Trouble catching a horse? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Training Forum » Trouble catching a horse? « Previous Next »

bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 5933
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 03:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not for everyone but it works. We're still buddies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBIfWxsR1wk
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 12720
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 09:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't say I'm a fan of that one Bill. Sorry.
Everything is a choice.
delilah (delilah)
Username: delilah

Post Number: 3792
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 09:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seems dangerous.

Post Number: 5934
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll make a video this week to show the results. i don't feed treats to get a horse to come to me. This is just extended round pen work. I usually get my horses, not from a corral or stall but the pasture. It's a real pain when you can't catch a horse. She's the only one.
I can get any horse to join up in a round pen, including this horse. In the wide open spaces with lots of horses to duck behind, it's a different ball game. I'll put a halter on any of them straight on, no treats, but not this one. i'm done playing hide the string games, being a sneak with a pocket full of treats. I don't play games with the other horses. I know I can fix this horse. This is training for respect. I don't hit horses, just move their feet. if a horse pinned his ears at me, say at feeding time or any other time, that's dominance behavior, that's what dominant horses do to subordinate horses, not allowed. I'd drive the horse away and let them in, on my terms, not theirs. That's what a dominant horse would do. These are horses not humans. That's really all I'm doing here. I love my horses.
Yes delilah, it can be dangerous, riding a horse can be dangerous also. I like living on the edge. Notice, none of the horses tried to hurt me. They don't challenge the leader unless the leader shows weakness. Notice I didn't try to hurt the horses, I just chased the one I wanted to stop.
She was a ranch horse from out west, good riding horse. I'm sure she was a working horse, They probably put her in a corral when they were done with her and roped her when they were going to use her.
When she was close to the barn, I could catch her no problem, however out in the wide open spaces she probably has flash backs of the west and just doesn't want to be caught.
This could have been easier if the other horses were in a different pasture. It's just a little bit more of a challenge this way. I've said it before, if you want a horse to stop and stand still, move their feet until they stop, then reward, the reward is standing still. A well timed release of pressure, is the most important treat a horse can receive. I rarely give treats when training, but I do give treats not training, because they like them.
maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 5413
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 02:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I watched till only 23 then had had enough. There are much better ways. This is a huge NO WAY!!!!! Unless you are out to destroy their trust. Really surprised you did this and more surprised you posted it. Well, guess we can't agree on everything. This one made me ill.

I saw you half heartedly play with Willy once sort of doing this. Not sure why this would ever enter your head to do this with horses but disappointed.

Post Number: 5414
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 02:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Watch John Lyons. When he's trying to catch a hard to catch horse, he'll stand quiet and turn his back to them, standing in one spot. The horse inevitably will approach and sniff him until he turns and is able to catch them. Some people turn and give them a treat, to BUILD confidence. I've tried this myself and it does work with my mare. There are so many other ways.

Post Number: 5935
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 07:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I knew I shouldn't have posted the video, too many people that don't understand the concept. This is the conventional way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFQ791ZXAaU
One of the first videos I ever purchased was from John Lyons, back in VHS days, Before that, I read his books.
I've done my homework. I do horses almost all day, everyday. I have no other job. Sometimes I sit on a rock in the middle of the same pasture I made the video in and just watch them.
If you watch horses in the wide open long enough, you'll see that sometimes, for no apparent reason (to us humans) they'll take off and run, just like in the video. Why? You won't see this in a stall or coral but you will in the wide open.

If my horses didn't trust me , they wouldn't do this without a protest. No confidence? https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=P7QuUeBa29w I have confidence that they do trust me.
I train for trails, not ribbons but that's just me. Can I or a horse get hurt? of course. They're horses, I'm a human. My favorite horse was Cody. He broke his leg in a pasture accident caused by an unexpected bolt of lightning. Pretty hard to prevent something like that, even if you wrapped them in bubble wrap. He lived the good life, as free as a domestic horse can be.
Do these horse look abused and scared? I made this a while ago. Same training then as now. Let me know if I should change my training. Same horses now, minus Cody , add Willy. No grain, no treats for training then or now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhUGAusEtmk
That's my buddy Cody laying down with his eyes closed, almost the way I found him that dreadful day.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 12723
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 07:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think we all understand the concept Bill....but chasing a horse with a motorized vehicle is a whole different ball of wax. There are a million different ways that could have gone bad and you are simply lucky that nothing happened. Minimizing risk is an important priority to me and many other horse owners as horses can injure themselves or others so easily and that ramped up the risk level way to high IMHO.
Did it work...or has she simply shutdown to that stimuli? I would never, ever choose that as an option as there are better ways but I know you won't hear it.
Everything is a choice.

Post Number: 5936
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 09:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it ever occur to you that I have used the convention way or did you not read my posts.
I don't think you understand the concept and there's no use trying to explaining it. It's like the bucking video posted. I try conventional first, doesn't work, I find out what does work. I purposely went to a live Chris Cox clinic on fixing a horse that bucks. Guess what? it works. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=WHh4wk-046U
This isn't conventional but the alternative is a dead horse. Would you buy a horse that bucks? I didn't think so. Think about this technique. You cinch up a horse, right.? The first time you cinch you don't crank it up tight, right? You eventually ride a horse with a tight cinch right? This is just moving the cinch back, like a bucking strap that many western riders use, especially roping horses. If you tighten it too tight at the start the horse might protest and buck, right? I pulled on the rope/bucking strap and the horse bucked like I knew she would. The difference is, I removed the pressure immediately when she stopped bucking which was 25 seconds from the start. That 25 seconds of perceived pain may have saved that horse from going back to the auction there she came from. Pressure and release training. I only wish I knew this technique earlier in my horse career, it would have saved a lot of pain for me and the horse. Thank you Chris Cox. In other words, sometimes you have to go beyond conventional to fix something. The horse in this video learned real quick not to buck and no pain was involved, same with the horses running around the field.

We all seem to like horse racing. Nothing more brutal. Research the broken bones and deaths in the racing industry. The auctions are full of x race horses. Look at the rescues. I've owned a few, fixed them and sold them to good homes.
hoofsense (hoofsense)
Username: hoofsense

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We'll have to agree to disagree about the value of treats . . . My Azteca gelding came to me with the warning "Leave his halter and leadline on when he's in the pasture." It used to take me over 2 hours to catch him, and then I'd simply give him a treat, put the halter on, give another treat, take the halter off, and walk away.
I use treats as a reward - not as a bribe. My horses know I usually have them, but not always. It is ALWAYS their choice to come or not, but it's definitely the better deal if they do come! For a horse who flees out of fear, as my gelding did, or out of fear or dislike of being worked, such as your mare, making the human seem like an excellent deal is paramount in my opinion.
So yes, I'll use pressure and release and reward (ultimately), but with several different ways. With my gelding, the more you chased him, the more you pushed him away from you and destroyed his trust - even if he faced you and you released, his adrenaline would be soaring, and it didn't matter how good your timing was. Round penning took just as long as the open field to catch him.
What worked for him, was long afternoons of taking a chair out into the field and doing and expecting nothing. Treats in hand, and using my mare (with whom he was turned out) as part of the draw since she would come right up to me and he started to wonder what was so good that she would do that. Now, I can walk right up to him, and put the halter on, and, finally, other people are beginning to be able to do things with him as well.
So many different ways of achieving the same result. There is no one way that will work for every horse. For me, for my horses, the treats have been a wonderful way of helping achieve my objective. The respect is high for humans in my little herd of three - I can walk out there with a pocketful of treats, and each horse will wait his/her turn, standing in close proximity to each other, and not dominating me or each other to get more. If there was a problem, believe me, I would address it!
Part of the key is keeping treats as a REWARD, not a bribe. Big difference between the two . . .
missmagetta (missmagetta)
Username: missmagetta

Post Number: 3586
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why is it always "if you don't agree with me then you don't understand"? Like truly always. Anyone who disagrees "must not get it or else they would agree". Maybe, just maybe, that's not the case...
"I Don't Whisper, I Translate!"
Happy in NH
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 12724
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not talking about Chris Cox, a bucking horse, or TB racing, or all the horses you have saved. I am talking about the approach you chose to use in the video you posted about teaching a horse to be caught. That's it....nothing else. You won't ever convince me that it is a useful technique that I would ever consider using. That's my personal choice. To simply say I don't understand the concept which is why I disagree is arrogant on your part Bill. I perfectly understand the "concept" you think you are using and I disagree with your delivery. But hey, you must be right 'cause it works for you. You are free to your opinion as am I. I'm done discussing it with you because there is no way I can see finding mutual ground. Agree to disagree. Have a nice rest of your day.
Everything is a choice.
Reg B (regb)
Username: regb

Post Number: 6574
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 01:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Other than the larger scale of being out in the open, this isn't THAT much different to what you might do in a round pen.
I have done it on foot, but certainly not in THAT MUCH space, perhaps a half or 1/4 acre paddocks, but in that much space I guess use of a vehicle is acceptable.

I watched quite carefully and didn't see any of it as harassment, there are parts where you properly advance/retreat according to what she does.
She's a clever girl that tries to use the other horses for cover (-:

I was a little surprised that there weren't a lot of negative comments under the you tube posting, I think most people who watched it there "got" it.
0024 - Guess my license class.
festive (festiveone)
Username: festiveone

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 02:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dont normally comment on "training videos" since I think most are complete b.s.
But I have to catch my boy out on several acres, with two pasture mates. I handle my own horse, and one other on nearly a daily basis. All come to me when I need them. No chasing them down.
Just patience, and a solid relationship built on trust before they even get out to the open field.
But hey, to each their own. But if anyone ever tried this "chasing" approach on foot or not. Out with my horse? That would be an issue.
You yourself lost a horse due to a broken leg out in the pasture. Why risk actually causing another such injury?
Abby Peterson (abbyp)
Username: abbyp

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 03:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would encourage those who haven't to watch all the way to the end before passing judgement. Or skip to the last minute or so if the fast-driving parts make you want to cover your eyes. There is a big difference between chasing a horse and moving the horse with a purpose. The horse isn't running in a panic, and you can see the other horses understand it's not about them. The result at the end is very nice. I doubt Bill would have handled it this way if fear of humans were the issue for the horse.

It would be inadvisable to enter a pasture with 20 horses in it with pockets full of treats so that's really a non-starter for this situation, seems to me.

Post Number: 5937
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 03:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why ride a horse? There's aways a risk when riding a horse, to both horse and rider, ask any jockey. In fact there's always a risk doing anything with a horse. Try cross country or any kind of jumping.
My horse broke his leg when a lightning bolt hit next to him, he bolted to left and accidentally tripped on a large root and went down a small embankment. There's always a risk, even with a barn fire. My horses don't have to worry about barn fires.
Thanks for your concern festive, I'm sure Cody and I appreciate it.
Missmagetta, when I believe in something, I stick by it. If I thought, "it's my way or the highway" I wouldn't be on youtube or going to training clinics looking for better ways. By the way, this was a morning of releasing pressure, Apply pressure, release pressure.
I usually provide evidence that it actually works. I wasn't flaming on anyone, but there were plenty of flames coming my way. Show me what you got! I can usually back up what I say, including this. Every camera has video capability. Show me!
Reg gets it.
Thanks JC, I had a great morning despite the rain. I even have a video to prove it. Oh, you can't see the smile on my face.
So I went out there this morning. No surprises. Things went exactly as I thought they would. I even used my 4 wheeler again. Here's the results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZOJpLlsCxw

Post Number: 5938
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 03:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You watched it right Abby, thank you.

Post Number: 5939
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 04:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At 3:26 you'll see that you don't need treats. Their treat is being rubbed on. Most horses like being rubbed on. Horses don't give each other treats but they do like mutual grooming.
littie1 (littie1)
Username: littie1

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 04:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, love your videos, I agree, there were no stressed out, scared horses. Reg said it well

Post Number: 5415
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 05:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everyone has their own methods of horse training. I guess if this works for you then that is good. What I see is a horse that is traumatized from being chased by an ATV and eventually gets so tired, she hides behind another horse and you can finally get near enough to pet her. Your answer for building confidence in a horse afraid to be caught is to chase it with an ATV for quite a while. To me she looked traumatized and I really felt sorry for her. I don't think she'll ever be the same again after that. I honestly believe this is making her worse, but if you feel it is helping you then I guess that works for you. I do agree there are different ways to train and everyone needs to find what works for them. But if people disagree then supposedly this forum is for expressing your thoughts, which you are getting both ways. A healthy dialogue doesn't always see things your way. I still like most of your methods and know they do work, just not this one.

Post Number: 5940
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 05:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I understand mares.
Thank you little1

Post Number: 5941
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 08:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mares, I don't want you to have bad feelings about this. I know how concerned you are about the well being of horses.
Just so you know. 4 wheeler aside, when I would go get her that was her MO, hide behind other horses , a real pain but worth the ride I would get in return. Of course if there were no other horses out there, that wouldn't be an issue as in the round pen.
If you look close starting at 3:32 you won't see any traumatized horses. Even when I drove by Jodie in the 4 wheeler she never paid any attention to me, even Pokey was laying on the ground as I drove by and didn't even get up.
I hope you watch this again and point out a traumatized horse. If you do, I promise I'll un traumatize the horse.
memom (memom)
Username: memom

Post Number: 4963
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 08:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm with Abby on this one too. None of the horses looked or acted stressed including the mare you were herding! Look at how the herd kept separating as if to say, "hey get with the program, don't hide behind us from the boss".
"Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."(author?)MA
delilah (delilah)

Post Number: 3793
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 08:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I get it if the horse is totally used to the 4 wheeler, then she is just running around. My horses hardly move when I run the tractor in their paddocks and they don't care at all if I run the mower thru to their pasture. My gelding can be a pain to catch and one of my mares seems to think I need to be protected from him, she chases him off ears pinned and tail swishing at him, always between us. Thinking of all the training you do, I don't think I am in a position to judge, your horses totally respect and like you.

Post Number: 5942
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 08:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The easiest way would have been to isolate her from the herd by moving her to another pasture, then it's one on one, plus a machine. But.. it's not as much fun and I'd be missing out on some of the herd dynamics that took place.
I would have done the same thing if a horse was acting dominate toward me but food would have been involved. Lets say, if I was feeding the horse and he pinned his ears at me, swished his tail or made other gestures of dominance. I would then drive the horse away and only allow him back when the 'let me back in' signs showed, repeat when necessary. My situation may be different than most, I don't feed in stalls.
In this case, food doesn't play into it, the herd is what she really wanted, not food. No way could I do this on foot, even if I was young and ran races, she would out run me and end up back in the herd. That's why the 4 wheeler. They know the 4 wheeler, farm machinery doesn't bother them, it's old hat but a horse isn't going to stand and let a machine run into them.
They knew in short order I was after one horse, that's why the other horses were going about their daily lives of eating grass, even Pokey was laying down and the 4 wheeler was zipping by.
As much as Jodie tried to join back up with the herd..there was Bill and the machine.
As soon as I could see any kind of join up signs, I backed off. This is what a dominate horse would do. Obviously I'm not a horse but they get it, if you stick to your plan. If you don't follow through or at least leave of on something positive you could make things worse.
Everything that happened out there was planned and followed through. Even the other horses probably were sending her messages of, Quit the Sh..this is getting old. Notice Pokey try to bite her butt, dynamics.
Today I'm going back out without the machine and see if anything stuck. I have to brush hog weeds today but I won't be chasing her around with my tractor.

Post Number: 5416
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 09:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She was traumatized from the entire episode yesterday of being chased by an ATV. If I had a horse that was afraid of being caught and therefore also of me, the very last thing I would ever do would be to chase it with anything. Chasing her does not build her confidence to come to you, it only makes her more afraid. The fact that she hid behind a horse and got so tired out from running that she let you go to her and pat her does not mean she will be any easier to catch next time in fact I think this is part of the reason she is afraid and you are only making it worse.

Post Number: 5943
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went back out this AM with my camera, no 4 wheeler. We'll see if you're right mares.

Post Number: 5944
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just don't see any traumatized horses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fkTEr38BRs
memom (memom)

Post Number: 4964
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a great read you have with your horses, slow and steady. They are lucky to have you!
tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3065
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like it worked. None of them look traumatized to me. A horse that's shut down in fear and trauma won't stand there calmly grazing. To me it looked like she's smart and had learned a great way to avoid work. Now she may be learning she has to work harder to avoid work, so it's not worth it anymore. She wasn't displaying any signs of fear or nervousness. She wasn't pooping a lot, no whites of her eyes, no tense posture, looked like she was just having fun racing around to make her point.

Both my horses will willingly come over to me, when they feel like it, treats or no treats. If they don't feel like it, they'll also turn and walk away, treats or no treats. Both have also done the good luck catching me run away game if they're in a mood or not had any work for a while. Since they've moved recently, each has broken out of their stalls and gone on a little freedom jaunt to tour the place. Just because they're trained to be caught doesn't mean they don't have minds of their own.

Post Number: 5417
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 01:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting herd dynamics. I love how Pokey wants your attention. What a sweet horse. Jodi looks wonderful. I can see the trust building. Probably won't be long before she's sticking her head in her halter for you, when you hold it out. :-)

Post Number: 5945
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 04:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lots of people can relate to this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el3j65DsAvs
delilah (delilah)

Post Number: 3794
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 06:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's so my horses!!

Post Number: 5947
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 07:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ha, I had you in mind when I recorded it.

Post Number: 5949
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 03:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last one, all done for a while. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw-NoFOS0zA

Post Number: 5420
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 03:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is one good looking mare!!

I like that you check their angles when you trim. My own farrier doesn't do that, seems like that would be important. Maybe some just cut corners to save time, because they do it all day long, still I would like to know the angles on my guys esp my tb with the low slung heels.
linda (linda)
Username: linda

Post Number: 818
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 05:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for the ideas,bucket drop grain bag etc.. ok WD40 is that what I saw you use in mane?? what gave you the idea to try that and does it work?? toby mane is very dry... horse does not look traumatized at all...

Post Number: 5951
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 07:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Been using wd40 for years. Met a dealer from out west and he used it. I buy it by the gallon and put it in sprayer. I usually spray it from the conventional spray can. near the eyes or wipe it on with a sponge.
memom (memom)

Post Number: 4967
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 07:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wd40 great for getting burrs out of forelock and mane but I use sparingly as it dries out my mares hair.

Post Number: 5952
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 08:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes memo, it works great on burdock. I only use it when necessary and only on the mane, tail and forelock.
memom (memom)

Post Number: 4969
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 09:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahhh, burdock was the word I was searching for. Try like !|%|# to eradicate from the field but always realize I missed some when "Lucille Ball" shows up at feeding time!
blucollarguy (blucollarguy)
Username: blucollarguy

Post Number: 283
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 01:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We use the gator or the bobcat to get our horses to the gate of the large paddocks, but not in the way you think. We use the gator to bring hay and grain out to feed the horses that are out 24/7. When they hear the diesel engine in the gator or the bobcat they come running thinking it time to eat even though it's not their normal feeding time. Can be a real pain in the butt tho when we have to take either machine in the paddocks for maintenance. The swarm all around the machine, ignoring the horn or revving the engine. Always have to take a second person in the paddock to shoo the horses away so they don't accidentally get run over. If I get out of the machines for any reason I have to push my way through a herd of nosy horses looking for something to eat. Annoying but you got to love them just the same.
Wish my life was as good as my horses.
rider (rider)
Username: rider

Post Number: 3605
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 02:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our horses are out on 75 acres. (Herd of +-40 horses) Every once in a while we have one that won't get caught. What works is to walked them down.

- Pressure - doesn't have to make them run - stay within 50 feet and look at them - your eyes create pressure. The thing is once you start - DON'T STOP (which may mean you'd sometimes better pack a lunch. LOL) If you DO quit - expect it to take twice as long the next time you try.
- Pressure will also isolate them from the herd. Actually the herd will get annoyed with them since your prowling around keeps them from fully relaxing. I've had alpha mares "help" tell the culprit to quit messing around and get caught. LOL

We had one gelding who loved to help. He'd go get the culprit and herd him back to me. LOL

Yes it takes time. When you catch them - walk to the barn, maybe groom for a minute, offer water - and then release. Wait an hour and do it again.
CT <> <> <> <> CT <> <> <> <> CT <> <> <> <> CT

Post Number: 5957
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with everything you said rider. Problem is, I have a leg that's off, I cheated. As you said, bring a lunch, no relief walkers in sight. You're also right about the other horses getting annoyed. One man operation.

Post Number: 5958
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know my horse Jodie came from this type of ranch. A good read even if you're an eastern, english big barn horse person. The horse world is huge. http://cavvysavvy.tsln.com/blog/wrangling-cavvy/

Post Number: 5959
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They might not do this out west on a working ranch, no reason. Get on them and ride!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8piHJgECOzI

Post Number: 5424
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, good video of how to de spook with Lily. I really enjoyed that. It is good timing for me because I have my new Morgan that just turned 4 last month and I am trying to expose him to new things. I am looking for things esp in groundwork because he has had nothing until I got him so I am starting with a blank slate. We have been working in the round pen, but the sort of things in your video are just what he needs right now. I can't wait to go and try these out with him. He is a very trusting boy, and is just soaking in everything I am doing with him and learning so quickly. He certainly has been a great find for us and been a great addition to our little stable. :-)

Post Number: 5425
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A heart-warming story. Lucky horse. I just can never understand how this stuff happens. :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ji5Nas9CQ

Post Number: 5426
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another one: +Midnight Runs Star Stable Wow cool story! Not exactly what happend.... :') I took care of her and her previous owner sold her without telling me. So I had no idea. When I came home from my holiday she was already gone and the owner wouldn't tell me where she was. But my mom found her and made an appointment with the new owners and took me

What a beautiful pair!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXcO902cFcg#t=173.891946
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 12733
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heartbreaking seeing all these horses so starved. There is just no excuse. My old girl wasn't quite that bad when I finally got her back...but pretty darn close. It's so despicable for people to do that to them. Thank God for all the Angels out there who give them happy endings.
Everything is a choice.
calysgal24 (calysgal24)
Username: calysgal24

Post Number: 5832
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 08:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done.....Out here it's pretty normal...and we don't have too many traumatized horses.....Its not unusual to have horses out on 50 Acres.....I wouldn't walk that.
Gone WILD....In Virginia....Join me!
Mark G (prtraining)
Username: prtraining

Post Number: 205
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 09:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right idea Bill.

Post Number: 5960
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think my horse Jodie still loves me even after the trauma. I brought her back to the house a few days ago, I took this video this morning. If you watch the video that follows this one, you might scratch your head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jATx91W_ifE

Post Number: 5961
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 01:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm heading out to the big pasture where the majority of the horses are with my camera and lawn chair. I want to see how the horses act when the solar eclipse starts. Just because.

Post Number: 5963
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 09:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a continuation of Jodie, Ruby and the pecking order ritual. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLLei5q7U_A
Licking, chewing and lowering of the head are significant signs of join up, in the round pen and in herd communication.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 12740
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 08:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, did you notice any different behavior during the eclipse???
Everything is a choice.

Post Number: 5965
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 09:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, nothing, it was a dud around here, hardly and change in the light.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 12742
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 07:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I found the same here. But...a retired co-worker who is traveling across country viewed it in Idaho. Her pictures were quite dramatic that she posted on FB.
Everything is a choice.

Post Number: 6021
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 05:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Same horse Jodie, today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IZA9YTNXks
delilah (delilah)

Post Number: 3808
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 07:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill really you need to stop scaring that poor girl!! LOL!

Post Number: 5500
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 08:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, painted pony needs donkey advice under general. Like now!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration