Rant - stresses of getting back to ri... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » General Discussion » Archive through October 15, 2018 » Rant - stresses of getting back to riding « Previous Next »

tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3612
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 01:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm fat and out of shape, with only two out of four good limbs. My bad knee never feels right for anything. Surgeon years ago said the surgery was a bandaid and one more dislocation would need a big surgery that would leave three months in an immobilizer brace and a year recovery.
I just got cleared by my wrist surgeon to start doing things again but no sudden jerks by strong bucking or pulling horses.
I got a nice good brave younger ruder to partially lease my younger horse which helps financially, but I'd like to go back to riding him two or three days a week so it's fair to him to be in more consistent work and to prevent injuries from only going out a couple of days a week then being stupid and leaping around too much.
Rode him for the first time since January a couple of days ago. In the small arena so should have been quiet. Only time I could get there was when all the teenagers were having their after school lessons. Constant traffic of horses coming and going. One teen insisted on setting up a bunch of raised cavalletti which made him nuts because he thought we were jumping. I asked her to use the large arena instead but she refused. She started jumping right next to him, he went airborne. I took them down, she got off and put them back. I explained we were both out of work and I was recovering from surgery and she needed to wait til I was done or go to the larger indoor. She obnoxiously smirked and refused so I got the owner/trainer and he put them away and told her to get out.
This was when I was lunging. Had to lunge a long time before he settled down.
By the time I got on he was perfect but I only rode for five minutes since he'd already done so much leaping and spooking with the other horse drama. He's not normally spooky or that excitable, it's because he's sat for so long.
If I had disobeyed any adult and showed no compassion to someone injured at that age, my parents would have donated all my pets to the shelter, grounded me forever to this day and I would have lost all privileges and been volunteering every day doing the most demeaning jobs plus cleaning toilets at home for the rest of my life!
How do people raise such disrespectful monster teenagers? Condescending little demon.
My dog is more respectful to people than she was! I'd be ashamed to leave the house if I raised a creature like that.
I don't like being such a chicken but my knee and arm aren't as strong for spooks and bucks as they were and it was my first time riding since January. I can't afford to not work for a year, I'd be homeless and couldn't keep my horses.
At her age I was befriending the kids in my class who had no friends,taming stray feral kittens and helping my mom heal wounded birds. And helping my grandma and Aunt carry groceries with no car in the city, working part time and helping raise my infant cousin. I politely obeyed every adult who spoke to me.
maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 5992
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 03:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tb, you were not being a chicken you were wise and responsible, instead of foolhardy. I really feel sorry for kids that are so disrespectful and no compassion in their hearts. It has to make me wonder how they were raised. Not well prob and feel bad for the life they will lead being so rude and cold to others.

So happy to hear you have a rider for your boy. I hope it helps his training and I hope she gets along well with him and sticks with it.

You have to take care of yourself so you don't hurt yourself more then you won't be able to enjoy your horses or be there for them.

It is so hard when you board and you can't get the quiet time you need. That is really hard. My horse was badly abused/beaten by a trainer I boarded at years ago, so badly I had a very hard time calming her down on the lunge. I moved her to another boarding facility and was trying to work out her fears and always had a hard time trying to find a quiet place. Try to find a time when you won't run into her again. You and your horse deserve that quiet time needed.
festive (festiveone)
Username: festiveone

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 04:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not all teens are like this, it's just the ones that are, REALLY stand out.
At the barn I had Rhett at there was a "lesson" program. It wasnt the teens I, and the other boarders had issues with.. it was the adults! The kids were polite, not being taught about safely handling horses. But they at least listened to us, and tried.

You just have to take care of YOU first. At least the trainer stepped up. I have been places where even that wouldnt have happened.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3613
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 07:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So have I, I've been places where the trainers were the problems. This guy is very nice and very safety focused. And there's a much larger indoor with jumps always set up, so I wasn't being unreasonable to want the small one to be quiet for a short ride.
I'm limited on when I can go. If I go on weekends I have to bring my dog and unless I leave him in the car he cries and whines and barks at everyone if he's locked in a stall and can't see me. That sets off the owner's possessive dog and i don't want my dog banned. If he's tied where he can see me he herds and barks and snaps at the cranky horse on the end who kicks his stall, and will bark at strangers. Still setting off owner's dog and my stupid reactive horse. If I go weekend nights when no one's there, I don't feel smart riding alone on the property.
Weekdays I can only go the two days a week that the dog is in doggy daycare. So I can only be there so long before I have to rush back to get him before the daycare closes. I can only afford two days a week of daycare and the other days I rush straight back from work since that's already a long time without a walk.
The horses live a few minutes away from my job but almost an hour from me.
Hard to coordinate everything to say the least!
I'm just going to lunge my crazy old mare first from now on. She clears out the bratty teens easily. She does the nice electric snorting thoroughbred floating trot, head high, eyes blazing and tail arched, then launches into a fast almost gallop, squealing,leaping, snorting, whinnying and bucking the whole time until I get her back to a trot. We do a few rounds of this with me trying to get her back to a walk and her deciding cantering, bucking and squealing and whinnying is much more fun. She rocket launches over any poles in there.
The teenyboppers' horses usually start wigging out and they exit to the big arena or get off fast lol.
I only started with her son so he'd have more time to cool off before his dinner. But from now on she gets lunged first to clear out the undesirables lol.
She was MAD that he went first the other day anyway. The minute she saw me she started pacing back and forth in her stall like she always does when she wants to work. It had rained for two days so no turnout. I'm sure that added to him being reactive too.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3614
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 07:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the words of support though. And yes the woman leasing him absolutely loves him, she keeps raving about him. She's only ridden him a few times but is taking at least one lesson a week from the trainer there, and every time she rides I get a bunch of happy texts.
He definitely tested her and bucked a bit the first day and she sat through it fine and just said how comfortable and fun he was. Not intimidated at all. She doesn't even lunge him first anymore. But she's training to run a marathon or half marathon and is very fit and athletic.

He looks like he likes her.

Don't get me going again on the teenager. I'm tempted to find out her name and wait for her parents to pick her up so I can tell them exactly what they raised.
festive (festiveone)

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 07:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tbaby- chances are, they either already know. Or they don't care. I'm glad the woman you have riding him is having fun with him. And that your mare is doing well and feeling good.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3615
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks festive. She's definitely feeling all the grain she's getting. That's the only reason I still lunge her at all, and to keep some muscle on her and give her a job. She demands it.
The teen might have her parents fooled into thinking she's a little angel. The trainer didn't seem to believe me at first and actually told me that she's usually a good kid. I told him that maybe he saw that side of her because he taught her lessons but she was very rude and inconsiderate to me. Still not sure if he believed me. Little budding sociopath, probably bullies the unpopular kids at her school too. She had absolute confidence and defiance and a nasty smirk when talking to me and had the nerve to tell me the poles weren't causing my horse to act up. Like I don't know a horse I bred and trained from birth.
At that age I never would have challenged any adult like that.
When the leasee was riding him for the first time she was amazed that I literally predicted his every little move and what it meant, ie, slight tensing neck plus one ear up and one ear back means he's going to buck, both ears up, he's going to spook , he bloats, going down the long side to the left he's going to drift and try to scrape your leg off on the wall to test you, watch the look in his eye, he's faking being on the bit to get his head down, etc. I literally read his mind and predicted his every move right before he did it. I know it sounds crazy but I've had my horses so long and we've been through so much together we basically talk to each other. They understand me and I swear I can read their language. What I can't, they dummy down and express very clearly for their beloved dumb human.

Snot nosed teen thought she knows my horse better. Sure.
festive (festiveone)

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tbaby- I was that way with Rhett. It was amazing just how close he and I were. It's one of the things I am really missing. I remember one time, I was trying to pick his hooves in the stall- he did NOT cross tie! LOL There wasn't much light on the side I was trying to clean. And I made an off hand comment about it. He snatched his hoof away. And then turned his body so that the light was better on that side. Til the end, he would have followed me anywhere. without question. or hesitation. geez I miss him so darn much
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3616
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's amazing. Ive had some pretty scary moments talking to most of my animals where I really thought I was insane. It's incredible how much you can communicate with them.
I never talk about my younger horse because he's always been overshadowed by my bond with his mom. I'd always prefer to ride her and he can't compete with the relationship I have with her. He knows it but they have their own bond which I can't touch.
He's always the good natured feisty prankster. On some level I think he understood that he should behave riding the other day and save the leaping for lunging. He might have been tired but he wasn't really settled down when I got on. I just didn't want to keep working him and risk an injury or colic plus my own nerves were shot. I probably should have waited for another day. But he didn't do one thing wrong. Training I'm sure, but he probably picked up that he should behave and I wasn't as strong and confident as usual.
They've both tried to tell me things many times. Even my new dog will hang out at the park and then I call him and go to the gate and sometimes he walks away and I start to get mad and frustrated that he'll never be good at recall. But he's just going off to his favorite spot to go to the bathroom one last time then cones running over. Basically saying, wait this way you don't have to take me out later dummy. Lol.
Each animal is unique and you'll never replace Rhett. But you can have another unique bond with another animal someday with time. I really believe Rhett is forever in your heart watching over you.

I'm finally bonding with my current dog and don't consider giving him back to the shelter every week lol. But I still have my last dog picture on my nightstand and in my phone and everywhere and still miss him terribly. It's a different love. I don't let this dog play with the old dog's favorite toys, different bowl for food but some same water bowls, different harnesses and leashes, different nicknames. They are/were very different in toy and game preferences. And I truly believe the last dog was my heart dog, we bonded from day one. This dog is actually better trained in many ways now.
Same with my horses the young one's much easier and low maintenance. The trainer rode him the first time and said he was pleasant and uncomplicated. Many trainers rode my mare and not one ever said that about her! Anything but lol.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3618
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 07:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well had a peaceful quiet ride alone after work yesterday. The teenagers were there circling like little vultures but didn't ride till after I was done. I don't know if that was just luck or if the trainer said something to them.
I did start out lunging my mare but she was dead lame so stopped that quickly. Neither me nor the owner/trainer could find any heat or swelling anywhere, no rocks in her feet, I hadn't been there for three days and he said nothing unusual happened. She ate all her food and seemed fine otherwise. He said she seemed normal today. I'll bet it's another abscess or foot bruise from kicking the stall wall, which she still did after I put her back in and took out her son to tide. I finally called a firm no a couple of times when she did it so she stopped.
Apparently she only does it when I'm there or at grain time. I knew she was jealous. She doesn't want me doing anything with her son at all other than bringing him over to her. No carrots, no petting, no grooming and certainly no riding or lunging. She sees him as her personal property. I think she views me as her pet too lol.
But he was good and not at all spooky or stupid. A bit of a brat for getting on, and just out of shape, just like me. I could definitely feel that neither of us have any balance or strength for riding, he flails through turns and circles as do I.
maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 5995
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2018 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad you had a peaceful quiet ride. Seems like your trainer set those disrespectful kids straight, at least for now...
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3627
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 04:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll take all the peace and quiet I can get for as long as I can enjoy it!

I've had quite enough stress and turbulence, especially with work cr@p which seems unavoidable at times.

Too bad there are so many teenagers there, they seem to bring drama and chaos, although most of them seem nice enough I guess. They're all very friendly when I bring my dog because they all want to pet him.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration