Bill, any good rides lately? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Training Forum » Bill, any good rides lately? « Previous Next »

maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 5373
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 04:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How's Mr. Willy doing? He is SUCH a NICE horse. You've done so much with him. Love the video of you ponying him on QT. He's come a long way from that. Hope all is well with you and that hip. Take care. Hope you're enjoying the summer. :-)
bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 5871
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 07:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Willy is doing fine mares and Bill is on the mend, thanks for asking. Hope all is well with you. This ride is from yesterday, Lilly/Colleen, Ruby, late afternoon, (love the long days). Maybe I'll take Willy tomorrow? The hip isn't 100% and probably never will be, but doable for now anyway. Ruby is a smooth ride. She's the only horse I have that was born and trained at the farm. She was, is, my special project. As with the rest of them, just for trail riding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkUbIb96wkM
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 12558
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, you could try taking some MSM? It might help your hip. I take the NOW MSM powder, 1/2 tsp. twice a day mixed into a liquid. It tastes bitter but easy enough to just swallow down. Their brand is pure with nothing added and I get it in the 1lb. jar from Vitacost.
Everything is a choice.

Post Number: 5872
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll look into it JC, thanks

Post Number: 5376
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 04:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also good is Glucosamine/Chrondoitin. Even the cheaper CVS brand works. One of these might bring relief. We use the Osteo Bi-Flex because we like that it only takes one a day to work.

Nice video. Ruby is AMAZING following you so good down the road loose. So impressive. She really trusts you also, galloping through the tall grass. So cool, on the reverse camera view! Colleen looks like she has a lot of horse on her hands when the galloping begins. She does so well with her though, and I think Lily adores her. :-) Your rides together always look like so much fun!
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 12561
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 06:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice ride!!! Good Ruby and Lily.....and of course, love the pig!!! I think you should make that the closing on all your video's....
Everything is a choice.

Post Number: 5874
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 09:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Willy and Lilly today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uujBTVZpNRI
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 12564
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 08:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Willy's doing great! Nice job! Ha, ha....love the pig at the end, that is a must!!!!!
You have a great life Bill as do all your animals!
Everything is a choice.

Post Number: 5875
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes JC, nobody knows this more than Bill. My nine lives were used up before horses, this is gravy.
I'll try to put Spike in the mix, he likes showing off.
delilah (delilah)
Username: delilah

Post Number: 3762
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 09:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill is it easy to post videos to youtube? I would love to show off my fancy STB mare!!

Post Number: 5876
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. Get an account, it doesn't cost anything. You can get a youtube app on your smartphone if you have one and upload directly from photos. You can also go directly from a movie program in your computer to youtube or drag the file to your desktop and then drag it to upload a video in youtube.
You can go to youtube, type in search .. 'How to upload a video to youtube' https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+upload+a+video+to+youtube

Post Number: 5894
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 06:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vkIueDv_FM&t=324s

Post Number: 6075
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 07:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another Willy/Lilly ride today. A beautiful day for a trail ride. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhRmABQ1OJY

Post Number: 6088
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 04:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbH_hYRHIl0. Charlie, Saturday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f39dwfB127o. Yogi today

Post Number: 5612
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 09:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awesome video with Yogi. He's really beautiful. He looks like a lot of fun to ride. He is really smart, still looking for treats. Wow, never thought of the problems that can cause. Shows also how smart they are. Hey Bill, I saw this article on alternatives to hip replacement. Didn't know if there was anything here to interest you or not. https://www.caringmedical.com/prolotherapy-news/hip-replacement-surgery-alternatives/

Not sure how you keep on riding but would like to see you pain free. Anyway an interesting read. Thanks for the Yogi ride. You do have the very best horses. Always looks like so much fun. :-)

Post Number: 5614
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noticed at 1.12 mins there is this beautiful stone wall that just stops. Looks like some kind of boundary line. Weird how it just stops but nice for you to be able to ride through like that.

Nice cantering on Yogi. Of all your horses, who has the very smoothest trot and canter? Who is the most comfortable to ride???

Post Number: 6089
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 06:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you mares for the hip info. very interesting. At the moment my hip feels pretty good. When I had the accident the Psoas Major area was also stretched and seems to be more of a problem than my hip. Between doing farm work, my own farrier stuff and working out at the gym 3-4 days a week, I'm on the mend. Gotta keep moving, no time for the pain. Even had thoughts of heading to Puerto Rico.
The interesting thing about Yogi is, he's the horse that fell on me and got my hip and leg problem started. He did nothing wrong, my fault all the way.
When I said in both videos about my favorite horse to ride., I said it kind of as a joke. Actually all my horses ride pretty much the same.
All around smoothness would probably be Jody. My favorite horse was Cody, but. Ruby is awesome but I'd say that anyway because she was born here and I trained her from a foal. Her mother, at almost 30 is also a great ride, even now. Freddie is also really smooth. Pokey the same. Charlie is also rock solid and smooth. Willy is totally fun to ride and smooth as silk and keeps me on my toes.
The gait that is easiest on my body is cantering, galloping even better. On the horses I mentioned, my body feels like it's floating, not so much in the ring. I like trails and I think the horses like the trails also. There's not much boredom on trails so they stay focused and have fun.
Yes, stone walls. All this woodland were pastures way back. Makes you appreciate the work that went in to clearing them, with horses, oxen and stone boats.

Post Number: 6096
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sunday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFL6YcMW4mM&t=34s

Post Number: 6099
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-hPR_LG_Pg&t=3s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX6OX9cXBSQ&t=2s
linda (linda)
Username: linda

Post Number: 831
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 06:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you think bells on saddle would help alert bear and deer your around...thought bears would hear and smell you and go the other way...am I wrong...love videos..thanks

Post Number: 5618
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great videos. Oh boy Bill, I really hope you never ever run into one. And if you do, I hope your horse does turn and run like **ll!!!

Post Number: 6100
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have run into bears before. The last time I was on Ruby, a friend on Jody and Colleen on Lilly. I was in front and two bears bounded by across the trail 20 yard in front of us. We could see them coming, they never slowed down crossing and kept going at the same pace. The horses don't do much of anything because they could see them coming. That was the closest that I've been. If the bears appeared suddenly from behind a tree, hold on! Bear can run as fast as a horse so maybe it might be better to stand your ground. A horse with a rider will look pretty big to a bear.

As far a bear bells, it wouldn't hurt. Colleen has them for Lilly and sometimes I also attach them. If we get in an area when bears normally frequent, we'll yell, Hey bear!! or whatever just o let them know we're around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsfxoTRHoAg

Post Number: 6101
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 06:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a trail cam compilation 2017. The horse pasture about 1/4 mile from the critters so it's desensitizing the natural way. The only animal that has hurt a horse or dog is the porcupine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2DlolRfalU
bobflyby (bobflyby)
Username: bobflyby

Post Number: 519
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very cool !!!
linda (linda)

Post Number: 832
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 - 05:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you own a zoo....love it..

Post Number: 5619
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 08:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill just a barefoot question. Do you keep your horses barefoot all summer and fall? Are those trail rides on barefoot horses? Then you put front shoes on in winter? Just wondering. They seem to keep their footing so well, wondering if any of them have shoes or they do that well barefoot? Whatever you are doing it certainly works!! :-)

Post Number: 6102
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They're all barefoot on the trail except for Lilly. When the snow and ice comes, I'll put borium and rim pads on the front, sometimes on the rear. I leave some barefoot and ride them when the conditions are ok.

Post Number: 5620
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, they seem to have great traction on the trails. I guess that is what having good feet does. My Morgan has nice barefoot feet and want to keep him barefoot as long as he is doing well. Will have to think about this winter and possible shoes and borium.

Post Number: 6103
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 01:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my opinion, shoes don't hurt hooves, quite the opposite. They protect their feet, especially on gravel. Borium helps prevent slipping and sliding. It depends on the riding conditions. If your horse is ouchy barefoot, it's telling you something. Yes there are boots but most people don't leave them on 27/7

Post Number: 6104
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 08:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmO6utDZP4g

Post Number: 5622
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 09:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saw that big area of water near the end where colleen was waiting for you. How do you know that your horse's won't sink down too deep into it? You always make it look so easy but seeing that and some of the deep tire rutts would make me cautious. Glad you both had such a great ride! Looks like a beautiful day and your horses were so good.

At 2:03, is that where Jody had a meltdown once where she got caught up? No leftover fear there at all, nice.

Jody is so pretty. Waiting to see Freddie!! My favorite!! :-) Love Spikey at the end.

Post Number: 6105
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

mares, the water is their year round drinking hole. The ruts are from tractors going in to get wood. The ruts probably harbor a few hoof boots.
The meltdown was in another spot, we go by there often without issues.
Freddie might be next, he's due, today maybe.
memom (memom)
Username: memom

Post Number: 5027
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 06:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yup, you know your trails. I learned the hard way not to investigate new stream areas that are leaf covered.
"Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."(author?)MA

Post Number: 6106
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 09:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

QTee today, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VeTzkXvAyg

Post Number: 6107
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 05:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Same horse QTee 3 years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGzWUtxRKkg

Post Number: 5623
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My hat's off to you. I think as long as you ride her like you know her, which is considering her age, you are really extending her life and giving her a senior life, love and care most senior horses never get. So heartwarming to see her living such a great life and valued. See so many seniors on cl and other places where they are just not wanted anymore after giving many years of service sometimes to the same owner. I think Qtee enjoys your rides.

I'd just always keep her age in mind as to what she can do which it looks like you do. I would be careful not to overdo it, you wouldn't want her to do too much and have that create a health issue out on a ride. You know her so well after all these years. Is she still handling the winters okay?

Post Number: 6108
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 02:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I let her tell me, she dictates the pace. I avoid real steep hills and tricky footing.

She's the only one that gets grain, Blue Seal senior extruded with a grain bag. She drops grain because of her teeth, so the grain stays in the bag not on the ground, good to the last pellet. Her teeth may be an issue as she ages.

No blankets unless it's a cold rain. They are never in a stalls just run-ins. She has a really good coat and I want to keep it that way.
linda (linda)

Post Number: 833
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 05:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

fell in love with qtee..no arthritis showing in videos...she has great spirit..I had to stop riding my quarter horse at 28 as he kept falling..but he sure wanted to follow the trailer... how do you get the duck tape off???

Post Number: 5624
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 06:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my senior mare also had issues, dropping grain, choke. dr. leah limone found she also had sores on the side of her cheek from sharp points hitting it when she chewed. After one visit from Dr. Limone, she is so much better. No more chokes and gaining weight, looking better. Also reduced the amount of grain dropped. Leah Limone DVM 978.500.9293
Northeast Equine Veterinary Dental Services, LLC She specializes in senior horses and dentistry. But also a good dental check from your own vet may help her out. I was horrified to see the sore in my mares cheek and that was after my own vet had done her and various other horse dentists. Always good to get a dental check done esp if its been a while.

Post Number: 6109
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 07:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good on checking the teeth.

The tape just pulls off.

This is the same ride but Colleens camera. Mares acting like mares. Mother and daughter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbfXCtkC2GU
memom (memom)
Username: memom

Post Number: 5028
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2017 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mares greeting mares = hiccups
"Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."(author?)MA

Post Number: 6111
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 05:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Freddie on Saturday, Pokey on Sunday and of course Lilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_WY4JkXqw

Post Number: 5635
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 05:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, I Waited a long time and i got jipped out of Freddie's ride. So what happened??? he looks beautiful as always, and you were just starting the ride. 42 seconds of Freddie not enough. :-(

Post Number: 5639
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 08:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both GoPro's seem to blur up a bit at the canter. Must be the wind causing it. But nice resolution otherwise. Looks like a nice ride.

Post Number: 6114
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 07:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I noticed the same. When I put the youtube setting on HD it went away. Also the lighting was terrible, no contrast, just gray.

Post Number: 6116
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 05:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is Freddie and company from this summer. Notice the deer ticks on the deer when it was close up. I may have already posted this before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6a34TdsYNI

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration