Victor update... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » General Discussion » Victor update... « Previous Next »

maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 6034
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 06:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He wants to return to racing mid to end January. Love the way he bonds with his horses and rides them, but this has me a little nervous. If it were you, would you go back to racing after going through that?

Here is a short article and video interview. I wish him prayers and safety, hope he has a guardian angel looking over his shoulder.

So why can't these jockeys stop? Why can't they become trainers or transition to something that keeps their feet on the ground? No one wants to see anything bad happen to this guy. He has a huge racing fan base and also a great supporter of charities. A good heart. Fly safe Victor...

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Jockey_Espinoza_could_be_good_to_go_for_early_2019_return_123

Post Number: 6035
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 06:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

https://www.drf.com/news/espinoza-progressing-toward-return-now-targeting-mid-january
festive (festiveone)
Username: festiveone

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 07:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know a trainer/driver that is in his 80s. His back was broken in a freak training accident about 7 years ago. He still goes out there and trains youngsters on the track. He'll probably be out there til he dies. Same with my best friend, who is in his late 70's. He still goes out there daily and trains the horses. It's in their blood.
In a way, I envy them that. The fearlessness.
tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3663
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 02:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can understand it, though I'm a chicken at heart lol and nowhere near that level. If your heart and soul is in riding, or a certain discipline involving adrenaline like galloping or jumping, nothing else can replace it.

My mare hasn't been sound for jumping for years. She wants to jump, and bucks and races around when loose or in short lunging sessions occasionally. She jumped a mounting block lunging last year. She used to literally pull me towards fences and try to jump them. Her very first event ever she was disqualified for dragging her green rider over the wrong first cross country fence. She took the girl over the training fence instead of the beginner novice. She dragged my friend over the cavalletti standard a few years ago instead of the pole once.

For years I cantered her over poles on the ground instead of jumping, and let her jump them a bit, as a way of retiring her to light flat work.

I won't ride her and haven't in three years. Vet says I can ride and keep her to a walk. Vet doesn't know her. She doesn't just walk ever, she will leap and race no matter what I do.

I don't feel like I'm really riding unless I canter both directions, even just a circle. Maybe it's the old getting back on and get over the fear mentality or an adrenaline rush taken to extremes. I completely respect sane people who can ride and just walk or trot.

It's just not me, I always push for more. It may be too soon for Victor, only his doctors know that. It is a change from what he said before. I just hope he feels physically ready.
bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 6436
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 05:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tbaby and others. Do you have access to a round pen? I'm not getting any younger and have my share of battle scars. I don't just hop on an iffy horse and air it out like I used to. I still like flying through the fields and trails but I have a check list. Victor will figure out a way if his heart is still be into it, maybe you can too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cghnQP5jlmc
festive (festiveone)
Username: festiveone

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 01:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm done with the big horses. If I ride again it will be at a trail riding place. Or perhaps when we head to Vegas or N.S. My health isnt what I would be comfortable with even handling a horse now. I was lucky with Rhett. He and I "aged" and became lame, together. We had a relationship that was built on deep trust and ground work. I never missed riding him.
tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3664
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 04:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill no round pens but I can turn them loose in the indoor at night and let them blow off steam. My old mare doesn't seem safe to ride anymore anyway, she's got lots of sight issues that make her very spooky, and she's got tons of scar tissue from old injuries, and various other issues that makes her stumble and skip steps a lot. I think adding weight to her would just hurt her so no more riding. She's more than earned her retirement. I miss our days of cantering around even just for a few minutes, but the last few times she felt sore and not herself which is why I stopped. She's on no pain meds and is pretty sound most days to trot and leap and race around like a maniac so I don't want to jeopardize her feeling happy and healthy.

Her son is fine and better behaved riding than lunging but he needs consistent work. My schedule and the longer drive and the sick cat make that tough to do. Not enough hours in the day anymore. He's crazy when he's cooped up for days with no exercise and little to no turnout.

They just moved to a new place a few days ago and lost their run-outs a month ago. Last place was sold so the whole barn moved. I don't even know if they're being turned out or how big the turnouts are. The place in general is tiny so probably the turnouts are small too. Can't blame him for being crazy with no room and no exercise.

I won't ride a crazy or dangerous horse these days either. I lunge for a few weeks to get him back in shape and get his crazies out or pay a pro to ride him first few times. My bad knee can't take the leaps it used to.

Post Number: 6047
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 04:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Victor starts riding again at Santa Anita today! Hope he has his guardian angel riding along with him. https://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/espinoza-scheduled-to-be-back-working-horses-next-saturday/

Safe rides Victor. Hoping his fitness level is up to it.

Post Number: 6049
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 02:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Victor's first ride back on St. Joe Bay.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/231401/victor-espinoza-back-in-the-saddle-at-santa-anita

Post Number: 6050
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 02:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

“He’ll probably work horses next weekend, and then, we’ll make a decision about when to start taking calls,” said Brian Beach, his agent. Espinoza still has to be cleared by his doctors before he can return to riding full-time. His next appointment isn’t until the end of the month.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-sp-horse-racing-victor-espinoza-20190105-story.html

Espinoza rode trainer Bob Baffert’s first Triple Crown winner American Pharoah, and Espinoza said Baffert has promised him his first winner when he comes back.
“I’m waiting for it,” Espinoza said with a laugh. “The time is getting closer. Baffert is always good to me and always finds me the right horse. When the time is right, he’ll have the right horse for me.”
Baffert agrees.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-sp-horse-racing-victor-espinoza-20190105-story.html

“That’s right,” Baffert said to making that promise. “I’ve got to put him on a good one, maybe find him a homebred [with less ownership say so].”
Espinoza has made many lasting friends through the years.
“[Owners Kosta and Pete Hronis] and John [Sadler] and Baffert, and his wife, Jill, they are always there for me,” Espinoza said. “It was good to have their support when I needed them. They know when they need me, I’m there to help them out.”
The time when he can answer that call is nearing.

Post Number: 6051
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 02:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jockey Victor Espinoza couldn’t contain his smile, his infectious laugh punctuating many of his sentences. He was back Saturday where he felt most comfortable, where the hall of fame jockey is revered, where most of the well wishers were just glad to see him walking.
In the early morning at Santa Anita, Espinoza got on a horse for the first time since July 22 when his mount, Bobby Abu Dhabi, broke down during a workout at Del Mar, leaving the horse dead and Espinoza temporarily paralyzed. He worked St. Joe Bay five furlongs for trainer John Sadler. There were 102 horses that worked that distance Saturday morning; Espinoza’s ride was the third fastest.
He also made the walk from the barns to Clocker’s Corner for the first time in more than five months, being stopped every couple feet with hellos, handshakes and hugs. Victor Espinoza is back, almost.

Post Number: 6052
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 02:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Espinoza's agent, Brian Beach, said Espinoza probably won't get back on another horse until next weekend, as the rider is still going through physical therapy near his home at Del Mar. Beach said Espinoza was only cleared to step up his exercise from walking to jogging a few weeks ago.
"That was probably the hardest part for him. He's a workout fiend," Beach said. "So being restricted from that was probably the biggest thing."
St. Joe Bay's work went without issue, and that was by design. Sadler wanted to give Espinoza a horse who was manageable and talented, and the Saint Anddan gelding fit best.
"Everybody loves him, and the exercise boys like to breeze him," Sadler said of St. Joe Bay. "He's a nice horse and he's a nice, easy ride, so that's why we put him on that one. I'm not going to put him on one who is going to pull too hard or is nutty.
"They asked if (Espinoza) could work one, and I was happy to do it. I didn't get to talk to him that much, but he looks like himself—bright and happy."
The drill will show up on the work tab in plain black and white—five furlongs in 1:00 1/5—but those who watched Saturday will know its significance.
"It's always fun to be around the horses because the horse is an amazing animal," Espinoza said. "In the good and the bad times, the horse is always happy to see you. No matter how you feel inside, or what you're going through, the horses make your day better."

Post Number: 6053
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 02:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Portions of the tight-knit community in the Santa Anita Park barn area paused for a few moments Jan. 5.
As Victor Espinoza made his way out to the main track from trainer John Sadler's barn aboard St. Joe Bay—the first time the jockey has even touched a horse since his nearly catastrophic injury at Del Mar in July—his backside compatriots took notice.

On the path out to the track, groups of grooms stepped out of barns to wish him well. Trainer Karen Headley, aboard a pony, squealed with delight as the Hall of Fame rider went by. As St. Joe Bay continued to make his way out to the main track through the maze of the Santa Anita barn area, seemingly every exercise rider chirped at Espinoza, most ribbing the 46-year-old in Spanish.
"It feels great. The guys—they're happy to see me come back," Espinoza said after he hopped off the grade 2 winner. "

Post Number: 6054
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 02:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

https://www.tmz.com/2019/01/05/jockey-victor-espinoza-back-on-horse-first-time-since-near-death-accident/?adid=sidebarwidget-tmzsports

Post Number: 6055
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 02:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Video of interview and also of Victor crossing the finish line on St. Joe Bay on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1081603278381535232

Post Number: 6056
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 02:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

https://classic.drf.com/news/espinoza-works-horse-nears-return-serious-injuries
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13473
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So tough but humble. Go Victor!
Everything is a choice.
andy (shawnee)
Username: shawnee

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 02:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice to see him bounce back. I thought he would just breeze one on the back stretch. Nice looking bay horse >

Post Number: 6058
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 01:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Victor Espinoza's next workout on a Thoroughbred is on hold pending further medical evaluation, his agent, Brian Beach, said Jan. 11 at Santa Anita Park.
The 46-year-old Hall of Fame jockey worked his first horse Jan. 5 after an absence of more than five months recovering from serious injuries sustained during a training incident at Del Mar in July.

"He's gotten drastically different opinions from two different doctors," Beach said, "so rather than choosing the one we want, we'll seek another opinion and, hopefully, get that done this week and go from there. … We're in a bit of a holding pattern, but there was no race or horse we had been targeting.
"There was a disagreement among doctors as to whether he could ride in races or just exercise horses—two different interpretations of a scan that was taken. You can't ignore the opinion you don't want to believe and go with the opinion you want to believe.
"You've got to do the right thing and get an independent, third evaluation and go from there, but Victor feels great. He's back doing more work with his physical therapist at Del Mar, and he came out of his breeze last Saturday in good shape.
"He has no pain, and he's fitter than he thought he was—all positive signs. We just have to make sure he's doing the right thing at the right time."

Post Number: 6074
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 03:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He's back!!! Working horses again. Sounds like he got the clearance he had been waiting for to ride and race.

https://www.facebook.com/JockeyVictorEspinoza/photos/a.462714303903512/1176730469168555/?type=3&theater

Victor Espinoza said Jan. 27 from Santa Anita Park that doctors have cleared him to resume his riding career.
The 46-year-old Triple Crown winner and Hall of Fame member suffered a fractured vertebra in his neck and a stinger to his left shoulder and arm in a July 22 training mishap at Del Mar and has been sidelined since. But he worked his first horse Jan. 5 and two more Sunday—one for trainer Bob Baffert and another for Jim Cassidy. Saturday, he breezed one for Carla Gaines.

Added Beach, who also represents Victor's nephew, apprentice Asa Espinoza: "We saw a third doctor just to make sure, and basically the third opinion was the same as before. Victor's good to go and we're looking at a return in the middle of February, somewhere in there."

Fly safe Victor, fly safe...
bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 6460
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration