Anyone familiar with donkeys-keeping ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » General Discussion » Archive through October 15, 2018 » Anyone familiar with donkeys-keeping with cows question « Previous Next »

cashela (cashela)
Username: cashela

Post Number: 2423
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 08:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a friend who is having issues with coyotes and has a herd of cattle on pasture in VT that he is thinking of adding a donkey to. I've never owned a donkey so I don't know a lot about them. I know that he would have to keep it away from any cattle grain but he feeds wrapped round bales in the winter and I know if he gets a donkey it's going to be kept with the cows and it's going to have access to that hay. So my question is, is that hay going to make a donkey sick? How do people that use them as "guardians" get around that issue? I mean he would feed it regular hay but I'm sure the cows would probably eat that and then the donkey would still have access to the wrapped round bale... I'm thinking this isn't a good option for him...
Missouri Fox Trotters and Standardbreds...they do it all!!
delilah (delilah)
Username: delilah

Post Number: 3958
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he having an issue with coyotes? We have had them go cut thru their pasture and hunt, but never had one attack the cows, ours are mostly beef cows and but we did a calf born out there and again no issue, although pretty sure Mama would have taken out anything that looked at her baby, them angus are a bit testy!!
cashela (cashela)
Username: cashela

Post Number: 2424
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's an issue with the coyotes and calves.
Missouri Fox Trotters and Standardbreds...they do it all!!
andy (shawnee)
Username: shawnee

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 08:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a donkey, and he was a great guard for our 2 horses. But I would never let any equine (including donkeys) eat wrapped hay "silage". They do not have 3 stomachs like cows to break it down. Put out a couple of trail cams to identify the problem and then hire a coyote hunter to solve the problem. coyotes can be hunted day or night open season year round and there is a trapping season in the fall, also.
delilah (delilah)
Username: delilah

Post Number: 3960
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 08:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get a Llama!!
bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 6369
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 07:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only wild critters I've had problems with have been porcupines.
My neighbor has a Angus beef cattle operation across from my house about 75' from my front porch. There are about 100 mama cows and calves in the spring and summer. They abut my horse pasture.
I get a pretty good view of what goes on. The mothers can be pretty protective of their young. If any coyote's show up, it's usually to clean up what's left of the afterbirth along with the help of vultures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CxKk9ubtGbJa1UvdA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6eGyvafzKjS7FafHA
memom (memom)
Username: memom

Post Number: 5151
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Love the 2nd pic, horses and coyote seem to know they’re on candid camera
"Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain."(author?)MA

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration