Anyone use Hay Hoops? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » General Discussion » Anyone use Hay Hoops? « Previous Next »

whitepine (whitepine)
Username: whitepine

Post Number: 983
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 05:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They look like a really good idea, but at over $20 for a rectangle of metal tubing I am hesitating! Maybe I can make something similar.

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/hay-hoops-ii-collapsible-wall-feeder-with-net/E015992/
shenandoah (shenandoah)
Username: shenandoah

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 09:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of our horses has one. Kind of a pain for short gals but the horses whole demeanor has changed. He used to consume all his hay before 8 pm and be very anxious in the morning. Now he still has hay at 10 pm and is much calmer about haltering in the morning. I didn't even put 2 and 2 together but his owner said that was the purpose of the purchase and it worked !
If I'm not in the office, I'm in the forest.
lipizzans4me (lipizzans4me)
Username: lipizzans4me

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 4 of them. I bought them without the nets and added my own so the hay net fits the amount of hay each horse needs for the night. The small hole hay net slows them down so the hay lasts longer in the night. They are less anxious for food in the AM and they stay warmer on cold nights. Takes them longer to eat so they have more digestion time.
Southwestern NH
ridingdoo2 (ridingdoo2)
Username: ridingdoo2

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 01:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use one and I love it!! It is SO easy, just open it, fill it and secure it back shut. I usually put a small amount of loose hay on the floor in the stall so he can eat that first to get a base in his belly but in actuality, he often pulls from the net right away!!! I'd buy another!
Alicia Harlov (aharlov)
Username: aharlov

Post Number: 767
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Stateline Hay hoops my barn owner has had been bent and trashed a bit. I have Hay Chix freedom feeders (I think that's the name) and they are amazing and have held up well for my aggressive eater lol!
shenandoah (shenandoah)
Username: shenandoah

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We had a dental clinic yesterday and the dentist said that hay racks were not good for horses. Their jaw is not in a proper natural position to chew food which causes uneven wear on teeth. Now we are all considering removing them. Your thoughts on this?
If I'm not in the office, I'm in the forest.
ridingdoo2 (ridingdoo2)
Username: ridingdoo2

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I heard the same from my horse dentist. It's best to have them feed on ground level or close to it. I hung the hay hoop so that when it's full, it's fairly low. Definitely lower than where the hay rack is placed.
whitepine (whitepine)
Username: whitepine

Post Number: 984
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 01:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure about the hay racks being not good for horses. And did the dentist mean hay racks, or hay nets? I have both and my horses pull out the hay then chew it with their heads somewhat down, not on the floor down, but not up in the rack or net. Neither my dentist nor vet have ever said they are bad for horses and none of the horses have teeth/jaw issues.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13466
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 08:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had also heard that about hay racks and also that particles can fall into their eyes. Think about it. Horses were never meant to get their food from up in the air. They are ground grazers so it would make sense that there would be some detriment to their using a hay rack. I use the small hole hay nets hung low. If tied properly they are safe.
Everything is a choice.
Alicia Harlov (aharlov)

Post Number: 769
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 08:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a mustang and often see him in his paddock pulling leaves from (safe) trees etc. Many have noted that in the wild horses browse in bushes at different heights and trees as much as the ground. I've heard that about hay nets, but have heard differing opinions from dentists and bodyworkers on nets.
Tallyho (gbaedeker)
Username: gbaedeker

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 01:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chiming in a little late here, but just because the dentist happened to be here yesterday. He said that horses should ALWAYS eat off the ground! :-) He said he could tell that my mare does and that he can't overstate how important it is. And when you think about it . . . horses have eaten only off the ground for a few million years.

I've always thought that it was important for their backs and overall musculoskeletal condition, as well as the debris they pick up which helps keep their teeth in shape. However, he said it's hugely important for the condition of their teeth, too--has to do with how the jaw/facial muscles work with head up vs. head down, how the chewing surface of the teeth come into contact with each other (if I remember correctly what he said).

FWIW!! :-)
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13475
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Browsing on trees and leaves is different than constantly having to retrieve food from an elevated height.
Everything is a choice.
Alicia Harlov (aharlov)

Post Number: 771
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know anyone near me who exclusively feeds from hanging slow feed nets.. I wouldn't want that either.
Gigi Bee (gigi)
Username: gigi

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 03:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The barn where I board has wall mounted hay racks in each stall and hay nets (like the hoops but home made) in the pastures. This is the first barn where I've been that has that set up. I've never been crazy about it but you have to weigh the good with the not so great when you board. I think I'll ask that her stall hay be fed on the ground. She typically pulls most of it out of the hay rack any way.
Alicia Harlov (aharlov)

Post Number: 772
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 04:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your horse is barefoot, and you want the slow feed aspect, you could use a Hay Pillow. I've used that in the past.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration