Stone dust riding area Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » General Discussion » Stone dust riding area « Previous Next »

ridingdoo2 (ridingdoo2)
Username: ridingdoo2

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 09:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently put up a round pen. The footing is currently compacted stone dust. Our plan was/is to put 1-2" of washed sand on top of the stone dust. We haven't gotten that far yet. Is it okay to ride in it as is? Any potential injury to the horse? We basically do flat work, W/T/C. Thanks!
BonBon (bonbon)
Username: bonbon

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it will get quite slippery when it is wet, and can be hard, very dusty, and unforgiving when dry, If you have a way to keep it watered and dragged, it should be ok for light to moderate work. if you have a horse that is prone to sore feet, (very flat soles and low heels)it may cause soreness.
phfeventer (phfeventer)
Username: phfeventer

Post Number: 636
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my plan was for the same(stone dust base, sand on top)....I actually never followed thru with adding the sand on top of my stone dust, because I loved the fact that it drained better than most sand rings I've seen. Never had an issue with it being slippery. Time now for updating, I just plan to add more stone dust. It does pack though, so needs some maintenance.
Three Fold Farm (weewitch)
Username: weewitch

Post Number: 450
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also have a stone dust round pen. It drains very well and for the work you do in a round pen, it serves well. I also do not find it slippery and while it can get compacted, a quick drag on the more aggressive setting on my harrow and we're good to go. I will say, as I've added stone dust over the year and the base gets deeper, I have less problems with it compacting (I assume because it drains so well the top few inches stay very dry). I don't find I need to water it.
Breeders of Canadian Horses
chrisl49 (chrisl49)
Username: chrisl49

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 07:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One thing you need to know about stone dust: it's a generic term for the by-product of crushing stone, therefore the characteristics of stone dust as a riding surface are highly variable depending on the actual composition of the stone that was crushed as well as other factors like the shear angles of the grains etc. The bottom line is that all stone dust is not the same, so you can't generalize about it. When I owned a farm in NH, our indoor arena had only a stone dust riding surface. Once we controlled the dust with Mag Chloride, it was great to ride on. It never compacted hard. It remained supportive, yet soft. It was never slippery, though it was in an indoor. Yet, before we discovered Mag, we had to keep it wet to keep the dust down, and we never experienced a hint of slipperiness. But these observations only apply to the stone dust we used, as other compositions may be entirely different.
bill gokey (bronco_billy)
Username: bronco_billy

Post Number: 6419
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 05:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My outdoor arena was exclusively stone dust but over the years it did pack fairly hard. Because the nature of my horse business, mostly buying green horses, training and selling. If a horse got the best of me and I was heading to the ground, my body decided softer was better so I applied a layer of sand, 3-4" give or take, a little more in the round pen. The addition of sand made the footing and landing and decent compromise.
The whole arena drained pretty well because of the layout, heavy rain drained off to the low spots. The horses had no problem with the footing but I think if it was any deeper than that they might slip.
Over the years I got a little better by modifying my training techniques with the help of clinics, dvd's, tapes etc. so I stay in the saddle a little better.
As Chris said, It depends on the material and how you're going to use it.
I watched Clinton Anderson and his great rider (never did get her name) yesterday at the Equine Affair. Day 2, I missed the previous day. She had the green horse riding pretty solid within an hour. The training led up to roll backs along the wall. Deep sand would probably not be good.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration