Victor update... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » General Discussion » Victor update... « Previous Next »

maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 6034
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 06:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He wants to return to racing mid to end January. Love the way he bonds with his horses and rides them, but this has me a little nervous. If it were you, would you go back to racing after going through that?

Here is a short article and video interview. I wish him prayers and safety, hope he has a guardian angel looking over his shoulder.

So why can't these jockeys stop? Why can't they become trainers or transition to something that keeps their feet on the ground? No one wants to see anything bad happen to this guy. He has a huge racing fan base and also a great supporter of charities. A good heart. Fly safe Victor...

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Jockey_Espinoza_could_be_good_to_go_for_early_2019_return_123
maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 6035
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 06:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

https://www.drf.com/news/espinoza-progressing-toward-return-now-targeting-mid-january
festive (festiveone)
Username: festiveone

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 07:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know a trainer/driver that is in his 80s. His back was broken in a freak training accident about 7 years ago. He still goes out there and trains youngsters on the track. He'll probably be out there til he dies. Same with my best friend, who is in his late 70's. He still goes out there daily and trains the horses. It's in their blood.
In a way, I envy them that. The fearlessness.
tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3663
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 02:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can understand it, though I'm a chicken at heart lol and nowhere near that level. If your heart and soul is in riding, or a certain discipline involving adrenaline like galloping or jumping, nothing else can replace it.

My mare hasn't been sound for jumping for years. She wants to jump, and bucks and races around when loose or in short lunging sessions occasionally. She jumped a mounting block lunging last year. She used to literally pull me towards fences and try to jump them. Her very first event ever she was disqualified for dragging her green rider over the wrong first cross country fence. She took the girl over the training fence instead of the beginner novice. She dragged my friend over the cavalletti standard a few years ago instead of the pole once.

For years I cantered her over poles on the ground instead of jumping, and let her jump them a bit, as a way of retiring her to light flat work.

I won't ride her and haven't in three years. Vet says I can ride and keep her to a walk. Vet doesn't know her. She doesn't just walk ever, she will leap and race no matter what I do.

I don't feel like I'm really riding unless I canter both directions, even just a circle. Maybe it's the old getting back on and get over the fear mentality or an adrenaline rush taken to extremes. I completely respect sane people who can ride and just walk or trot.

It's just not me, I always push for more. It may be too soon for Victor, only his doctors know that. It is a change from what he said before. I just hope he feels physically ready.
bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 6436
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 05:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tbaby and others. Do you have access to a round pen? I'm not getting any younger and have my share of battle scars. I don't just hop on an iffy horse and air it out like I used to. I still like flying through the fields and trails but I have a check list. Victor will figure out a way if his heart is still be into it, maybe you can too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cghnQP5jlmc
festive (festiveone)
Username: festiveone

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 01:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm done with the big horses. If I ride again it will be at a trail riding place. Or perhaps when we head to Vegas or N.S. My health isnt what I would be comfortable with even handling a horse now. I was lucky with Rhett. He and I "aged" and became lame, together. We had a relationship that was built on deep trust and ground work. I never missed riding him.
tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3664
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 04:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill no round pens but I can turn them loose in the indoor at night and let them blow off steam. My old mare doesn't seem safe to ride anymore anyway, she's got lots of sight issues that make her very spooky, and she's got tons of scar tissue from old injuries, and various other issues that makes her stumble and skip steps a lot. I think adding weight to her would just hurt her so no more riding. She's more than earned her retirement. I miss our days of cantering around even just for a few minutes, but the last few times she felt sore and not herself which is why I stopped. She's on no pain meds and is pretty sound most days to trot and leap and race around like a maniac so I don't want to jeopardize her feeling happy and healthy.

Her son is fine and better behaved riding than lunging but he needs consistent work. My schedule and the longer drive and the sick cat make that tough to do. Not enough hours in the day anymore. He's crazy when he's cooped up for days with no exercise and little to no turnout.

They just moved to a new place a few days ago and lost their run-outs a month ago. Last place was sold so the whole barn moved. I don't even know if they're being turned out or how big the turnouts are. The place in general is tiny so probably the turnouts are small too. Can't blame him for being crazy with no room and no exercise.

I won't ride a crazy or dangerous horse these days either. I lunge for a few weeks to get him back in shape and get his crazies out or pay a pro to ride him first few times. My bad knee can't take the leaps it used to.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration