Best Halter for Field T/O Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » General Discussion » Best Halter for Field T/O « Previous Next »

MrPerfections (mrperfections)
Username: mrperfections

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2018 - 06:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi: I'm watching a friends horse who is out 24/7/365 and he is boarded. They leave their halters on all the time. What is the best halter type to buy.. she has him in a full web halter, but is there something safer/better? What have you had good luck with. They don't play halter tag out in the field, i'm more concerned about safety and visibility. thanks!
shockrahawn (shockrahawn)
Username: shockrahawn

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2018 - 07:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Breakaway halters are popular: a nylon halter with a leather crown for safety. The leather crown is readily replaceable. Very common with haltered turn-out programmes.
Abby Peterson (abbyp)
Username: abbyp

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2018 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Agree on the leather crown, and I would also look for one with brass hardware since brass will break if the horse gets hung up, whereas steel will not.
shenandoah (shenandoah)
Username: shenandoah

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2018 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I make all my halters into breakaways. You just cut the strap that holds the circle you clip to and replace it with Weaver Leather Breakaway Fuse (3-Pack). They cost about 10 bucks for a 3 pack
If I'm not in the office, I'm in the forest.
festive (festiveone)
Username: festiveone

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 07:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always used a leather crown halter on Rhett. And never turned him out without a halter. Made it a lot easier to get him at the gate when there were multiple horses out with him. I found that he broke the "fuse" ones more frequently, which led me to walking the pasture looking for the halter.
Joozybug (joozybug)
Username: joozybug

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 09:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use this one
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/rambo-fieldsafe-halter-3886?utm_source=cpc&utm_medium=google&utm_content=shopping&utm_campaign=kt_shopping_tes&utm_term=13886&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_anwnpex3wIVghlpCh3fcwejEAQYBCABEgIDsvD_BwE
shenandoah (shenandoah)
Username: shenandoah

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joozy, this is life changing !! Our young STB is a halter stealer so the fuse does break frequently and I have a halter grave yard in the pasture. At least the velcro is reusable if I can find the halter in time !
If I'm not in the office, I'm in the forest.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration