Ok rant I admit it Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » General Discussion » Ok rant I admit it « Previous Next »

tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3665
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 05:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The place I boarded at for literally decades, but that my mare LOVES, was sold. So less than a week ago, the whole barn moved to a new place.
I hate it. I moved because the owner provides great care and has never charged extra for the gallons of grain my girl eats and in general is a laid-back nice person. My other horse is fat and had his grain cut so barely eats any now and my mare barely eats any hay.

The place is five miles further so now is a seventy mile round trip commute for me and instead of forty to forty five minutes is just under an hour. That's speeding at night with absolutely no traffic. Little difference but makes a big difference, my migraines are complicated but driving on long empty highways is actually the worst thing for me. And that five miles is empty, there's nothing, no stores, no gas stations, no restaurants, just deserted creepiness. Not even a shoulder to pull over on for my ancient unreliable car.

I like driving through or by a town to buy things if needed, get gas, pull over, whatever, on the way to and from the barn. Nope.

The place is tiny. The ceilings are low so my mare practically hits her head walking into her stall. The floors are uneven so both horses and I trip going into and out of the stalls and arena. I literally can't fit myself and my dog into the bathroom, so have to tie him and he whines and barks the whole time he can't see me.
Driveway is tiny, now no trailer parking except for two "special"people. Tiny tack room my stuff is put outside due to no room.
No run-outs, turnout is tiny and muddy.

Last place was huge included wide aisles, trunks in aisles, high ceilings, large and small indoor arenas, several bathrooms, large outdoor, lots of trailer parking, 24/7 run-outs, unlimited space though small turnouts.
The ceilings are dangerous as are the uneven floors, my mare trips a lot anyway and my gelding is sure-footed and even he was tripping.

To lose so many amenities I feel the board should go down, nope it's the same and may increase. We're told to take our extra stuff like trailers home. Not an option I live in the city and park my car and truck in the street no way is a horse trailer allowed here. And I have a tiny city apartment that's way too expensive no room for horse stuff here. And horse supplies belong with the horses. What good are bandages and first aid supplies going to do in my apartment an hour away if they get injured?

In my opinion if two boarders are allowed to park their trailers there, then all should be, not just some. I even offered to let him use my trailer for emergencies since it's easier to maneuver in that driveway than his huge six or eight horse one.

It's going to be tough hanging in there for the rest of my mare's life but I don't want to stress her out with another move. If it was just her son I'd be looking right now.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3666
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 05:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just can't understand what he was thinking to move to that place and expect to keep boarders. One of his own horses refused to go in her new claustrophobic stall and had to be walked around for hours.
To tell boarders who've been at a large facility for years to just take everything home and put lots of space restrictions on them and put their horses into tiny stalls and turnouts that are dangerous and a drastic decline from what they had and keep the price the same and even talk about increasing it seems ridiculous to me.
The only thing that's a decent size is the indoor but both my horses are so freaked out I wouldn't even consider riding them. They even signed a year's lease on the place. Seems like bad judgment to me and a good way to go out of business. Really tired of horse boarding.
I don't want to sell my trailer but don't know where to park it either. Just fed up with the whole thing.
I'll probably have to move them in a few months once this place goes out of business. I know I sound negative but none of the other boarders looked or sounded thrilled on moving day either and the low ceilings alone is a huge safety concern for every horse there, many of which are as tall or taller than my horses.
The drive alone is a nightmare now.
The owner must have been under the influence of a mind altering substance to make this decision.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13460
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 07:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps they didn't have a choice? The other place was sold, out of their control, and perhaps they wanted and needed to stay in the area to keep clients. There are not a lot of options out there if you're looking to rent a whole facility. If boarders feel it's too much of a compromise they will move on and then the BO will have to try and fill the empty stalls or consider their future.
Everything is a choice.
QHMor64 (qhmor64)
Username: qhmor64

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 09:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounds really frustrating. I think I know the place you previously boarded...and that was a magnificant facility. Finding another place like that would be so hard.
A couple of thoughts

1. Talk to the barn owner about the trailer parking. I agree with you...it is everyone or no one. It doesnt make sense to let only a few park their trailers.
2. I would speak to the barn owner about the price increase. You have lost amenities... what is the justification for a price increase?
3. Perhaps it would be good to start looking around and see what other options there are. The low ceilings are definitely a hazard, and again I would bring this to the barn owners attention.

I'm sorry this has been such a nightmare. It will be ok!
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3667
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 09:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the kind thoughts.
I've tried talking to him a few times.
He hasn't increased the board yet but said he might have to in the spring
I had thought I'd save some money with a slight decrease from no run-outs but was quickly informed that wasn't the case. I mentioned less amenities, no response
We left it that he was thinking about letting me park my trailer there. I've been pushing on that a lot. The arguments I got were sorry no room and the other two trailers are smaller than mine and used frequently.
I didn't know how low the ceilings are, that's my biggest conxern. My mare panics easily and flings her head up. Luckily my boy doesn't rear anymore since he was gelded but if either panicked and tried to even half rear it could be a bad head injury. And horses panic, they're flight animals.
I know I was spoiled at the last place, but I paid a lot. This place just isn't worth the same amount. Especially since I can't keep my belongings or trailer there currently and I'm not paying for storage.
maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 6036
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, the only good things I can see here is that you like this trainer/owner and he knows your horses and has taken care of them well in the past. So is it fair to say you "trust" him with you horse's care? Trusting someone with your horse's care is such a big thing.

Big thing for me would be turnout. Are they getting turned out daily or unless weather is really bad are they turned out? What is the turnout like?

Are they getting proper feed and fresh water always available?

I'd start with that. Stalls sound claustrophobic. What size are they? Have your horses seemed to adjust to them or are they nervous in them? Do you know the measurement from floor to ceiling to give us an idea how low they are? Low ceilings a pain and dangerous but trying to determine if they are safe for the time being and being turned out so they won't increase chances of getting sick/colic.

Is hay good quality and are they being fed the same as in their old barn? There may be some hidden positives here. Trying to see if I can find any.

In the meantime, I'd be searching, esp to try and get closer drive to your home.

Boarding is very tough. My first priority was always the trust I had in the person taking care of my horse.

Tell us again, what area would be good for you to board, maybe someone here knows a spot you might not have heard about.

Post Number: 6037
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your boy still being leased and worked, or is he let down now?
Jackie Silverman (morskip)
Username: morskip

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know people that park their campers at storage unit parking lots. They pay but I guess it isn't too expensive.
Alicia Harlov (aharlov)
Username: aharlov

Post Number: 766
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I totally know the situation, was wondering how the new place with be because as far as I know it was pretty run down... the old barn that sold is less than a mile from my house, I was hoping that the new place would be an improvement because I always worried about that fencing (I drive by it every day on the way to work)
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3668
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jackie and mares. I may have to look into trailer parking at this rate.

I'll start with the easy questions.
My boy was being leased and worked twice weekly, that motivated me to ride him another 1-2x weekly so he'd be sane and well-behaved. In the past week or two before the move, she completely disappeared without a word.
She lived near my area so the drive, isolation and time was probably too much. It is for me so I don't really blame her! She'd paid for November and disappeared before December.

I just can't realistically drive that distance daily. In the past two weeks, over had to get my car a new alternator, catalytic converter, two oxygen sensors, it leaks oil, two new tires and two "new used" tires, and now it apparently needs a new battery. Plus my truck needs new tires and I just got it a new battery and new cables. Several thousand dollars in credit cards.

I do believe he's feeding the same amount of grain, hay and water. I'd have to go measure floor to ceiling with tape measure and I have no idea what last place was.
He won't starve my or any horses, especially since he knows how I look at my mares ribs every two weeks and take pictures and call the vet and nag him about her feed.
She won't eat hay anymore, it's a non-issue. He gives her a lot to play with daily. She refused all Cushing's safe hay alternatives.
My younger horse is fat so grain got cut and he'll engulf anything in front of him.

Post Number: 6038
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 02:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will she eat hay stretcher warm mashes? My tb mare loves them!
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3669
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 03:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She used to eat those but was refusing them in the last year. She's finally eating all her special senior feed and hay stretcher meals and he increased her to three meals a day last summer when she got thin again.

She looks a better weight at almost thirty then she has in the past ten years at a variety of other places she's been and had looked happy and settled at the last place. That's more important than all the stuff, which I have to remind myself of.

She absolutely won't eat denji, beet pulp, alfalfa or any hay substitute, all have been tried. Without molasses, she buries them in the stall under the bedding lol 😂. Molasses is forbidden due to the Cushing's. So is sweet feed which is her absolute favorite. I'm lucky she's eating anything at all without that.
Her son will settle once I let him loose to run around in the indoor like an idiot and if I worked him daily. I just don't have time to do that. And I need him leased or partially leased to help pay his board but no one wants to go out that far. Can't blame them, neither do I.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3670
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 03:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aharlov I didn't see your post before. This place is definitely not an improvement. It's a drastic decline. I just talked to the owner and they're being turned out for a couple of hours daily but only when supervised. He hasn't gotten electric fencing set up yet and has quite a few horses that will escape besides my younger horse. My mare won't but he will.

Despite all my ranting here, I'm trying not to say anything negative there and just focus on politely advocating on getting my trailer parked there. One battle at a time.
He did say that my trailer could be parked there and that he'd move it there so I don't have to buy new tires right away. He also told the owners of the old place to let him know if it has to move sooner.

So that's nice of him at least. I was politely told that my extra stuff can go back in the trailer which is fine with me.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3671
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 04:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do trust him with care issues and he is good with feed hay and fresh water. My mares stall is always full of hay for her to play with and she always has nice shavings and clean water.
My boy always looks like he's starving and he demolishes his stall but he's a Hoover who inhales everything in sight, looks pregnant and destroys his stall as soon as you clean it. I remember from rough board, I'd do my mares stall in a few minutes, she had special areas designated for pee and poop. His stall would take an hour, he'd spend all day in his run-outs pooping non-stop and come in just to pee everywhere and it would look like his stall had never been cleaned. I could put in two bags of shavings a day and it would look bare. And he'd eat everything you gave him in seconds. His stall is always a disaster zone.
QHMor64 (qhmor64)

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 05:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm glad you were able to talk to the caregiver about the trailer and your belongings. I can't imagine the stress you must be feeling.
As far as the ceilings...how are the horses settling? Do the other boarders have the same concerns? Do you think this will be a permanent place or that maybe he will try to keep looking? I wonder how the stalls worked in the past for previous owners. Seems so strange they would build such low ceilings
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3672
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 07:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the sense it's an old place, I've seen a lot of places with low ceilings before like that. Maybe built in days when horses were smaller Not a fan with two sixteen hand horses.
He said two or three of his own horses have already hit their heads a couple of times. He insists my guys seem relaxed and happy and that the horses are settling in well overall. He's signed a year's lease there so I think he feels stuck and trying to make the best of it.
He's had a few students get random serious injuries in the past few months, not from him teaching but freak accidents on trail rides, and had to put down a few older horses so I know there's been a lot of overall stress. I learned one horse just randomly died this week one morning. Vet thought stomach ruptured or something. Apparently he ate his morning grain and seemed fine then was found a few hours later.
So I'm venting online and trying not to be a pita negative Nellie or Debbie downer or whatever the saying is there.
No sense being kicked out for having a bad attitude, I've already had a minor freakout or two about my stuff being moved, my trailer(we've been texting and talking about it for months) and my mares medications being moved. It's not his fault the place was sold I just don't like where we ended up.
bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 6437
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 06:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The barn sounds like an old dairy cattle barn, some had lower ceilings for obvious reasons. Outside of that, I'm at a loss for words except good luck.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3673
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks I appreciate it!!! Will take all positive wishes I can get!!! If it was just my gelding I'd be looking to move closer and cheaper.
But I think my mare likes having familiar horses and people around and some familiar routine. So I'm stuck not wanting to traumatize her.
At least I trust the guy I board from to have their best interests at heart.
andy (shawnee)
Username: shawnee

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 01:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe Santa will bring you & your horses a new barn, with no ice & snow 24/7 turnout on Kentucky blue grass,
wait a minute that was my wish !!

Post Number: 6039
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 06:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trust is big. It usually won't let u down. Take 1 day at a time and see how u feel over time. You know your horses best.
memom (memom)
Username: memom

Post Number: 5197
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 09:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Day by day as Mares said. I know you’re “ venting online and trying not to be a pita negative Nellie or Debbie downer or whatever the saying is there” but many horse folks do read this site.
"Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."(author?)MA
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3674
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 04:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good points. I'm honestly not trying to bash the guy who runs the place. It's not ideal for me because the longer drive is tough for me with my personal health issues as well as time and my old car being additional factors.

The low ceilings are the only major safety concerns, the rest is all inconvenience.

I honestly like, respect and trust his judgment as far as caring for my horses or I would have moved them a long time ago. I do wish the move was to somewhere else and I think other boarders might feel the same based on how they looked and sounded on moving day.

But we moved from a huge facility (that easily had 100 horses) that day with multiple subsets of managed barns who all moved. A lot of people there have two horses and a lot have one older retired horse and a younger one they ride.

A lot of horse people were directly impacted negatively by the property owner's rotten(imo) decision to sell it. I can't imagine I'm the only one stressed and even angry about the decision. I wanted my ancient mare to happily and peacefully live out her days there, in a place she loved, without additional stress.
From what I heard a number of older horses were euthanized on the former property because their owners decided a drastic move would be too much for them with their health issues.

I'm not bashing anyone, I just feel that less amenities and further distance don't justify the same or higher prices. My opinion, obviously no one else has to agree with me. I don't think my opinion is particularly unreasonable.

I do appreciate that I've been able to come to reasonable compromises with him over everything so far.
bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 6438
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many horses at your new barn?

Post Number: 6040
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think you ever named the facility and it doesn't hurt to reach out for opinions or to vent such a stressful event in their lives. Major life change for you and major life change for your horses. I hope everything settles down and that you and they are able to adjust to it. No matter how inconvenient it sounds like they are safe.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3675
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks mares. No I definitely wouldn't name either place.
Bill I have no idea how many horses are there now. 20, 30?
QHMor64 (qhmor64)

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 05:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it is healthy to vent frustration. You never mentioned names or bashed anyone. It must be so stressful going through a move, especially when you've been at the same place for years and it wasn't a decision you wanted to have to make. I really don't understand why that property was sold off and is going to be ripped down. What a shame! I hope that your horses settle in and that you can adjust, or find a place that has great care and better amenities. Sigh, if we could all just build our own dream facilities!
Susan G (old_newbie)
Username: old_newbie

Post Number: 450
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2018 - 02:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know about you, but I absolutely hate change, and it's just not my age. I've been that way for decades! Once I get used to something I don't want it to change, ever. So do you think that part of your frustration has to do with that? Although it does sound like the new place really has its issues. But change is stressful, so while you're getting used to the new digs, try doing some deep breathing on the drive there, and focus on your lovely horses and how good it is to be able to spend time with them.

Your BO sounds amazing, and finding someone you trust is huge. I'd much rather have a wonderful BO in a less than ideal situation, than a wonderful barn and a crappy owner. Not trying to diminish your frustration, because I know frustration, believe me, just offering some possible ways for you to get through all this.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3676
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2018 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You got it, I absolutely hate change. I stayed in an apartment with carpets I hated and on the third floor with twisty narrow stairs that I fell on all the time for eleven years because I hate moving so much. I hate packing, I hate the whole process. I hate moving my horses.
And I love my new apartment, well many things anyway.
But I do absolutely hate change, just like my old mare. We're really soul mates.
I won't even get into how many jobs I've stayed in for way too long that had organizational changes and awful bosses and I still stayed til the bitter end. Entire teams left and I was literally the last original staff there. Hate moving.

The longer commute and isolated drive and low ceilings are valid issues. I'm trying to use it as a motivation to clear out stuff and stop being such a cluttered packrat. Same as with my smaller apartment.
Problem is the horses are crazy because they're thoroughbreds with reduced turnout and no work. The further they are the less likely I am to get there daily to exercise them. Especially in winter. But great care and someone I trust is very valuable. I'm just so burned out on long drives and my car just isn't safe or reliable anymore.
But I really appreciate all the good advice and letting me vent.

Post Number: 6041
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 03:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Time for a new car. :-) Treat yourself, you deserve it! I know I drove an old jeep for many years until it wasn't safe. I now am a real Honda fan. I have a 14 year old honda that is maintained and still drives great and with no rust and I just got a new Honda HR-V as a pre-retirement treat to hubby and I and to give our older car which is still running great a break so it will last even longer! Can't beat a Honda! I drive home every night in areas of isolation but they are interspersed with areas that are more rural with homes. But it is a lonely feeling esp at night. If you feel you are in a new and safe car it builds your confidence a lot. Sorry to hear they have reduced turnout and your boy isn't worked anymore. Sounds like a talented horse. Hoping the new year brings improved things for you and your horses. Have you been looking at all for other barns? Any ideas?? Is your BO friend there for a long haul or just temporarily?
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3678
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 03:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think at least a year but who knows. No i haven't looked at other places at all. I don't want to move my mare again too soon or at all if I have to. It's too stressful for her.
I've been working, dog sitting for fun and extra money and looking for jobs as well and living at the mechanic. I have a Honda but it's got almost 200,000 miles on it. I don't see rust but the door squeaks when it opens. The truck has rust. I really loved my Nissans when I had them, they were more fun to drive and had better leg room. Just as reliable as the Honda I have. My Honda will be 15 in the new year lol.
The younger horse is talented it's just easier when he's leased. Motivates me to ride a few times a week and hes so sane and calm and lazy. Makes a huge difference with his mind.
Hope the new year brings great things to you and your loved ones too mares!
festive (festiveone)
Username: festiveone

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We were just forced to buy a *new to us* car. My Santa Fe had over 200k on it, and the oil pump went. And I was just done. But I got $880 for the thing via salvage, which is a lot more than I would have gotten using it as a trade in.
The last quarter of 2018 has just stunk, and sucked the life energy from me. While I miss Rhett daily, I am happy to be taking a break, maybe permanent, from the big horses. Boarding, especially rough boarding, was getting too much for me. And even though I didnt like my twice a day drive *160 miles a day* to the barn and back, no other place would have been "home" Only change I like is when I repaint the walls in my house
silverhorse (silverhorse)
Username: silverhorse

Post Number: 370
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TbTrakh, what about moving out of the city and closer to the horses? I know for sure that moving stinks but it could REALLY make life a lot less stressful! Cambridge is WICKED expensive for even a tiny apartment and you have no on-site parking; plus the traffic in/out is horrendous! If you moved out of the "city proper" you could save A LOT of money and be closer to your horses. You mentioned that you are looking for a new job anyway so maybe look into something on the outskirts of the city? Just trying to think of ideas that would make life easier for you and enable you to spend more time with your horses.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3679
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 03:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Festive I hear you. So sorry again for your loss of Rhett.
Silverhorse it's a good suggestion but I've looked at rents and I wouldn't save that much living further away. Where the horses used to be, the rents were the same as where I am which is crazy to me. Maybe a bigger place but to me that's just more work cleaning it. I love my tiny place it's so much quicker and easier to clean than my last huge apartment. And it keeps me from taking in too many stray pets lol.

I also really love my friends and supports in this area. I've been finding work close to the city and work from home things which I love. And my old cat has cancer and I'm constantly taking him to appointments at Angell, not to mention both he and my other cat have the dermatologist there that they both get medications from and my dog gets his separation anxiety medications from the behaviorist there since that's where I adopted him from. I'm constantly driving there for vet appointments for my small animals and to pick up medications for them so the rest of my life is very connected to this city and area.

Ultimately I want to try to deal with this place and the great care for the rest of my mare's life since she's the delicate high maintenance hard keeper. Whenever it's her time, I'd like to move my boy closer since he's an easy keeper and low maintenance and can live anywhere. Then I'd drive less and have no excuse to not ride him more consistently.
I have no ties to anywhere far from the city anymore and no desire for tons of driving. There's many more jobs in my field in the city and more remote jobs where I can eke out a living especially with petsitting and leasing my boy.
Ideally I'd move South where there's no winters and I could do equine assisted therapy which is my real dream and do therapy with my dog as well. But I'd never put my ancient mare through a long cross country move. I've been in a holding pattern for her and my other old pets for a while now. I'm only in this area because I love the city I'm in. I'd be completely miserable in another area of this state.

I've thought about and researched my various options for years now.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3680
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 03:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I appreciate the help and support on though.
Linda steele (linda01)
Username: linda01

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thats a tough one. Sounds like a big down sizing. Were you not able to keep your horse at the other place? I understand the trust you have with this guy but it sounds like your horses safety/well being may be compromised. They were used to run outs now kept in small stalls, very little turn out. Possible price increase, and your not happy. I would look around for another place. Can you go back to where she was? Sounded like a better situation. Best of luck!
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3683
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 02:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No the place where they were has been sold and will be demolished and turned into some type of real estate housing. I don't know if it's condominiums or apartments.

But it will no longer be a horse property after many years. They were tearing down stalls the last day and using screw guns and power tools to take apart the stalls.
Returning is not an option.

The limited turnout is temporary until electric fencing is set up for all the escape artists. It could be set up already. I'll give him credit for setting up the place very fast. Took me much longer to unpack my tiny apartment.

And I've moved to a lot of places in the decades I've owned her and many very good places she has been thin and stressed and just not thrived at. She's only thrived at two or three places in the 23 years I've had her, as her vet who's known her all this time has pointed out to me.
Unfortunately the one she loved the most and was at the most is sold for yet more housing for greedy owners, not the bo I respect. Totally out of his control.
Change is very hard for an almost thirty year old mare. It's like taking your grandparents at ninety and ripping them out of their familiar lifelong house. Her sights not great and she's very prone to ulcers. At least the horses and people are familiar.
I'd rather be stressed than traumatize her at all.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration