and get her thinking that the won't hurt her and that when She stops, the clippers stop.
If she does any kind of erratic behavior, you've started too close. Simple concept but, works with a lot of training. Taking the pressure away when they run or act out only teaches them to run from things they're afraid of rather than engaging the thinking side of their brain. Obviously, stay safe and if you've started too close, don't cause a wreck, just start over, further away. She'll get it.
Nic Fradette
Nic Fradette Horsemanship.
maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 5574
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 02:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

horsegeek, that is too funny! But yet I can see the practicality of it. I'm keeping all my options open for whatever works. If what I am doing right now doesn't work I will def try that. Thanks for tip. I never would have thought of that. :-) Rudy, right now I'm taking the slow approach and doing what you do. Nic, thanks for the feedback, will use the pressure and release also, makes sense. Thanks everyone, the last thing I want is for him to be afraid so all your advice is very helpful!!
missmagetta (missmagetta)
Username: missmagetta

Post Number: 3594
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An electric toothbrush is a quiet introduction too and only about $5 at Walmart!
"I Don't Whisper, I Translate!"
Happy in NH
Nic Fradette (nicfradette)
Username: nicfradette

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 02:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Electronic Toothbrush, great idea, Missmagetta. :D

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration