Ct Horse Cremation Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » General Discussion » Archive through October 31, 2018 » Ct Horse Cremation « Previous Next »

flyhawk (flyhawk)
Username: flyhawk

Post Number: 2463
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2018 - 07:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone used this service? Where you happy with the results (not that anyone is happy at this prospect)?
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 13159
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2018 - 09:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is everything ok flyhawk?
Everything is a choice.
festive (festiveone)
Username: festiveone

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have not heard one bad thing about them. I will be using them later this year for my boy.
flyhawk (flyhawk)

Post Number: 2464
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 08:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, everything is not OK. I had new Xrays done last Thursday and I was astonished to see how badly his foot deteriorated this winter.I knew the weather made him very uncomfortable but this is a lot more serious than being uncomfortable. Lots more rotation and thinning of the sole. I have an excellent farrier that worked a miracle again and has my guy in a special type of frog support. I had to work the day the vet was there and have been unable to coordinate our times for a discussion but once I saw the Xray my heart dropped. Amazingly, my horse is in good
spirits and I am having a really hard time absorbing all of this and the probable outcome. At this point, I will take him home for the summer and as long as he is comfortable, he can hang out and be a horse.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 13161
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2018 - 07:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ugh! I'm sorry. Let his behavior guide you. His xrays may be bad but if he is showing you he's dealing with it then go by that. That said...I am wondering too if I should let my mini go through another winter. He's doing well now....but if this is a cycle that is going to be repeated then I don't think I want to do that to him. It's so difficult when there's a large "if" involved.

Is your farrier using equithane? I know some horses do well with it. My old mare couldn't tolerate the sole pressure from it when we tried it with her, but it's worth trying.
Everything is a choice.
flyhawk (flyhawk)

Post Number: 2468
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2018 - 09:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know what equithane is? Is it the rubbery looking stuff they put into the the bottom of the shoe? If so, yes he uses that in the winter. My farrier is wonderful and super knowledgeable. He and the vet both said they don't even know how he can walk at this point yet he dragged me up the hill to his paddock this weekend at a trot! Unfortunately, I have been through this before and know when a horse has had "enough". He's definitely not there yet.
flyhawk (flyhawk)

Post Number: 2469
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2018 - 09:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW, I got a quote from Ct. cremation. It was pretty $$$$. Not saying it's not worth it, but definitely something to consider before just saying yes.
War Baby (irish1)
Username: irish1

Post Number: 396
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2018 - 09:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Flyhawk, I cannot recommend CT Horse Cremation ENOUGH. They are extremely compassionate and I literally don't know what I would have done if I had not bookmarked their information on a whim years before I thought I'd ever need it.

My old QH died suddenly at 1 a.m., a few hours after being seen by the vet. I stumbled out of bed to check on him- expecting him to look over the door, indignant at being disturbed in the wee hours- only to find him down and gone. To say I reeled out of the barn is an understatement; I've never felt such a sickening surge of adrenaline in my life.

I literally did not know what to do but, thankfully, my laptop was sitting open on the kitchen counter and there was the bookmark. I picked up the phone and called, expecting to leave a message for the morning- imagine my surprise when a sleepy voice answered the phone!

Dom and his guys were at my house by 3 a.m. and took care of everything. Yes, it was not inexpensive.. but I got 4 men out of their beds in the middle of the night and they were incredibly kind and compassionate. Dom and his wife drove back a few days later to bring me Jazzy's ashes.

A terrible experience was made much easier by CT Horse Cremation- please feel free to PM me if you would like further information.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 13162
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2018 - 04:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes...that is it! Sounds like you are doing the best you can under the circumstances.

Well it certainly sounds like he still has lot's of life left in him...regardless of his xrays...just don't tell him, LOL!
Everything is a choice.
festive (festiveone)
Username: festiveone

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2018 - 04:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

War Baby- my boy still acts like he's 2. Comes running through the pasture. Plays. Chases his pasture mates. Eats everything I put in front of him. And is still keeping his weight on.
But I have been being called all types of names by the newest boarder. I would like to think that after owning him for 14 years. I would KNOW when my horse was done with it. Despite the rigors of old age.
tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3440
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2018 - 04:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Festive that's awful. Some people like to think they know everything and have the right to judge others when they know absolutely nothing.
Just listen to your horse you know him best. And try to avoid the idiot.
Flyhawk I'm sorry you got such bad news on the x rays. But I've seen animals look awful diagnostically and still act completely fine. Your horse will tell you when he's done. It's smart to be prepared but try to enjoy however long you have with him.
My mares x rays we're so bad from her abscesses last year the vets said there was no way she'd have a chance without surgery. I thought she was too thin and weak for surgery and I couldn't afford it anyway and she seemed like she was giving up so I was going to put her down. But then she decided to bounce back and heal all by herself. No surgery gained over three hundred pounds back, started eating and leaping and bucking and escaping out of her stall and racing around the property. She jumped the mounting block one day. I'm sure her x rays are awful but improved and show healing.
If he's acting happy that's what's most important. He'll tell you when he's done.
flyhawk (flyhawk)

Post Number: 2470
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2018 - 08:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After a long and very informative phone conversation with my vet, I am definitely NOT ready to give up on my guy. We are trying a few new treatment options and hoping for the best. I have owned him for 14 years and know him better than anyone. Even the vet said that regardless of the Xrays, seeing my guy in person and his attitude made him think long and hard about options we can consider.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 13164
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 07:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good for your vet flyhawk! It's so nice when they REALLY see what is standing in front of them.
When I had my old mare my farrier used Steward clogs for 2 months and then went with a PLR shoe and those helped her immensely. They make breakover very easy for the horse and relieves any stress on the laminae.
Everything is a choice.
flyhawk (flyhawk)

Post Number: 2471
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is a Steward clog and a PLR shoe?
Winter did him in. He has such a hard time with the cold weather. That's why I board him out in the winter - nice cozy barn and warm stall with wrapped legs. Even that was touch and go this year. Plus he developed winter laminitis. I'll do my best!
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)

Post Number: 13166
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 07:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a rubber clog that relieves stress on the DDT, protects and supports the bottom of the foot and allows for effortless breakover. http://www.shopedss.com/edss-steward-clog/
The only downside was they are a bit slippery when a horse is on wet grass.
https://thehorse.com/150206/clogs-to-treat-laminitis/
I prefer the rubber clog over woodne ones as the rubber ones are put on with regular horseshoe nails.

The PLR shoe carries over the ease of breakover relieving stress on the walls. http://www.shopedss.com/aluminum-performance-leverage-reduction-plr-shoes/
Everything is a choice.
RM (r86)
Username: r86

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 05:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CT Horse Cremation was absolutely amazing. Kind, compassionate, and professional. Yes, it was expensive, but it was worth it to me to know that he was taken care of until the very end, especially because they were able to coordinate timing with my vet. They always knew what to say as well to make the situation as easy as possible. I hope you don't need to use them, but if you do, they were wonderful.
Sue (suziq12982)
Username: suziq12982

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 04:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also recommend CT Horse Cremation. I called them at around 8 PM and they arrived at my house at 11 PM (a 2.5 hour drive for them). They were so gentle with my mare's body, treating her with so much respect. Kind, compassionate and professional--like RM said.

If I remember correctly it was $2100 (or $2300?) when my mare was cremated in February 2016. I think it was worth every penny.
Sue (mammie01524)
Username: mammie01524

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 05:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I highly recommend CT.. We lost our mare during that extreme cold.. We were all a wreck.. We called CT and they were so understanding, caring and removed her with dignity.. It was $1950. They were leaving for vacation on the following Weds. and said it would be a week later that she would return. We were leaving for vacation the day they returned.. They went out of their way to have her back to us by Tuesday, 3 days after they took her and the day before they left.. If anyone needs this and I'm sorry if you do, I would highly recommend them...
dodles87 (bigbayhorse)
Username: bigbayhorse

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 02:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CT Horse Cremation is amazing. Will use them again when that time comes.
suzy (suzy5683)
Username: suzy5683

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 09:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They were awesome! Hand delivered my guy to my home. They were so sensitive to my needs and I felt so secure that they treated my guy with nothing but the dignity and respect he deserved. The ashes were put in velvet bags, in a beautiful trunk that I have in my living room. Itís very descrete, no one knows what it is - it just looks like horsey decor :-)
willysmom (willysmom)
Username: willysmom

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 07:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, they were wonderful when my boy passed away. My vet called and they were there to hold me while I sobbed when my vet let him go. They were so kind and treated my horse with the utmost care, taking his mane and tail for me. They even polished his shoes and they are sitting on top of his trunk that holds his ashes. I couldn't even move much less think of these little details that if I overlooked I'd be kicking myself forever over. And they never forget you. It's been two years and when I see them at EA I always get a big hug. So sensitive to your needs. I can't say enough great things. I'm sorry for your loss but if anything can make it better they can.
mollycat (mollycat)
Username: mollycat

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to arrange horse disposal after euthanasia, but cannot afford something like CT Horse Cremation.
Someone recommended Robert Smith but the number I have is not working. Any other contact numbers or recommendations would help me so much. (Horse is 495/SE Mass area)
Draftgirl (draftgirl)
Username: draftgirl

Post Number: 866
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 04:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My vet highly recommends them. They are in my speeddial in case I ever need them.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration