30+mph winds tomorrow Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » General Discussion » 30+mph winds tomorrow « Previous Next »

maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 6044
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 01:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So will your horses be in or out? How much wind is too much wind for you to put your horses out? I have one horse that really gets nervous in high winds. I am probably going to leave them all in tomorrow because he will freak if they are out and he is in. So how much wind is too much wind for you to put your horses out? Just started wondering about this.

Post Number: 6045
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 01:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After reading this article

https://equusmagazine.com/horse-world/eqwind3282

leaving them in tomorrow. Esp since I don't have sheds for them outside. Very true about eye irritants in the wind also. Good article.
bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 6444
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 08:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mares, the horses usually just put their butts to the wind. I think when it's really windy they are on high alert, nervous. They rely on awareness of their environment. The sound of the wind and noises from the trees get their anxiety level up, like deer.
If it's really windy, I'll feed their hay in front of the run-in where there's a natural wind break plus the wind break of the run-in. I'll probably do the same today, if it gets as bad as they say. They,would probably freak out if I put them in the barn. different sounds, different environment, they just aren't use to it. I can only speak for my horses.

Post Number: 6046
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

60 mph wind gusts between 10-2

I guess a lot of this decision is if you have shed or not and what your horses are used to. Bill sounds like u have a good plan for today.

By the way Bill. I loved the trail ride with you and Colleen. My favorite part was Buckey. I don't know if u know this but your donks are so expressive, they really r telling you they love u. I've never seen anything like it!! :-)
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13468
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 04:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never lock them in and won't tomorrow but I can choose where to hang their hay nets. When it's nice they get hung out in their paddocks, if it's somewhat yucky with mild winds I hang them in their run in's that are attached to their stalls, if it's bitterly cold and mega winds I hang them inside their stalls. They can still choose to go outside but at least they will be out of the wind or wet when they want to eat.
I also bought my gelding a nice blanket on black Friday from Schneiders that I've been waiting to put on until the weather was bitterly cold and windy...tonights the night!!! It has a 10 year waterproof guarantee so hope it lives up to that.
The weather has been so crazy this year with temps all over the place!!!
My gelding's job is to be the "watcher" so when it's really windy he is on full alert as far as taking many breaks to look around and scan to make sure all is well. If he acts concerned then my mini mare is out there with him watching the watcher while my mini gelding is doing what he does best...eating! He could care less if there was anything out there..no one's going to interrupt his eating! Ha, ha!!
Everything is a choice.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13469
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't get nearly as cold here as they predicted...
Everything is a choice.

Post Number: 6048
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 04:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No it wasn't as cold as expected. Hope your boy is enjoying his fancy new blanky!! Fun to watch them interact together. The mini's sound so cute.

Schneiders make great blankets. Your boy should be nice and warm this winter. :-)

Hoping the rest of the winter also won't be too bad. Hoping for not a lot of snow.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration