How's your hay situation this year? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » General Discussion » How's your hay situation this year? « Previous Next »

Chocolate Chip (chocolate_chip)
Username: chocolate_chip

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With all the rain in New England this year, how's everyone's hay situation? I'm pretty worried about finding decent hay this year. Did anyone get any 2nd cutting hay? How was the 1st cutting?
CeeJay (thecountrywife)
Username: thecountrywife

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We were able to get a decent first cutting, but it's been too wet for a second, though we've tried a few times. From what I'm hearing, the cost of hay is going to be high this year.
"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive."
Jackie Silverman (morskip)
Username: morskip

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 03:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our barn got a second cutting problem and it was their larges load of 2nd cutting they have ever had.
bobflyby (bobflyby)
Username: bobflyby

Post Number: 569
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2018 - 09:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just had a little over two ton delivered. Beautiful hay by the woman I have been getting hay from for years was almost in tears because she has 300 acres that she needs to hay but can't due to rain, and the cold at night makes the hay wet. The humidity this summer/fall has not helped to cure the hay. She is beside herself. I feel so bad, the life of a farmer is not easy. So yes it is going to be a difficult year for hay locally. I don't know about other parts of the country.

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2018 - 09:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just looked at what I wrote suppose to say no problem. How do I get of auto correct.
bobflyby (bobflyby)
Username: bobflyby

Post Number: 570
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 09:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jackie if you don't mind me asking where did you get your hay from?

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our barn owner grows some on her own land and then she buys the rest from the man who cuts and baked it for her. The barn is in Somers,CT. It grew well because of the rain and we ended up with one week of sun in August to get it in.
NH_Dressage (nh_dressage)
Username: nh_dressage

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 09:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My local hay producer was not happy about this season's weather from a hay growing perspective. He told me he got plenty hay from the fields, but unlike most years, the quality was not as good as he would like across the season. The last crop was later than usual due to the odd weather.
Natural Horsemanship & Dressage : It's all about Happy Horses
TJlonerider (tjlonerider)
Username: tjlonerider

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2018 - 09:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My guy, in southern Maine, had a great 1st crop but lousy 2nd crop. It was too wet and humid as opposed to last year with the drought. He had to cut it late so it's lacking in nutrition and that beautiful soft, green color.
Thinking that I'm going back to Canadian hay next year.
sea of horsies (sea_of_horsies)
Username: sea_of_horsies

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The “northern” hay that was delivered that looks like 1st cut is being called second cut and none of the horses will eat it. It’s frustrating from what my barn owner tells me.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration