Hoof Abscess Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Click over to A&B Barns!
Bulletin Board & Chat » General Discussion » Archive through December 12, 2017 » Hoof Abscess « Previous Next »

Amy (isany1sane)
Username: isany1sane

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 06:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mare developed an abscess on Saturday. She was three legged lame and had some swelling up her leg. It popped out her coronary band yesterday. She is obviously more comfortable, but is still quite lame. Does anyone have any experience with a horse who stayed significantly lame (3.5/5) after it popped? Generally, I have seen them pop and the horse is almost sound after that. thanks for your thoughts and advice.
slammie (slammie)
Username: slammie

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2017 - 06:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She could have another one or even 2. jmo
They can have more than one. Good Luck
Performance Standardbreds, what a ride. ****RI***
sarad (sarad)
Username: sarad

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 01:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TBtrak on this board has an older mare whose had abscess problems most of this summer. Posts are in the archive. Soaking helps.
Beantown Massachusetts
Abby Peterson (abbyp)
Username: abbyp

Post Number: 244
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 08:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right, there can be more than one, or maybe it didn't drain completely. Also if it was really huge, it could have resulted in some weakening of the laminar connection, and/or the sole could be thin, etc. Ones that drain out the coronary band are often big and deep.
Abby Peterson (abbyp)
Username: abbyp

Post Number: 245
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 09:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also should have added, if it came on that fast and popped that fast, it might be worth ruling out a foreign object/puncture wound. Usually hoof abscesses are sterile (just the hoof's way of getting rid of crud from bruising or whatever) but if they are caused by something external getting inside the hoof capsule then it can become a more dire situation. So I would at least look very carefully at the hoof and see if you can see any injury on the sole or frog, a nailhead, etc., and if not and she stays lame, I might have the vet out for an X-ray just to be safe.
tbtrakh (tbaby)
Username: tbaby

Post Number: 3239
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 09:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes my very senior mare had repeating abscesses in both her front feet all summer after not having any abscesses for over a decade. She now has Cushing's and I mistakenly moved her to a very rocky 24/7 turnout place with awful care and a horrible owner who flat out refused to give her pain meds or let me get there at night to wrap her feet and medicate her myself, and gave both my horses disgusting brown murky water every night, which neither of them would drink and dehydrated them even further and contributed to weight loss in summer.
Soaking with Epsom salts helped, if you can get the horse to stand in a bucket, packing and wrapping a bad hoof in animalintrex pads helps speed healing, slow walking hoof abscesses helps as soaking helps draining to heal quicker
maresrgreat (maresrgreat)
Username: maresrgreat

Post Number: 5644
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 01:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When my mare had that years ago, soaking in warmish to hottish epsom salts, as warm/hot as possible for a while and then animalintex poultice. Healed and drew it right out. Hoping your mare is okay. It is so hard to see them lame. It was a lot of work but it resolved it for us. Thinking as others said there may be another one ready to pop thats still in ther.
jcluvhrses (jcluvhrses)
Username: jcluvhrses

Post Number: 12891
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 01:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you checked her pulse in that foot? If it's a bounding pulse then she could have more going on in the foot and you might want to have the vet out to make sure there's no infection.
Everything is a choice.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3241
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 05:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It could be a deeper abscess that is deeper in the hoof. My mare had abscesses in both her front feet that had gone all the way to the bone and almost needed surgery but wound up healing without surgery. One hoof in particular the bone was affected and is still healing from them, started in July. Completely sound for a month or two now, which I'm afraid to say. She several times had abscesses pop and drain but kept going lame again, varied between three legged and lying down refusing to get up and needed max dose if banamine twice a day to slightly off.
She had laminitic changes that x rays showed but never foundered.
If your horse is still lame after abscess ruptures, especially very lame, a vet and x rays are probably the best way to get clear answers. Could also be a very deep bruise which could take a long time to grow out yo where it's visible. Sometimes bruises and abscesses co-occur.
My mare many years ago had a deep hoof bruise that took several months to grow out. She kept going on and off lame.
Amy (isany1sane)

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the thoughts and advice. I have been soaking her in Epsom salts and iodine. As well as wrapping and poultice. The vet came out today and said that because it is draining through the top of the hoof, it is taking longer. She also believes that there is another abscess in there. I was annoyed because the practice sent her without a x-ray machine. Vet said to give the horse the weekend and call if she is too bad.
Amy (isany1sane)

Post Number: 181
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 08:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, interestingly enough, she popped another abscess out another hole in the same general area. She is almost 100% sound. Vet thinks because of the wet/ dry weather we have been having here over the past month, combined with her incredibly hard hooves, the perfect conditions were created for abscesses to form.
tbtrakh (tbaby)

Post Number: 3245
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 09:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having gone through abscess hell for months now, I'm glad she's feeling so much better!!! Ideally you still want to get some x-rays just to be sure everything is healing and there's nothing hidden and brewing.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration