Anyone use Hay Hoops? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » General Discussion » Anyone use Hay Hoops? « Previous Next »

whitepine (whitepine)
Username: whitepine

Post Number: 983
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 05:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They look like a really good idea, but at over $20 for a rectangle of metal tubing I am hesitating! Maybe I can make something similar.

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/hay-hoops-ii-collapsible-wall-feeder-with-net/E015992/
shenandoah (shenandoah)
Username: shenandoah

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 09:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of our horses has one. Kind of a pain for short gals but the horses whole demeanor has changed. He used to consume all his hay before 8 pm and be very anxious in the morning. Now he still has hay at 10 pm and is much calmer about haltering in the morning. I didn't even put 2 and 2 together but his owner said that was the purpose of the purchase and it worked !
If I'm not in the office, I'm in the forest.
lipizzans4me (lipizzans4me)
Username: lipizzans4me

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 4 of them. I bought them without the nets and added my own so the hay net fits the amount of hay each horse needs for the night. The small hole hay net slows them down so the hay lasts longer in the night. They are less anxious for food in the AM and they stay warmer on cold nights. Takes them longer to eat so they have more digestion time.
Southwestern NH
ridingdoo2 (ridingdoo2)
Username: ridingdoo2

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 01:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use one and I love it!! It is SO easy, just open it, fill it and secure it back shut. I usually put a small amount of loose hay on the floor in the stall so he can eat that first to get a base in his belly but in actuality, he often pulls from the net right away!!! I'd buy another!
Alicia Harlov (aharlov)
Username: aharlov

Post Number: 767
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Stateline Hay hoops my barn owner has had been bent and trashed a bit. I have Hay Chix freedom feeders (I think that's the name) and they are amazing and have held up well for my aggressive eater lol!
shenandoah (shenandoah)
Username: shenandoah

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We had a dental clinic yesterday and the dentist said that hay racks were not good for horses. Their jaw is not in a proper natural position to chew food which causes uneven wear on teeth. Now we are all considering removing them. Your thoughts on this?
If I'm not in the office, I'm in the forest.
ridingdoo2 (ridingdoo2)
Username: ridingdoo2

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I heard the same from my horse dentist. It's best to have them feed on ground level or close to it. I hung the hay hoop so that when it's full, it's fairly low. Definitely lower than where the hay rack is placed.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration