Trainer to start dressage horse Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » Dressage Chat » Trainer to start dressage horse « Previous Next »

Gooial (seafoamgreen)
Username: seafoamgreen

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 03:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey all,

I know this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find anything in the archives. I'm looking for someone to start by young gelding in the spring. He's a small horse/pony with a light build, so someone very heavy wouldn't be suitable. I do not want somebody who does tons of roundpen work, as I don't want this guy's legs or joints compromised. Basic lunging and long-lining, along with lots of hacking around is perfect. Thanks!
NH_Dressage (nh_dressage)
Username: nh_dressage

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 03:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So many questions come to mind.... But for starters....

First, do you want to be involved in the training process? If yes, then location of the trainer is probably important.

Next, how much training has the gelding had to date?

Is he up to date on vaccinations?

And, of course, how old is he?
Natural Horsemanship & Dressage : It's all about Happy Horses
Gooial (seafoamgreen)
Username: seafoamgreen

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 03:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He will be 3 at the start of May. I would like to be involved, but if I can't find a suitable trainer close to me, then I'll forego that. He's had minimal training thus far; he came to me without much other than basic handling. I know he has worn a saddle according to the breeder. He's a busy-minded guy, and if I had time I'd do his preliminary training myself, but I am too busy rehabbing my other horse. He will be UTD on vaccines after Feb, as he isn't due for anything until then. I'm in southern MA.
flyhawk (flyhawk)
Username: flyhawk

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 07:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A friend of mine has used Jessica Halliday of JH Eventing in Sutton MA. Not purely dressage, but she did a great job with her 5 year old. Lots of hacking and exposure to all kinds of events and things just as a "tag along".
brunosmom (brunosmom)
Username: brunosmom

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 08:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have started many young horses over the last 29 years, classically trained dressage trainer. Kind,logical,references available. Email me at echoike@aol.com for details. We are in Concord Ma. Thanks

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration