Vitamin E deficiency Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » General Discussion » Vitamin E deficiency « Previous Next »

nice (nice)
Username: nice

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone dealt with this and what were your horses symptoms and recovery time after treatment?
yankeeclipper (yankeeclipper)
Username: yankeeclipper

Post Number: 591
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 02:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My horse showed no symptoms but 1 horse was very deficient and had assorted issues. Many of us decided to test and it turned out most of the horses in the barn were deficient. He gets a daily supplement of Elevate Maintenance. Very easy.
Big Bay (big_bay)
Username: big_bay

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 03:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a pretty informative article here:
http://kppusa.com/2018/03/02/vitamin-e-essential-nutrient-horses/
When things go wrong, don't go with them.
Big Bay (big_bay)

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 03:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And this one:
https://equusmagazine.com/diseases/needvitamine
missmagetta (missmagetta)
Username: missmagetta

Post Number: 3665
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 04:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We had numerous horses test low last year and the vet said she had seen tons. My horse unfortunately was older and had several other issues and did not live long enough after starting treatments to know if it was a factor. Another horse was pretty much neurological and muscle wasting. He was seeing many vets. He has mostly recovered. We used a very expensice prescription supplement that I am blanking on the name of at the moment. We also began with a vit e injection. It was diagnosed via bloodwork.
"I Don't Whisper, I Translate!"
Happy in NH
walkinghigh (walkinghigh)
Username: walkinghigh

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 04:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of the horses at the barn kept losing weight. After increasing feed and hay and he was still losing weight, had blood work done. It was a Vit. E issue. Started on supplement, weight went back on and he is doing fine.
melg27 (melg27)
Username: melg27

Post Number: 326
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 05:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My horse just didnít seem right...musculoskeletal issues,, could have been neurological......tested very low for vitamin E. I used Elevate for a while but now am using Smart Pak. Issues have been resolved.
nice (nice)

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 05:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everybody!
Same story here, low counts after blood work, lost muscle behind and seemed sore all over.
Liquid Elevate for now (5,000iu's) and a retest to see where we are at.
Big Bay (big_bay)

Post Number: 178
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 07:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I realize you are dealing with a diagnosed deficiency however it is worth remembering that Vitamin E is fat soluble meaning the body is capable of storing it in fatty organs (especially the liver). Horses fed only hay or that have a hard time keeping weight on are most at risk of deficiency. The most bioavailable form is alpha-tocopherol. Good sources of alpha-tocopherol for horses are: wheat germ or sunflower oil, black oil sunflower seeds (in the shell is fine), pumpkin seeds, peanuts (again, in the shell is fine), sweet red bell pepper, very dark leafy greens (not every horse likes them as they are bitter), and squash or pumpkin. My horse loves salted peanuts in the shell and they make a convenient treat or reward when we do stretches. (FWIW, a 5lb bag of Hampton Farms peanuts is about $7 at DeMoulas'. A 40lb bag of black oil sunflower seed is about $20 at Tractor Supply.)
memom (memom)
Username: memom

Post Number: 5204
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 08:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it recommended to do a blood test for vit e needs?
"Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."(author?)MA
tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3697
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2019 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. My mare lost a ton of weight she went from a 5 body condition score to a 2 in just two months. She literally was on the verge of dying. It turned out she had Cushing's and vuta in e deficiency.
Low dose of prascend and liquid elevate and she gained all the weight back in two months and got a nice shiny coat again.

It has to be the liquid elevate that now only vets can sell which is expensive. The pelleted suppliments that feed and tack stores don't help a horse that truly is deficient or has trouble absorbing it. She's actually on a lower dose now because she was doing well on it. She was on 6 ml I think daily but now the vet cut her down to 4.

I don't know which problem was worse for her or if it was a bad combination, but she's staying on the prascend and liquid elevate forever!
Big Bay (big_bay)

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2019 - 08:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tbtrakh, good news about your mare! FWIW you might want to consult with your vet about switching to Jedwards International's d-alpha-tocopherol. It's the same compound at a slightly higher potency (1000IU/g) and costs less. KPP's Elevate is about $7.50/oz whereas the Jedwards' is $1.22/oz. https://bulknaturaloils.com/d-alpha-tocopherol-1-000-i-u-per-gram.html It might also depend on how much you're feeding per day since potency can be affected by storage. (It makes a very nice skin lotion or bath oil, too!) :-)
delilah (delilah)
Username: delilah

Post Number: 3992
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2019 - 01:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How much sunflowers do you feed?
Big Bay (big_bay)

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2019 - 01:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I feed about a 1/2c 2x/day of black oil sunflower seeds. My vet said they're safe to feed and not to worry about feeding more. Also gets a few peanuts now and then.
Big Bay (big_bay)

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2019 - 01:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tbtrakh You might also want to ask your vet about balancing d-alpha-tocopherol with gamma-tocopherol as it's possible for the d-alpha to deplete the gamma. An excellent source of gamma-tocopherol is crushed flaxseed (as in Omega Horseshine).
nice (nice)

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2019 - 03:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did buy the first bottle of Elevate from my vet.

You can actually buy the liquid Vit E from Allivet without a prescription.

https://www.allivet.com/p-727-elevate-ws-natural-vitamin-e.aspx

It is expensive as I'll use around 2 bottles a month for now. I'll more than likely continue with the liquid as I know he's getting the full dose by syringing it into his mouth. Another thing to note is that if you top dress your grain it needs to be done just before you feed as it will loose its concentration once in the air. I keep my bottle in the fridge in my tack room.

IF you think your horse is deficient you need to have a special blood test done to confirm, then go with what your vet recommends. The blood is tested at Cornell.

This horse is on pasture all summer and fed a balanced extruded feed as well as rice bran. He was also on a Smartpak that included Vit E/Selenium and Magnesium. If your horse has a metabolic issue it needs to have another level of care.

I've learned that if your horse is deficient you don't want to try to self remedy as left untreated it can cause permanent damage (muscle and neurological), just my two cents.

missmagetta (missmagetta)
Username: missmagetta

Post Number: 3666
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2019 - 04:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes it was Elevate that I used as well. The tack/feed store variety isnít too big of a deal to feed regardless but if you are going for the heavy concentration ones, get the bloodwork first. Overdosing a fat soluble vitamin can be just as dangerous as being deficient.
"I Don't Whisper, I Translate!"
Happy in NH
Jeff Livingstone (hippotekhni)
Username: hippotekhni

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2019 - 04:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those of the biochemistry bent: the fat soluble "vital amines" are A, D, E, and K. While it is much harder to overdoes on the water-sokubke ones, you do need to be careful about overdosing on these. The excess is de-toxed in the liver. Hitting it with too much can be etiological.
Home of "Enlightened Horsemanship"
www.hippotekhni.com
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3699
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2019 - 05:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no idea if this is true or not but I've been taking my pets to Angell Veterinary Hospital for care for the past year or two and they have a lot of services and seem to have a good reputation.
They have signs everywhere cautioning against using online pharmacies that are known for being cheaper and specifically mention 1800petmeds, allivet and several others as being unsafe to use.
They claim that the reason these places are able to be so cheap is they ship black market medication from China, overseas and unregulated places, so the potencies, dosages and expiration dates are comeplety unregulated and can vary widely and you have no idea what you're actually getting.

They say they try to offer rebates and discounts and to try to only use veterinarian pharmacies that are regulated or compounding pharmacy like Wedgewood and diamondback when necessary.

I'm not at all looking to debate with anyone or start some heated debate. Just passing along a warning I e seen for others to do with it as they will.

I have pet insurance so my small animal expenses get reimbursed, or ninety percent of them do. Best decision I ever made.

My mare is close to thirty and always has been expensive. I'm a little afraid to change anything with her since she's doing well and is allergic to everything but I appreciate the suggestion Big Bay. She flat out won't eat flaxseed or Omega anything. I got it from smartpak and she won't eat her whole meal if it has a trace of flaxseed in it. They don't make a liquid that I can syringe into her. She's convinced it's poison.
Big Bay (big_bay)

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 06:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tbtrakh If she doesn't like crushed flax (not every horse does) you might try chia or hemp seeds. Both of them are also rich in omega 3. But you are right - at 30, it's obvious you are doing right by her and she's earned the right to be discriminating in her tastes. All our horses should live such long and loved lives! :-)
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3700
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 07:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! It's just frustrating. People can take flaxseed oil in whatever form. I couldn't find any liquid forms then it would be easy to syringe into her.

She's always been extremely picky and hard to keep weight on so it's not worth fighting with her over any one suppliment. She'll refuse a meal then get stress ulcers and lose a ton of weight very fast.

I'm usually very strict and firm with all my animals about manners and if they don't eat they don't get a new meal until they eat the old one.
But at her age she does whatever she want as long as it's not dangerous.

And of course now I have a whole bunch of delicate animals with food allergies, health issues and just allergies in general. Drives me nuts.

One cat has always been skinny now he has cancer and if doesn't eat I found out the hard way not to listen to the vet. Can't change his normal diet at all or awful diarrhea non-stop. For three weeks. On a long-haired cat. Disaster.
My other cat is allergic to everything, including timothy like the hay the horses eat and pine. Allergic to salmon and pork and potatoes which he loves.
The cats can eat chicken and beef.
The dog's horribly allergic to chicken and will only eat salmon and pork. Dog food is salmon and potato. So he constantly steals the chicken cat food. And gets diarrhea too for days. The allergy cat constantly steals the salmon and potato dog food and pork/bacon dog treats.

I go crazy reading labels and checking any oet food I buy and trying to remember who's allergic to what.

Don't even get me started on everything my mare's allergic to and doesn't like. Or the medication list for each animal

I tried to write it all down once. And the allergy list per animal.

All I can say is thank God for my younger horse. :-)
Big Bay (big_bay)

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 04:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liquid form is available but as previously mentioned it's fat soluble. Best not to supplement unless you have a diagnosed reason to do so. A diet with occasional seeds and nuts should be enough for most horses. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/animed-flaxseed-oil-1-gal-1133478?cm_mmc=feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1133478&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyamO7tr13wIV0-DICh3h7wnPEAQYFyABEgLQKfD_BwE

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration